Previous in Forum: Recovering a Deleted Folder in Microsoft Outlook   Next in Forum: Why is Laser Light Different?
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

Bonding Latex Rubber

02/20/2009 2:32 AM

I use latex rubber thread for making "shock cord" with braided polyester fibers on the outside. I was interested to know if some one could tell me how would be the best method of bonding this together preferably end to end. Is there a special glue?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

Re: Bonding Latex Rubber

02/20/2009 3:45 AM

Did you try google? with all the latex "clothing" these days there must be a latex glue that supports your needs

http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=en&q=strong+glue+for+latex&aq=f&oq=

Good Answers: 37

02/20/2009 8:10 AM

Hopefully this is not for bungee jumping. The weakest point would be where it is bonded and should never be less than one continuous cord. Normally for tie down or light use we would form a loop at the end and crimp or wrap the ends similar to whipping rope to keep it from fraying.

PLEASE tell me your not trying to lengthen it for jumping!!

Need more info.

In reply to #2

02/20/2009 10:33 AM

If you took time to read the question you will see I am refering to shock cord not bungee rope you may need to ask CR4 what shock cord is!!!

Good Answers: 37
In reply to #3

02/20/2009 10:53 AM

Bungee cord is nothing but shock cord on steroids. The first jumpers used multiple cords attached together. I use shock cord all the time for strapping things to my bike or keeping tarps on outdoor equipment. Rubber cement is used for clothing and other sheet material. We also use shock cord to hold back un-inflated seals on docks. So yes I know what shock cord is. But if you have been around here long enough, you would know how some people do some stupid things with a little knowledge.

Normally we cut our own lengths and attach the hooks to the end. Since you're making your own and have used them before, you probably know how hard and fast they can whip around and strike you. I would rather fasten them mechanically rather than rely on an adhesive. Vulcanizing would work well but that may compromise the exterior protective coating.

Just trying to help.

Good Answers: 7

02/21/2009 1:48 AM

First question is why?? isn't intertwining or plaiting enough?

You need something as elastic as the rubber (eg Rubber) try Latex (Also try white wood glue) or contact adhesive. ? Latex would need to dry in the connected state but with contact you would need to coat first allow to dry then combine - might be an idea to stretch before combining to increase surface area contact

In reply to #5

02/21/2009 3:12 AM

The latex rubber is purchased in 25kg boxes with both ends at the top of the box. this is passed up through the braiding machine in stretched form. After braiding it contracts. This is the finished product and is rewound onto reels. As the box nears the end I usually tie the rubber strands to the end of the next box. This is very time consuming.(40 strands) I was hopein some one could lead me to another solution.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #6

02/21/2009 3:47 AM

Try - Clamp the cluster, cut the ends so no tension and put on a hot melt and wrap with tape or string. Or ??? clamp off the clusters at two points release tension between them - then apply hot melt - wrap and then cut apart. Hot melts are used to glue on rubber soles in the shoe-making industry.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); charsley99 (2); cool (1); Epke (1); hazman (2)

Previous in Forum: Recovering a Deleted Folder in Microsoft Outlook   Next in Forum: Why is Laser Light Different?

Advertisement