Previous in Forum: Best Standard Airplane Engines?   Next in Forum: Galaxy May Be "Full of Earths", Alien Life
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 10

Robonaut- a myth comes to life

02/07/2009 11:42 AM

Robonaut is a humanoid robot designed by the Robot Systems Technology Branch at NASA's Johnson Space Center in a collaborative effort with DARPA. The Robonaut project seeks to develop and demonstrate a robotic system that can function as an EVA astronaut equivalent. Robonaut jumps generations ahead by eliminating the robotic scars (e.g., special robotic grapples and targets) and specialized robotic tools of traditional on-orbit robotics. However, it still keeps the human operator in the control loop through its telepresence control system. Robonaut is designed to be used for "EVA" tasks, i.e., those which were not specifically designed for robots.

(The entire article is here http://robonaut.jsc.nasa.gov with some great video here http://robonaut.jsc.nasa.gov/media/videos/videos.asp)

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Re: Robonaut- a myth comes to life

02/07/2009 11:47 AM

The History Channel is currently airing a program which discusses this incredible creation. The Robonaut is designed specifically with mythology and lore in mind. From the horse-man body to the Roman centurion helmet.

I can only imagine the stories that would be written if an "ancient" civilisation were to cross paths with this fascinating machine

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Sol solar system, Earth (not Giaha), USA, WA, N.E.
Good Answers: 13

02/07/2009 11:54 AM

That's great Charles,

Somebody (probably a team effort) had fun with designing that helmet. It looks vaguely reminiscent of something out of early movie/TV sci-fi.

02/07/2009 12:05 PM

The system can operate autonomously or by telepresence - a control system which utilizes virtual reality human interfacing from as far away as earth initially. But eventually from a manned craft perhaps in Martian orbit.

Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Location: In a mushroom field somewhere in Canada. Kept in the dark and fed sh--, well you know.

02/09/2009 10:27 AM

Boba-fet's long lost brother?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Shadetree (1); TexasCharley (2); unclefastguy (1)

Previous in Forum: Best Standard Airplane Engines?   Next in Forum: Galaxy May Be "Full of Earths", Alien Life
You might be interested in: Robot Repair Services, Robotic Tool Changers

Advertisement