Previous in Forum: Design for kids   Next in Forum: OC gas
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

Expressing Positive Integers as the Sum of Squares

10/28/2006 7:05 PM

French mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange proved that every positive integer is either a square itself or the sum of two, three, or four squares. No more than four squares, x2 + y2 + z2 + t2, are ever needed to express any number, no matter how large.

Given Lagrange's result, number theorists asked whether there are other such expressions, called quadratic forms, that also represent all positive integers. In 1916, Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan uncovered 53 such expressions. He showed, for instance, that every number could be written as a square plus twice a square plus three times a square plus five times a square.

Now a Mathematician named Manjul Bhargava from Princeton has shown with a simplified calculation, that altogether there are 204 universal, matrix-defined quadratic forms. Mathematicians previously thought that the tally had been completed in 1948, when Margaret F. Willerding in her doctoral research at St. Louis University painstakingly worked out 178 universal matrix-defined quadratic forms. Bhargava's new enumeration, taking advantage of the shortcut provided by the 15 theorem, shows that Willerding missed 36 universal forms, listed one universal form twice, and included nine forms that are, in fact, not universal.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: math
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Expressing Positive Integers as the Sum of Squares

10/30/2006 1:10 AM

X^2+Y^2+Z^2+T^2 ?

But what about 1111 its need 5 number to be squared.

33^2 + 4^2 + 2^2 + 1^2 + 1^2 =1111

Can anybody explain where I mistaken?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

10/30/2006 3:18 AM

here is the solution for 1111 = sum if sq(31,10,7,1) but I would repeat hasan's question. Can anybody tell where we can apply this?

for any number or interval of numbers you can simply find the solution by an easy programme by GUI programming langugues.

Register to Reply

10/30/2006 1:14 AM

very interesting... but I was wondering where we could use this.. as in a practical use of it... or how is it superior to counting from 0 to "positive infinity"..? sorry if I have over looked something or if this is just too dumb to ask..

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Design for kids   Next in Forum: OC gas

Advertisement