Previous in Forum: Windshield Wiper Systems   Next in Forum: Water-Burning Hybrid - hype or hope?
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Participant

Long-Term Elastic Powder Coating for Springs

06/13/2008 12:48 PM

Today quite all suspension springs are powder coated with electrostatic method, after a zinc phosphatation. After some years powder coating is sometimes loosing its elasticity and becomes brittle, thus unable to "follow" the steel deformation. Is there any study on this subject ? What kind of powder should give the best reliability regarding this problem ?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: coating powder
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 19

Re: Long-Term Elastic Powder Coating for Springs

06/14/2008 6:00 AM

I worked as a powder applicator for center pivot irrigation systems some thirty years ago. We used an Epoxy formulation from 3M. Coating failures were mostly the result of loss of adhesion to pipe that hadn't been sufficiently cleaned or dried.

Coated areas of your springs that show brittle failure with continued adhesion have probably experienced a loss of plasticizers. This is a coating defect. If the cracking results from a loss of adhesion, it is most likely a manufacturing defect.

I found one study that seems relevant, but only managed to read the abstract:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x308773641340302/

There is also some very interesting general information on the internet.

http://www.powdercoatingonline.com/html/powder_suppliers.html

You might benefit more from the recommendation of a suspension mechanic who has seen lots of powder coated springs than from charts and tables. Representatives from coating manufacturers can also be helpful; they know the deficiencies as well as the strengths of their products, and some of them are genuinely eager to help.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Long-Term Elastic Powder Coating for Springs

06/16/2008 1:54 AM

I had a experiance just like this when I was working for surface treatment chemical business. We could not found a solution with powder coating. Powder coating was not enough resistance to changing shape and aging. As far as the powders that we can supply in Turkey. What we do was, after a plating with zinc - nickel and its chromate passivation we prefer a wet industrial pain which has more flexbility and and resist to aging. We applies dip precess for painting. Composition of the pain we applied was, I think stiren base and mostly have an application for collabsable tupe Like propane tüpes. Tests result was wonderfull and pieces past from all tests.

Hope this would be helpfull

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Windshield Wiper Systems   Next in Forum: Water-Burning Hybrid - hype or hope?
You might be interested in: Powder Coating Equipment, Coating and Spray Booths

Advertisement