Previous in Forum: Calculating Resistance Values   Next in Forum: Powder Coating Charging Device
Close
Close
Close
9 comments

Load Banks and Catalogs for Generators

01/09/2009 7:12 AM

Dear All,

i am asking about how to design and construct a load bank for generator testing up to 1MW with simple and not costy way?

is there any reference for that ,design book or magazine or standard?

Also, how can i get the catalogues for caterpillar generators containing the maintenance and the wiring diagrams sheets ,that only maintenance technicians use - not the end users use?

thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Re: Load Banks and Catalogs for Generators

01/09/2009 11:48 PM

Please see list of works that you may construct for a simple load test tank. Said load test tank i designed way back at 1981 and can load up to 16cylinder CAT/GM gen set and less costly compared to electronic load test bank.

1. Fabricate a steel rectangular container approx. size: > 3 X 6 meters

2. Install I-beam at the center of the container to allow installation of movable roller, said roller should be manually rolled back and fort and at Center of the container thru a rope located at safe distance

3. Install an insulated busbar which will be securely hang at the movable roller and said busbar can easily be lowered down at the center of the basin.

4. Install load test tank away from the building premises or at open area.

5. Add salt (1 to 2 bags max. as per my personal experinece) and mixed with water in the container.

6. For more info, please ask Caterpillar assistance for any old manual concerning load test tank detais or you can call me at my cell: +97150248 7606 - Nelson

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #1

01/10/2009 9:11 AM

Yea, I've done the same thing once not long ago with a Cummins KTA-50 powered set, the only thing I found is you cant load the unit very long before you have a tank of boiling salt water.

Definitely works well and very easy to build.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

01/10/2009 10:15 AM

anmeaamansour15: SIS systems will give you all information you require for load banking from 1mw to the largest you wish,also you can down load all information you need on all Cat genset.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/10/2009 10:33 AM

Depending upon the size of your application, your Caterpillar set most likely is equipped with a KATO alternator end. Check the data on the alternator itself if this is the wiring diagrams you are looking for.

More information is needed to help much further.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80

01/11/2009 2:24 PM

Just get the permission to connect it to the utility and sell them (or give them) the power. All you need is a 1MW feeder which you probably have if this is a standby generator.

Otherwise, the water tank method could be used with power resistors (bands of stainless steel) instead of the salt. Add running water to evacuate the heat. This can give continuous operation. Use a power switch to bring resistors in and out.

In reply to #5

01/11/2009 8:27 PM

Actually, I believe the salt is added to obtain good conductive properties from the water as pure H2o will not do the job.

With the tank method, you will regulate the load by raising or lowering the conductors into the tank of salt water.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #6

01/11/2009 9:03 PM

You don't seem to realize that under long test at high load, the water heats up. To maintain a reasonable temperature you need to evacuate some hot water and replace it with cold water. (Unless you have a cooling tower handy...)

If you use the salt water resistivity, you will need to constantly add salt as you add cold water to keep the load constant. This is pollution. This is why I normally use stainless steel resistors immersed in cooling water. The power dissipation comes mostly from the stainless steel bands and the water flow has little effect on the load.

In reply to #7

01/12/2009 9:51 AM

See reply #2 in regards to the water getting hot.

This method is crude at best and dangerous... Using heaters definitively the better choice if the parts are available.

The tank of salt water, block and tackle, probes, etc. is "old school" that you will not learn in any formal school.

It works for sure, but should not be attempted unless you are working with someone who has actually been there and done that type of thing.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

01/11/2009 10:31 PM

Mansour,

I would recommend to have banks of three phase heaters suitably designed instead of the salt water method.

Salt water emthod is too crude...and you may loose the control of load as the water boils away.

In heater based load you can increase the loads in steps of 10% till you reach 100% load, and give dwell time of 10 mins at loads upto 50% and then 30 mins above 50%.

cheers.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); chaterpilar (1); marcot (2); nelson1 (1); space clown (1); Tim in Mexico (3)

Previous in Forum: Calculating Resistance Values   Next in Forum: Powder Coating Charging Device

Advertisement