Previous in Forum: Forum Problem   Next in Forum: Few questions about CR4
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Associate

DIY Grain Handler

01/21/2009 11:50 PM

Can anyone help with the simplest way to 'design and self-fabricate' a grain handler ( grain vac) at my personal workshop .Just transportation of paddy to a loft ,a room, at 15 ft height from the yard.No dusting /cleaning etc. is needed.It need to be cheapest with a flexible farm-HDPE pipe if ok, with an augur welded on to a stranded cable?What are the problems envisaged how to eliminate these and start to work with that home made but reliable handler.

I am asking this question to possibly rescue rural household agriculture instincts which is getting evaporated due to labour rackets and almost wiped out farm manpower . Engineers please, if possible help to impact this change

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

Re: Grain handling

01/22/2009 8:39 AM

A closed Archimedean screw can do the job of lifting the rice grains into your silo.

In reply to #1

Re: Grain handling

01/22/2009 10:59 PM

Thanks a lot DVader .I did have a look at the google options and seems promising..thanks once again

Re: DIY Grain Handler

01/23/2009 7:36 AM

An open archamedian screw is the easiest to make.

Spiral weld metal strip to rod, then weld side to strip.

Engine or other is normaly mounted to top end of rod., but can be pully belt motor driven at bottom of rod.

Cheers

Peter

Cheers

Peter

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

01/23/2009 9:06 AM

To accurately make a screw version seems fraught to me;
I would suggest a small "bucket" conveyor.
i.e. just a belt, or rope, with shaped slats or buckets,
e.g. tin cans or plastic containers! to contain the grain for the lift.
Perhaps covered for working in all weathers at a later stage?

Hope this helps.

jt.

Life's just ups and downs.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

01/23/2009 10:46 AM

You might want to use an "Air Conveyor". It uses vacuum from a compressed air source to move products. We currently are using them to move small glass beads that weigh 110 lbs cuft with no problems.

www.exair.com

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68

01/23/2009 3:28 PM

Hello Bala Pullat,

I have found many supplier/makers of Augers in Chennai India.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=augers+CHennai+India&spell=1

http://www.tradeindia.com/Seller-1968293-2425465-1172-FEATUREDPRODUCT/Processing-Machines-Equipment.html

If you have one already and want to build an enclosed Auger, which I think is the most efficient. The Auger should 'just' fit into the pipe you may want to use as the 'cover' You need to fit a central bearing at the bottom and top and use a motor directly on the end of the Auger.

If you are making your own. I have made one one and found cutting the actual Auger lift screw was easier to cut if I cut the sheet from something round. I used industrial bean cans. Mine was just a test but with some small aluminium angle to hold and strengthen it at regular places it worked fine. Mine was only6" or 8"/ 20 cm, and it was a 2 metres long. I used a 1.5" ~37mm wooden dowel and used a handle on mine but you could just as easily use a motor. I tested mine with plastic beads.

If you make your own as you mentioned, it may help if you fit a narrow ring on the 'bottom' half of the cover, at the bottom end, to help hold the grain in the tube. If you take care and fettle the Auger and test it in the tube you want to use so you start 'fitting it' by filing at the lower end and gradually file more and the whole thing should fit snugly, but not bind on the sides.

You can make a much easier version by using half round gully pipe with a short length of pipe to match which is glued or connected to the half round gully at each end. Makes the whole thing more stable and fit the bearings at each end as before.

I am not sure what bearing you could use in the food industry, but teflon/PTFE is worth thinking about.

Good luck and can we see the finished product please?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); babybear (1); Bala Pullat (1); DaS Energy (1); DVader1000 (1); jt (1)

Previous in Forum: Forum Problem   Next in Forum: Few questions about CR4

Advertisement