Previous in Forum: BLAST FURNACE RAFT ( RACEWAY ADIABATIC FLAME TEMPERATURE)   Next in Forum: Designing a Natural Gas Pipeline
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Commentator
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Poly vs Mylar

08/18/2008 1:36 PM

We use a poly laminiating material, that is Mylar on one side and poly on the other the side. this is supposed to be laminated together using the poly material. The mylar is supposed to be the outer skin, and it is supposed to be wound on the outside of the roll. However our vendor has mistakenly sent us the rolls wound backwards sometimes. My question is, does anyone know of a simple / quick test to see which side is mylar and which side is poly that could be done before we thread the entire machine the way it should be.

Thanks you

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 49

Re: Poly vs Mylar

08/18/2008 7:49 PM

I believe the Mylar side is metallic, and somewhat conductive. A simple "continuity" meter should tell you which side is which - Touch the two probes to the same side of the material. If it beeps, it's conducting a current on the Mylar. No beep, and it's the Poly side, because Poly doesn't conduct.

Good luck,

vermin-

Good Answers: 33

08/18/2008 11:46 PM

Always best to go to the source...

DuPont Teijin Films manufactures Mylar® brand  http://www.dupontteijinfilms.com/

What is Mylar®?  http://www.grafixplastics.com/mylar_what.asp

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #2

08/19/2008 10:36 AM

Going to the well to find the water - what a concept! Gave ya a GA vote for it...

Commentator

Good Answers: 3

08/19/2008 12:01 PM

The easiest method would be to try heat sealing the materials. Fold the Mylar on itself and apply heat. Nothing should happen. Fold the poly on itself and it should activate and seal at around 300°F. Even if you do not have a heat sealer, you can use a common household iron at a medium high setting. Good Luck!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Commentator
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

In reply to #4

08/19/2008 2:31 PM

That does seem like the easiest test so far and it did work when I tryed it here. The rolls I am working with now are wound right.

RW

03/01/2011 4:04 PM

It was a pleaure to get all your help, Thanks

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bart@ (1); EnviroMan (1); pantaz (1); rwindbigler (2); vermin (1)

Previous in Forum: BLAST FURNACE RAFT ( RACEWAY ADIABATIC FLAME TEMPERATURE)   Next in Forum: Designing a Natural Gas Pipeline
You might be interested in: Over-the-Side Heaters, Punches, Conveyor Belts

Advertisement