Previous in Forum: Water Supply Pipe in Utility Trenches   Next in Forum: Waste water treatment
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Anonymous Poster

Please help an engineering-student.

11/27/2008 4:03 PM

Hello

I have added a link to a picture with a problem here. Let me just first say that I do not need help with the calculations and this is not a homework problem.

I have done the calculations and gotten the right answers, but the problem is that I really don't understand what is happening.

It is question c that is the problem:

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=utennavnxf7.jpg

The way I obtained the right answer was to put the force in the rod at B=0 and the force at A=P (moment-equlibrium). The I said that the displacement at A caused by the stress in the rod and the temperature increase was twice the displacement at B because of the temperature increase(remember, no force here since it is slacking). And the displacement at A is twice as much as at B because the triangle is rigid.

But why does this actually work? I mean, how do I understand that at some point when the temperature rises to a certain point, the force in rod B will be 0? Could someone please help me understand this.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: Please help an engineering-student.

11/27/2008 4:55 PM

Because the triangle arm A-C is rigid, both rods will grow the same length - but the arc length of the path of the triangle is different, at some point the rod B will be longer than the distance travelled by point B.

I'm not sure I have clearly explained it - ; I can easily picture the answer in my mind I am just finding a hard time putting it to words - it would be a lot easier if I could sketch it in person to show you.

Just think about the arc lengths of point B and A.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 73

11/27/2008 6:33 PM

If you have done parts (a) and (b), you should have no difficulty understanding what is happening in part (c).

(a) From equilibrium, TA(2b) + TB(b) = P(2b)

Also, TB = TA/2 because the strain at B is only half of that at A.

Solving the above two equations, we get TA = 0.8P and TB = 0.4P

If P is 500#, then TA = 400# and TB = 200# which is the answer to part (a)

(b) I leave it to you.

(c) When wire B goes slack, wire A carries all of the force necessary to restore equilibrium, so at some temperature X, TA = P and TB = 0.

ΔA = 500*L/120000 + X*L*12.5E-6

ΔB = X*L*12.5E-6 = ΔA/2

Solving, X = 333oF, or a further increase of 153oF from 180oF.

Good Answers: 81

11/27/2008 11:35 PM

Point A moves farther for a given weight at point D than does Point B, because A is farther from the pivot point. If the two wires undergo equal elongation due to temperature rise, then at some point the wire at B will be longer than the distance between B and the tether point for the wire for point B. At this point, the entire weight hanging off point D will be carried by the tether to point A, and the tether to point B will have no stress on it whatsoever.

So if this were a real problem, and you had to take into account temperature effects, you would have to look at different wire materials so that the thermal coefficients of expansion were in such a ratio that both tethers continued to do their jobs, or you would have to oversize the tether at point A so that it could do the job by itself. Or maybe not all by itself, but with diminished support at point B.

This is almost like designing a bimetallic strip to perform a particular function at a particular electrical current or temperature.

Power-User

Location: Globaly - very close to the southern most point of Canada
Good Answers: 12

11/28/2008 10:29 AM

If you want to calculate it to understand it, give the opposite ends of the wires a point. Say the opposite end of A is E and the opposite end of B is F.

Trig triangles C-B-F and C-A-E and compare angle C in each case. (assuming the wire is straight in each case)

You should note one angle in a triangle is less. When that angle applied to the other triangle, the wire is too long and therefore in practice will sag or bow.

Good Answers: 73

11/28/2008 12:25 PM

Point B is constrained to move exactly one half of the distance that Point A moves, no matter what the temperature is because the triangle rotates about Point C as a rigid body.

When there is no temperature effect, the force in Wire B will be only half of the force in Wire A because stress is proportional to strain (Hooke's Law).

When the temperature starts to rise, both wires elongate equally. As this occurs, the tension in Wire B decreases and the tension in Wire A increases. If the temperature is elevated to the point where thermal expansion of Wire A is equal to its tensile strain, then Point A deflects twice as much as the thermal expansion of Wire B, so Wire B requires no force to hold it where it is constrained to be.

If the temperature is elevated further, Wire A expands and Wire B sags.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); ba/ael (2); emc_c (1); gdevine (1)

Previous in Forum: Water Supply Pipe in Utility Trenches   Next in Forum: Waste water treatment

Advertisement