Previous in Forum: Heat rejection calculation of oil cooled generator   Next in Forum: knocking water pipes
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Guru

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Transcendia
Posts: 2963
Good Answers: 93

What yard Mushrooms can we Eat?

09/16/2008 6:41 PM

I live in Carrboro NC, and my rented yard is mostly moss more than grass with two large pin oaks. We have had great drought, but it has now rained a good deal. Some mushrooms have grown in the yard, and I was wondering if I could eat them? They are a light brown, or white. The largest is 3.5 inches. I thought the rule of thumb was that if the birds and the squirrels eat the berries or whatever, you can eat it. I don't see nibbles on the yard mushrooms, so I hesitate to nibble myself. If you know something about how to tell a good mushroom, from a bad mushroom, I'm interested in your general, or specific insights.

__________________
You don't get wise because you got old, you get old because you were wise.
Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: mushrooms
This discussion was "closed" on 09/16/2008 9:41 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
Asking this question on an engineering forum is like playing Russian Roulette.
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale Florida
Posts: 5708
Good Answers: 123
#1

Re: What yard Mushrooms can we Eat?

09/16/2008 7:38 PM

Don't you remember that bully in school? Send them to him.

__________________
Bob
Register to Reply
Friend of CR4

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1995
Good Answers: 35
#2

Re: What yard Mushrooms can we Eat?

09/16/2008 9:47 PM

Hi Transcendian,

I'm quite well versed in wild edibles. I've taught classes on the subject and am writing a book as well. That said, I WOULD NEVER, suggest to anyone that they should eat an unknown mushroom. There are too many unknown variables in what you've put forward for anyone to make an educated suggestion.

I would suggest you contact a local botany professor or horticulturist and show him/her what you've found. This is not a question for an engineering forum. I can't in good conscience leave this thread open.

As to squirrels or other wildlife eating a mushroom, meaning its safe to eat - no way. You don't know what happened to that squirrel after he took the bite. He may have wandered off and died.

__________________
Off to take on other challenges. Good luck everybody! See you around the Interwebs.
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
This discussion was "closed" on 09/16/2008 9:41 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
Asking this question on an engineering forum is like playing Russian Roulette.

Previous in Forum: Heat rejection calculation of oil cooled generator   Next in Forum: knocking water pipes
You might be interested in: PIN Diodes, IC Pin Probes, Plug and Pin Gages

Advertisement