Previous in Forum: Marine Loading Arm   Next in Forum: Tolerance Stack-up Analysis Techniques
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 16

The Lexus LS460: It Really Does Park Itself

10/17/2006 10:16 AM

I saw a commercial for the new Lexus last night which said it parallel parks itself.

I was curious about it so I looked it up and low and behold I guess it really does park itself using a sonar sensor, rearview camera and touch screen.

Here's a full review of it and how it works.
The Lexus LS460: It Really Does Park Itself

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
United States - Member - Germany - Member - Spain - Member - Trabajo en Pamplona

Worst Idea ever!!

10/17/2006 11:42 AM

Very cool - but I absolutely hate it. The last thing we need is another technology which lowers the learning curve for drivers. I can't imagine waiting for someone setup this system in order to park their car. Same thing with MB cruise system very cool but again the last thing we need is more driver's not paying attention to the road. IMO if you hold a valid driver's license you should know how to parallel park - better education and enforcement is the answer not technology. Its a privilege not a right!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: The Lexus LS460: It Really Does Park Itself

10/18/2006 1:30 AM

Wrong! Some people have physical handicaps which make parallel parking exceedingly difficult. For instance I have only 1 working eye. That means no depth perception. Some people have restricted neck movement so they have trouble turning around far enough to parallel park... The list goes on and on. If I and the other people can be helped by technology, that is great. In fact it is the highest calling of technology, to help people. In short just because you are young, blessed with lightning fast reflexes, perfect vision and excellent health doesn't mean that everyone is. (Trust me on this one, the day will come when you are not either.)

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

10/18/2006 8:56 AM

Well, actually that doesnt' matter. The is not making equipment do things for us, but to help us. Rear view camera is great especially for people who can't turn their neck all the way or have large blind spots. Last thing we need is a car that can park itself, what happens when the system fails? Yes these are cool inventions but not something to be relied upon.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

10/18/2006 10:49 AM

Anything that keeps others from scraping the paint off of my bumpers is a blessing!!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

10/18/2006 9:51 PM

Great technology,

but have Lexus missed the target?

Parking, is one of these things that gets more difficult the less you actually have to do it. Lets face it, at least in America, how often does one parallel park? You go shopping, usually to a mall where there is a parking space big enough to get your average monster truck in without reversing or taking a couple of bites at the space.

If you had a Lexus, do you think you may need to park on the street very often?

What you need is one of these gadgets on your Ford Focus! Ford Focus people like me, may need to park in a tight spot once in a while. Thinking about it, I cant remember the last time I had to drive a car backwards!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); john.optimum (1); stilljester (1)

Previous in Forum: Marine Loading Arm   Next in Forum: Tolerance Stack-up Analysis Techniques

Advertisement