Previous in Forum: Eurotherm 2408i   Next in Forum: thermocouple cable
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Power-User
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Sworn to preserve and protect Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - How tiny is it? APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Good idea. Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - Energy in Transition

Good Answers: 15

Coax Valve enlightenment

07/08/2008 5:20 PM

Searching for a replacement valve for a simple application while re-designing the system. System uses piping connections to monitor system pressure. The instrumentation lines are frequently dumped and must be vented of all gas bubbles leaving only water in the instrument lines for startup. Control valves (remotely operated) are used for this venting. Dependability, longevity, low maintenance are needed. I have found a very simple solution in coaxial valves such as this:

Due to its simplicity (one moving part) it is said to be extremely reliable and requiring no maintenance other than external inspections. It can be set up to be pneumatically operated by an electrically operated pilot valve and can be set up with a proximity switch to indicate position. Our past solution has been an electrically operated (90 degree) rotary positioner on a ball valve.

What has been your experience with coax valves? Are they reliable? Any problems with air leaks? Who manufactures them? I am anxious for first hand information. (Should this be posted in a different section?)

Thanks.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Re: Coax Valve enlightenment

07/10/2008 7:58 AM

I have used 100's of coaxial valves in the past for machine coolant both high and low pressure. The coolant typically is filtered to about 25 micron for high pressure and 50 micron for low pressure. Most of the time the filtration is a lot worse in the automotive industry. I have had very few issues with these valves. The biggest issue I have experienced is water hammer with the solenoid controlled valves. We were seeing a spike in excess of 1500 psi from a 40 psi system when the valves shifted. I would suggest using the air piloted version. There are two companies making these coax valves. One company is Co-ax Valves Inc. supplied in Michigan by RHM Fluid Power Inc. the other is Hydac supplied (in Michigan and other locations) by Morrell Inc. I hope this helps!

Register to Reply
Associate

Re: Coax Valve enlightenment

08/14/2008 10:24 PM

Ive used these valve's for the last eight years. As a pressure relief valve's, on large ball valves, in natural gas service. To prevent the ball valves from locking up due to thermal expansion. They can be used in liquid media as well.

In the summer time, when temperature goes up. The floating seat's, can act as a break. Locking-up the ball valve, in the open and closed position's.

The only leak that I ever encountered, was one that was set to low. I removed the factory seal and used a Allen wrench to reset it to a higher pressure.

The one I used was manufactured in Italy.

You can get them from Circor Energy Prod. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Eurotherm 2408i   Next in Forum: thermocouple cable
You might be interested in: Control Valves, Gas Valves, Industrial Valves

Advertisement