Previous in Forum: Star Trek - 40 years old tomorrow!   Next in Forum: My first Supercomputer
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 16

Study: Earthlike planets may be common

09/08/2006 11:36 AM

University of Colorado researcher Sean Raymond believes"Earthlike planets covered with deep oceans that could harbor life may be found in as many as a third of solar systems discovered outside of our own."

He and a team of researchers from Colorado, Penn State University and NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center Maryland came to this conclusion after running computer simulations about the formation of solar systems. Interesting stuff.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

Let me try...

09/09/2006 10:52 AM

"Earth Like Planets May Not Be Common"

See, I can make speculative statements too. Awesome, I hope the AP picks this up.

The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #1

Re:Let me try...

09/09/2006 10:53 AM

oops, I forgot to mention I ran some "computer simulations". Now you believe me, right?

Participant

In reply to #2

Re:Let me try...

09/11/2006 9:42 AM

What gets me is that we are pre-occupied with studying the possibility of other similar planets when we don't even fully understand how the Earth works. If in the 60's we had invested more into geological study instead of the space program we might be able to predict earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

Good Answers: 3

Study: Earthlike planets may be common

09/11/2006 2:42 AM

When the phrase Earth Like Planets is used, from what part of the earth's history is meant? The 'snowball earth' phase? The 'covered in volcanoes' and 'sulphur dioxide atmosphere' type? Or the relatively recent covered with water and breathable atmosphere – for us – type. I have to say, I'd really like to know!

In reply to #3

Re:Study: Earthlike planets may be common

09/12/2006 12:45 AM

"If there is such a possibility of Earthlike planets, then there must be intelligent life out there. So, why haven't they contacted us?" "Because they are intelligent."

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bayes (2); pcb-man (1); PlbMak (1); solincsteve (1)

Previous in Forum: Star Trek - 40 years old tomorrow!   Next in Forum: My first Supercomputer

Advertisement