Previous in Forum: Current carrying capacity of a cable   Next in Forum: advantage & Dicadvtange of Leading Power factor
Close
Close
Close
16 comments

resistance colour code

11/23/2008 1:34 AM

if any body have colour code of resistances . please mail me and explain how to calcutate the resistance.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

Re: resistance colour code

11/23/2008 5:55 AM

Bawa333us

This is a some kind of homework question.

Have u ever heard about Google search.

Try it it will give you all the info you require.

United States - Member - Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 50

11/23/2008 11:06 PM

For this type of question, please go find your basic introduction to electrical engineering text. It is in there. Very basic question that any student in EE, much less an engineer should be able to answer.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member but not a new fisherman Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Location: Formerly from NJ USA Planet Earth. Relocated to Space Coast FL
Good Answers: 9

11/23/2008 11:10 PM

Radio Shack and other electronics stores usually sell a little "slide rule" type device that has the color codes and tolerances on it. I have found it useful. I have often wondered why don't they just print the value on the resistor. The next question would be how many of us actually used a slide rule and/or remember them? Ed

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #3

11/24/2008 4:42 AM

....how many of us actually used a slide rule and/or remember them? Ed

Aha! The good old "guessing stick"............marvel of marvels..........I wonder if I could remember how to use it?????

I still have the first scientific calculator I ever had (it still works as well).......I saw it somewhere the other day when I was looking for my abacus to carry out a calculation.

In reply to #3

11/24/2008 7:12 PM

I still have my 28-scale K&E in my desk drawer at work. I even use it now and then.

Register to Reply
Commentator
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member but not a new fisherman Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Location: Formerly from NJ USA Planet Earth. Relocated to Space Coast FL
Good Answers: 9
In reply to #12

12/03/2008 1:41 PM

I have a couple of old K&E's on display in a cabinet in my living room. One is a 12 incher (I'll have to check the scale as memory fails me) that my dad used in the 1940's.... maybe I should "bust them out" and see if I still remember how to use them. The others are 6 inchers that I used in high school in the mid to late 1960's. BTW K&E had a plant/office in Morristown NJ 20 or so miles from my home - I used to pass by there when I was commuting to college - many moons ago............... ahh memories. Ed

11/23/2008 11:20 PM

we learned it as bad boys race our young girls but violet generally wins

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

11/24/2008 7:53 AM

We learned

Bad Boys Rape Our Youg Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

and

Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #9

11/24/2008 3:03 PM

OK, the first one is the one I was taught in Navy BEEP school; but can only recall part of another which no one seems to have ever heard. Goes like this: Batman blows Robin on yon Gotham bridge. I forget what comes next, but remember Silver No Color is Superman's Next. Any help from the decadent would be greatly appreciated.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #11

11/25/2008 6:24 AM

I just realized that everyone in their color code jingle has left off the tolerance band as in: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly Get Some Now, with GSN being Gold, Silver, and No colour. Newer color codes have a fourth band for a tighter tolerance; and I have a copy (somewhere) I was going to post if I could find the durn thing.

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #4

11/24/2008 10:43 AM

Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #4

11/24/2008 9:13 PM

Google is your friend!

we learned it as ; zij brachten rozen op gerards graf bij viez grauw weer (it's Dutch)

Good Answers: 15

11/23/2008 11:31 PM

Black'n Brown Ribbon Origami by Young Girls make Blue Violets Grow Wild

A more Politically correct for these times (and less chance of catching the short ticket out of here)

Anonymous Poster

11/24/2008 12:18 AM

hello Sir,

Please find below the resistance colour code . Hope this will serve your purpose

RESISTOR COLOUR CODING
Not all resistors use color coding. Sometimes, the exact value my be printed on the resistor. This is typical of so-called precision resistors: The actual resistance of the component is very close to or exactly what you see printed on them.
The vast majority of resistors use color coding to tell you what resistance, in ohms, they provide.
The color code is a world-wide standard, and we've been using it in electronics for many decades.
Although the colors are standardized, a resistor can have either four or five bands of color,depending on whether it's standard-precision or high-precision.

Standard-precision resistors use four color bands. These resistors come within at least 2 percent of their marked value. That is, the markings on the resistor and the actual value of the resistor when you test it fall within at least 2 percent of one another. You use standard-precision resistors for99 percent of your hobby projects.

High-precision resistors have five color bands, and they come within 1 percent or less of their marked value.
Here's what the bands on a standard-precision resistor represent:
- Bands one, two, and three indicate the value of the resistor.
- Band four indicates the tolerance of the resistor and typically falls within +5 percent or +10 percent of the resistor's actual tolerance (a range of resistance value; read more about this in the following section).

The Below Table shows the meaning of the color codes used on the bands so that you can determine the value of the resistor.

Assume that the resistor has yellow-violet-red-silver markings.
The first two bands indicate the first two digits of the value of the resistor.
Referring to below Table, yellow represents 4 and violet stands for 7, so the significant digits of a resistor with a yellow violet- red-silver band scheme are 47.
The third band indicates the multiplier, in this example that band is red, so the value is 100. Multiply 47 by 100, and you get 4700 ohms.

You express values over 1000 in K (for kilo, or 1000), so you say that the resistor has a value of 4.7K ohm. Note that in this table certain colors will never be used for certain bands, hence no value is noted.

Table - Resistor Color Coding
Color 1st Digit 2nd Digit Multiplier Tolerance
Black 0 0 1 +20%
Brown 1 1 10 +1%
Red 2 2 100 +2%
Orange 3 3 1,000 +3%
Yellow 4 4 10,000 +4%
Green 5 5 100,000 n/a
Blue 6 6 1,000,000 n/a
Violet 7 7 10,000,000 n/a
Gray 8 8 100,000,000 n/a
White 9 9 n/a n/a
Gold 0.1 +5%
Silver 0.01 +10%

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #6

11/24/2008 12:51 AM

4-band resistors generally have a gold band which is 5% tol, the 5-band ones with 1-2%

02/23/2009 12:55 PM

answer for your question is to go this site and find resistor's value as u with.

http://calculatemyresistor.com/

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (5); Current Maarey (1); ed fuzzyE kedz (2); Epke (1); Kyoto (2); MOBI (1); Snaketails (2); standarded (1); stevem (1)

Previous in Forum: Current carrying capacity of a cable   Next in Forum: advantage & Dicadvtange of Leading Power factor
You might be interested in: Bar Code Scanners, Bar Code Cards, Bar Code Software

Advertisement