Previous in Forum: Looking for a Drill Bit to Drill Stainless Steel   Next in Forum: Fluid droplet size measurement
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Active Contributor

Oil additive as Viscosity Modifier

05/29/2008 2:10 AM

Good Day..

I knew that Oil additive are used to improve the base oil into a better performing lubricant.

Does anyone know Oil additive that acted as viscosity modifier ? ( makes oil's viscosity lower for cold start ). Pls kindly tell me what is the formula for this Oil additive , where can i get them? the percentage should I mix with base oil to get best performing lubricant etc..

Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Re: Oil additive as Viscosity Modifier

05/29/2008 3:13 AM

Follow the original equipment manufacturer's operation & maintenance manual's instructions. The risks to an engine as a result of an ill-advised experimental blending of oils are not worth it.

Get the oil changed for one more suited to the ambient temperature of operation by a professional. With the paid-for service comes the indemnity that will protect the purchaser in the unlikely event of engine damage.

In reply to #1

05/29/2008 4:10 AM

I had read the article of " oil additive composition for internal combustion engines". the article stated that Oil additive contain of Zinc dialkyldithiophospate ( ZnDTP ) , fatty amide ( an aliphatic amide) and fluorographite ( CFx) could make better performance both on combustion and lubricant. Gee. I completely blind for this chemical..

They had test this Oil additive at Vehicle with Diesel engine and Gasoline Engine with quite significant result. What i want to know is ..does anyone knew this Oil additive? where can I get them?

Thanks for any suggestion

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: The cigarette-stained drunkard living in the cardboard box outside Marks & Sparks delivery entrance, Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon.
In reply to #2

05/29/2008 4:25 AM

Try Romford Market. <Splutter>

There's none in Basildon at the moment. <Wheeze>

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #2

05/29/2008 11:57 PM

If this is what you are needing...Caveat Emptor!

Power-User

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #2

05/30/2008 12:48 AM

Viscostiy modifiers are simply thickeners that make the oil thicker as engine temps. rise to operating temp. Beware of the very many " additives " that are out there to make your old goat perform like a new stallion !

The best thing you can do for your low mileage or high mileage engine is ; change the oil and filter when you are supposed to ! Use the best oil , 100% synthetic will extend your oil changes to double the normal . Note : Use the best synthetic oil FILTER , see FRAM for best selection . Choosing synthetic oil is a no brainer but choosing a proper synthetic oil FILTER is also most important as they are built to withstand the longer oil change intervals ! If you are still interested in additives i would suggest you go to a military or aircraft maintenance site and see what they do. I do .

In reply to #5

05/30/2008 7:21 PM

I give you one vote for synthetic. It is good choice for cold or hot climate. However, your choice of filter "Fram," not so good. Fram has the lowest rating for performance the world round. Fram filter have fewer pleats for filtering and the the bypass valve often,(very often) opens long before the filter is plugged with dirt. The down side when the bypass opens is a lot of trapped dirt is no longer trapped. I think of Fram oil filters as self cleaning, if you get my drift...

Around the world you can buy Caterpillar filters for your heavy equipment and your auto needs and as of recent for many small engines. If Cat filters are not in your price range, do a little home work and find a filter with bypass valve that is acceptable to the environment the the engine is operated in. "Bypass valve should not open for no reason". Also consider the filter material as well as to the number of filtering pleats.

A good oil is no good without the right filter. As for the manufacture spec's, they are based on the laws of average. In the U.S. the average is based on a five hindered mile circle with Cincinnati Ohio at it's center. 60% of all cars driven in the U.S. are found in this circle. In short, the manufactures spec's do not work in Alaska or some place like Arizona.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #5

11/11/2008 12:28 AM

Years back, I was having problems blowing the transmission filters off of the filter housings. These were OEM Allison filters. I converted to Pall synthetic media filters, and never repeated the problem.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #2

05/30/2008 11:15 PM

yakobus:

You will find this very interesting...

05/30/2008 8:16 AM

One of the first things we have to address in order to properly "fix" your problem is: what is the application you are using this oil for, i.e. engine lubrication, electric motor, pump, machinery, gear box, etc. ?

This is extremely important! Increasing viscosity is seldom the solution for fixing a problem when it comes to lubrication. Determining film strength, water solubility and oxidation of a lubricant are most commonly characteristics which cause or fix ones' problems when dealing with oil or grease issues.

So...what are you using the oil for? What type of oil (ISO and/or SAE #'s) are you presently using? What is the goal you are trying to achieve by increasing the viscosity?

In reply to #6

05/30/2008 7:28 PM

(ISO and/or SAE #'S)

Review API ratings.

Many ISO oils can be replaced with a lower cost SAE oil but not vise versa.

Application-application-application.....

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

05/30/2008 8:54 AM

If I understand your original post, you desire to lower the viscosity for use in colder temperatures. If cold is the reason, why not use a warming device. I have used engine block heaters in south Florida for 20+ years in 92 series Detroit Diesel engines to lower the thermal shock loads when started and driven hard immediately. Raising the temp should allow you to use the correct oil without viscosity modifiers.

If you insist on modifying the oil. Go to Snake Oils Are Us. They can fabricate whatever your pocked will be able to pay for. Good luck.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

5star (2); bob c (2); bwire (2); danek (1); machine head (1); PWSlack (1); Stinky Pete (1); yakobus (1)

Previous in Forum: Looking for a Drill Bit to Drill Stainless Steel   Next in Forum: Fluid droplet size measurement

Advertisement