Previous in Forum: Do Computer Registry Cleaners Really Work?   Next in Forum: ghatt chart
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Power-User

Please recommend simple, scalable software for web design

09/25/2008 7:46 PM

Hi everyone.

I currently have Dreamweaver, along with many other Adobe applications, and I'm looking for a simple, scalable application that will lend itself to business web design. You are probably wondering why I don't just use Dreamweaver.

This site will be a fluid place where multiple things will happen on a daily basis, with input from various people. We will not be hosting moving text, video or music. As my friend Daniel says, if he wants to watch movies he'll go to U-tube. The site I'm building is for a local computer repair/networking solution company here in the Albany, NY area. We need scalability to include component sales and invoices, data storage, and hopefully a link to Quickbooks type accounting.

The website is for people looking for computer repair and accessories in our area, and will need to be fairly simple to service, i.e, we have a few new computers to sell, let's get whoever's in the office today to upload the product descriptions, that sort of thing.

Please let me know if you have an application you would suggest. Dreamweaver is great if you write code and want to use java script, however, my goal here is to avoid writing code yet create something with simplicity, elegance, and scalability.

I value your input which is why I'm posting on CR-4 with my question.

Please feel free to drop me a line via email. I would say drop me a PM but unfortunately I have 4484 private messages (sorry to my friend out there!!!) and am simply not able to get to them.

Thank you, Om Shanti

Jules

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: web design software
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member China - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 14

Re: Please recommend simple, scalable software for web design

09/25/2008 11:50 PM

but dreamweave is also a WYSWYG。you neednt encode. just wirte what you want. just like typwirte.

you can use serveral templetes for your page outlay.

if you hope to set up a bbs, like this cr4 for our clients, you can find many software to set up your own bbs, php, asp all can be done. neednt code.

frontpage is also easy use web design software etc..

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 8

09/26/2008 7:46 AM

Hmm.. I think you're needing rather CMS(content managment system) than simply web design software. There are scored free CMSs, but as any free product it needs a code writting time to time(not too often).

Study and try out then one of these CMS engines phpnuke, modx, jooma. I've applied in my projects phpnuke and modx. Jooma is very popular now. There are a fiendly community and a lot of good made applets and scripts ready to use.

You didn't inform us what kind of web(http) server is prefered.

Hope it helps.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #2

09/26/2008 11:29 AM

Thank you that's a good point.

I'm hoping that with scalability we can use multiple software applications, including Quickbooks. For now, I need design software for the website that is user friendly. I'm not a fan of Frontpage at all.

Thank you!

Jules

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #3

09/26/2008 12:58 PM

PHPNuke is very easy CMS for non experienced users after its complete installation. Though an installation itself is not a trivial task maybe.

Take a look here. It's a very "light" CMS. You could ask someone at CMS community to help you with initial installation. You could study this issue reading a particular forums as well.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 55

09/27/2008 1:21 AM

If what you want is WYSWYG, then I encourage you to find a copy of Netscape Gold. It can be found at websites for free now.

I built my very first web site using my favorite word processor, Word Perfect, for text editing and my favorite graphics program, Paint Shop Pro for editing photos and renderings. I combined them using the Netscape HTML generator and then uploaded them, to the host using Cute FTP.

So pleased was I with the professional appearance of my site, that I took a class in web site development at the local college. When the instructor and other participants saw my site, the most common question asked was: "If you can do this, what are you doing in this class?"

I hate programming. I hate languages for generating code. The results I produced, with no formal education and with virtually no help, convinced me that you need not suffer through convoluted learning curves to get what you want.

L.J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

09/28/2008 10:04 AM

I would love to see your site, please send a link. Sounds right up my alley. Thank you.

Jules

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23

09/27/2008 3:26 AM

Your putting your customer at risk if you include access to his accounting software on the web site. Hackers will jump on that and get their bank account numbers.

Good Answers: 55

09/27/2008 8:03 AM

When I built the aforementioned web site, there was no PayPal. I chose not to accept credit cards and thus there was no need for a two-way, interactive environment. My site had and still has simple animated files.

Given the limitations of dial up modems back then, the resolution of those files had to restricted some because it took so long for them to be downloaded and played. However, with the advent of high speed Internet like DSL and T1 lines, visitors to the site are no longer constricted by the delays once associated with dial-ups.

Until recently, the only thing remotely interactive about my site was clicking on an icon so as to change to a different area.

However, the moment you leave the domain of simple information displays and introduce decision making and interactive programs, it won't be enough to simply generate an HTML file.

That is when someone skilled in web site development and the subtleties of HTML programming language is vital to the success of the site.

Simple as it was, providing Pay Pal links frustrated me a great deal, even with PayPal's help. My ego cost me orders. As soon as I surrendered my attachment to "I did it all of myself", the links were in place and I saw an immediate jump in sales.

Until I acknowledged my limitations and sought help, I stayed stuck. If you are like so many of us, then there disciplines and activities where you are really good. Unless you intend to become a web-site designer as a career, the investment of time mastering that domain, will be at the expense of other activities that are also probably more fun.

Choose wisely!

Good luck

L.J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

09/27/2008 8:56 AM

Agreed,

it's not enough to generate simple HTML code to make site flexible, safe and attractive. As a simple HTML code is just static one. There is need to make web-content dynamically changable,i.e. HTML page is generated by means of script language(php,java or both of them), data is downloaded from data base (MySQL, MSSql, oracle, etc). Site design might be changed with ease and good made web project works very fast even under dial-up.

Mentioned at my first post CMS engines give users(web developers) all advantages for dynamically generated content. They look as professionally made from front-end and could be managed even a kid from its back-end. If you need features like Forum, on-line word processor and even Pay-Pal gate, you can download scripts, install them and apply for your enjoy and profit. It's first step [where I'm getting stuck too] when others could go further by developing its own script's codes and creating their own site's engines.

Even for simple web pages it's very desirable to swith from HTML to CSS.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 112

09/29/2008 9:29 AM

Another possibility: Mambo

Thanks not a hard and fast recommendation. I just happen to have played with it and like it more than some others, and it's free.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, forget the link to quickbooks. That's just asking for trouble.

Hooker <-- also a Dreamweaver user (pre-Adobe versions, anyway )

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #10

09/04/2010 1:48 AM

HI,

Thanks for giving your valuable suggestions.

[url=http://www.prodigyapex.com]Web Development Services[/url]

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #12

08/01/2014 5:48 AM

Web Designing is the tool which helps the designer to put their creative ideas.

Register to Reply
Associate

07/15/2009 4:58 AM

Hello Sir

We are ERP Software developers . We can give you your solutions.

For further details mail me : sasikala@pactsoft.com

sasikala

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

angelina (1); caramba (3); cnpower (1); dadw5boys (1); Hooker (1); janetkissho (1); Laughing Jaguar (2); photonicgirl (2); saraswathi (1)

Previous in Forum: Do Computer Registry Cleaners Really Work?   Next in Forum: ghatt chart

Advertisement