Previous in Forum: email provider website   Next in Forum: Please recommend simple, scalable software for web design
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Do Computer Registry Cleaners Really Work?

09/25/2008 10:14 AM

Computer Registry cleaners do they work? Reading the advertising for www.FixingTool.com claming to fix my computer. I asked what the cost is, with no replies. I tried Microsoft tech support if they made or recommended a fix nothing there. The second part of my question is. What are the basic operating system programs for windows XP. What is needs to be running and what does not. I am aware that there is a lot to computer programs and programming and they are not simple.

Looking on the system tray and the Task Manager there are a lot of acronyms . Where would a person look to find out what they are.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Computer Registry
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 30

Re: Computer Registry cleaners do they work?

09/25/2008 10:42 AM

Everett,

A simple Google search on the running program or process will usually give you some idea of what the program/process is. I do this on my computer very often to be sure there is not some "bad" software running on my PC, and I can also decide if a program/process is really necessary, or just using up my computer resources that I could make better use of. Sometimes it's difficult to know what is or is not necessary, but often the Google search will have some links that tell you if a program or process is necessary.

I have used one registry cleaner, called regcure, I paid for it thinking it would be better than the "free" tools. I can say I have not seen an increase in my computers performance, but maybe that's because I keep my computer pretty cleaned up on my own, since I do have a bit of knowledge about how these things work.

Good luck. If you do see a program or process that you can't find any information on, post the name here, maybe someone on the forum can assist.

Tom

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73

Re: Do Computer Registry Cleaners Really Work?

09/25/2008 12:39 PM

You can find acronyms here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

09/26/2008 1:00 AM

There are a number of open source registry cleaners out there, some packaged with other applications. I have used some, compared some of the free ones to some of the proprietary ones. I like ccleaner, which includes other features besides a registry cleaner, and Glary utilities. What is interesting is that each cleaner seems to give different results. Which is best? I don't think even Bill Gates can answer that one...

I also run a process checking program on occassion- I don't remember the name of it, and I am working in Linux tonight, so I can't look it up, but it lists all processes running on the system (interestingly, Explorer seems to be the biggest hog of resources, spawning the largest number of children...). This program gives some pretty good information about what is going on at any given moment. Next time I reboot, I will boot up into Windows and post the name of that program...Linux offers a similar function, ps, with some options, that will give you all the running processes, but not nearly with as much detail...

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

09/26/2008 9:13 AM

CCleaner is a freebie that does a good job and RegClean is an old MS program which is no longer supported which does a good job. Both can be found at MajorGeeks.com

Register to Reply
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

09/26/2008 9:18 AM

Here are the links for the programs I mentioned earlier. If I remember correctly, they are all available in free download versions...

Process Esplorer by Sysinternals, www.sysinternalss.com
ccleaner.com
glaryutilities.com

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8

09/26/2008 5:35 PM

yes and sometimes they clean too well and you then have programs or hardware that no longer function.

So if you use one be sure that you have an updated hard drive image to regain function. Ghost does a good job giving you an image backup.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1

09/28/2008 12:03 PM

Dear CR-4 friends

My question brought some surprising answers and some that were not. What I did find was a MSN link that tell you want is running and by whom. While my computer knowledge is lacking to fix major problems. I now know what is running and can ask those how do know.

This Microsoft TechNet is a good place to look at what's running on your computerThe Sysinternals web site www.sysinternalss.com http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

I want to thank tdesmit of Wichita for the leads on where to look for what running. Thanks Tom. Thanks cwarner7 11 for the warning that they my do to good of a job and jmart23 where to look on MSN and the guest with Ccleaner, RegClean at MajorGeeks. brick top sent this link to a free dictionary. You can fine want your looking for with a good search for terms. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

thank you for the help

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Bricktop (1); cwarner7_11 (2); everett w. (1); jmart23 (1); tdesmit (1)

Previous in Forum: email provider website   Next in Forum: Please recommend simple, scalable software for web design

Advertisement