Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Few questions about CR4

01/22/2009 12:11 AM

Hi, I am a civil engineer in our country working in the field of engineering education. My purpose in joining this site is for me to learn the features and functionality of CR4. I am planning to build a site that accepts registration and hoping to build a community of engineering students from inside and outside my country. Here are my questions:

1. Is this site uses an open-source CMS, if so, what is it?

2. How many people are involved in building this site?

3. How long was the development time?

Thanks in advance. BTW, what is the meaning of CR4?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: CMS CR4 website
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 19

Re: Few questions about CR4

01/22/2009 12:23 AM

I am planning to build a site that accepts registration and hoping to build a community of engineering students from inside and outside my country.

why should i tell you because you can build a better site than my CR4. All my members and advertisers will be running off to your site then what will I do?

what is the meaning of CR4? i forgot. It can be Common Room 4 or Conference Room 4.

the rest 3 Rooms (CR1 + CR2 + CR3) washhed away in the last tsunami.

In reply to #1

01/22/2009 9:03 AM

I will exercise patience in waiting for someone to reply and ignore someone that sounds mocking a newbie with his first post in the community. My query is a totally honest, if you think I'm joking or sounds like funny, you're absolutely wrong. I mean my every words in this thread.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

01/22/2009 9:36 AM

Good i like you now. You will succeed and i'm sure. My son is starting a site soon as gymbudd.com and i'm aware of these.

In reply to #3

01/22/2009 9:41 AM

You make me laugh... such a nice welcome. huh...

Register to Reply
Guru

01/23/2009 10:20 AM

Why re-invent the wheel? There is an "Education" section to CR4. You might be able to use that area for your purpose. If that does not exactly match your need/desire, contact a CR4 site administrator and see if they would be willing to develop what you want.

In reply to #5

01/23/2009 1:11 PM

I am not reinventing the wheel, its impractical to do so. I am targeting different audience, audience from countries where technologies are not highly developed. It is much better if we from the same level of technology and purchasing capacity start to communicate. I do believe this make sense. I already established an audience and most of them are engineering students, very few are professional engineers. But these students will become professionals soon.

Contact CR4 developers? I am a developer myself, and my budget is too low for hiring developer from outside my territory, I simply cannot afford that. I look around CR4 and learned many things about this site. I will post here my link, if ever I made a success to this.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

01/23/2009 11:28 PM

I agree that the application of engineering must be adapted to the resources available, and in many applications low cost and simplicity will succeed over the hi-tech "solutions". There have been numerous posts on this site from third world countries that have looked for and received low tech advice to solve issues such as water treatment, energy efficiency, ventilation, pumping, to name a few that I can recall.

Not every one who posts on this site is a professional engineer, and I do not think professional certification is a limiting factor to learning, asking for, and receiving help. An intense curiousity, a willingness to learn and the ability to try to help others is the main criteria for benefiting from this site.

Although some of what is on CR4 is beyond my ability to understand, I have a few areas that I can help others, I have learned from observing other people questions and posts, and I have had a few of my own posts answered. I have had some fun and laughs in the process, and (hopefully) provided some laughs with my weak attempt of humor. This is a fun and educational site over a wide range of technical interests, and I think your group of students and audience could learn by browsing their areas of interest, asking questions, and occasional providing input to various posts.

Just don't ask for answers to homework assignments. A student needs to work those out on their own. Asking for alternative explainations of concepts or theories is fair territory, but people on this site get VERY irrate when they detect a homework question on the site.

In reply to #7

03/30/2009 5:18 AM

Thank you Ried for the reply. I can see that you're an intelligent man. I am going to become active to this site from now on, as I finished developing my website and I now have the time to participate in some discussion. My purpose here is to gain insights and to learn more so I can share it to my peers.

By the way, you can see my work at http://forums.mathalino.com

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

01/24/2009 2:21 AM

Here is a brief thread about the CR4 code:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/29511 (see the comment by one of the administrator's Chris Leonard)

They may also be reached at the following email in this thread:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/24611

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

01/24/2009 2:32 AM

and see this thread:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/5461

for an explanation on the meaning of 'CR4'

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); ducon (2); Ried (2); RTFVerterra (4)

Previous in Forum: DIY Grain Handler   Next in Forum: Blanketing System

Advertisement