Previous in Forum: How Many Auxiliary Power Units (APUs)?   Next in Forum: Aluminum Radiator Fittings
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

1997 VW Golf - Diesel Injection Pump Timing

01/22/2009 5:18 PM

can anybody tell me how to time the bosch diesel injection pump on my 1997 vw golf in relation to tdc i cant see any marks and the pully has no woodruff key in it just a taper fit any suggestions would be a great help as the haines manuel shows a different pump to mine

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

Good Answers: 10

Re: diesel pump timing

01/22/2009 5:53 PM

Not sure how anyone else would do it but I would do this;

Remove injector on cylinder one

Set the piston to TDC on cylinder one with both valves closed. This should be the firing point.

Turn the injector pump, with the timing belt removed, to the point you get a squirt from injector one.

Now you have the firing point and the injection point, all you need to do is consult the manual to find out how many degrees apart these operations occur and adjust for.

Good luck

Commentator

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #1

01/22/2009 7:20 PM

http://www.tdiclub.com/ here's a link to a great group of people that will have the tools needed to set your timing. Did you replace the timing belt, waterpuplastic plugmp, idlers? This ptiming process requires some special tools. Not real expensive though. Did you take the nut off of the injector pump? Hope not and don't.

You need software to set the timing properly and it is real touchy. The TDI club has a list of people that will help you with this.

To set the initial timing remove the valve cover and the vacume pump. Remove the timing belt cover. Break the bolt on the cam loose but do not break the sprocket loose from the cam yet.. On the bellhousing right next to the head is a plastic plug. Under this plug is the timing mark. It's a bear to see. Rotate the engine by hand ,breaker bar in the center bolt on the lower engine pully. and line up the tdc mark. Insert the cam lock plate in the drivers end of the cam, where the vacume pump was. Break the cam sprocket loose from the tapered engd of the cam but don't remove. A pin is required to lock the pump sprocket. Rotate the pump with the bolt until the pin locks the pump. Check TDC. Do not rotate the engine at this point because you will trash it. Tighten the cam bolt. Remove the pin and cam lock and put the rocker cover back on. Hook the laptop computer up to the engine code plug under the dash. Start the engine and let it come up to operaitng temperature. Follow the software instructions to check the timing. It's really a pain to do this but the only time you need to is when you put a new belt on. By the way make sure you do this about every 60k miles.

Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #2

01/22/2009 7:57 PM

It would seem he has removed the pump pulley since he mentioned a tapered shaft lacking a key. Seems he is into a nest of it on this one, not impossible, just very interesting. The interesting ones are always the best.

In reply to #3

01/22/2009 9:30 PM

Ya it's a world of hurt only a Bosch tech can undo.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #2

01/22/2009 9:41 PM

A good answer my good man. My Chilton book runs through the same procedure, but quits after the rocker cover, then tells to rotate it twice stopping again on TDC. If the timing is still correct, and bolts tight, start it up. How essential is the software setting?

In reply to #5

01/23/2009 1:00 PM

If it starts good, runs good and starts in cold weather and your happy with it; don't worry about the software. If it's a dog, smokes, you need to set the timing. I use the Bently manuals. Here's a real good place to get parts, tools and manuals. They also offer tech advice. The people answering the phone actually know something. http://www.partsplaceinc.com/

In reply to #1

01/23/2009 3:09 PM

many thanksi will try that when i get diesel coming out of the pump it was dry when i loosened one off and the pump wasnt full filled it manually but still didnt pump now charging battery thanks for your suggestion makes sence

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

01/22/2009 9:43 PM

Welcome to the asylum. Stay in touch, and enjoy the ride.

Good Answers: 28

Re: 1997 VW Golf - Diesel Injection Pump Timing

01/24/2009 1:58 AM

Haven't the manuals noted in other posts here, but experience tells me that it'll be plunger lift in relation to a mark on the flywheel. Bosch: something like 1.9mm of lift @ the mark of 2deg BTDC. Dialguage and adapter in the the plunger plug aperture - we use a Yamaha motorcycle guage, adapted- and flywheel mark visible through a 'window', or maybe a lockpin into the wheel. Then lock it all up.

If you're 'in the field', hope this may be of some help.

Cheers

Stu.

In reply to #9

01/24/2009 3:51 AM

thanks ill try that thanks again for your time all the best

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

01/24/2009 7:14 AM

01/25/2009 10:17 AM

My assumption is that this is a TDI and with the assumption that this is a fly by wire system. The timing procedure is somewhat different as I wrote. The old systems used a strictly mechanical means of setting the timing. The differences between the two Bosch pumps are that the pump is controlled by a servo instead of an accelerator cable. Cold start is taken care of by the computer instead of a choke-like cold start cable. The amount of fuel in relationship to manifold pressure is controlled by the computer instead of a diaphragm on top of the injector pump.

In reply to #12

02/27/2009 2:03 PM

can any one tell me how can I change the injection angle in a Bosch fuel pump?

also how can I measure the injection angle?

thanks

abdelwahhab17@gmail.com

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

andykgood (2); Anonymous Poster (1); bob c (2); Dances with Trees (2); ozzb (1); Randouli (4); Stueywright (1)

Previous in Forum: How Many Auxiliary Power Units (APUs)?   Next in Forum: Aluminum Radiator Fittings

Advertisement