Previous in Forum: "Chatter" - Patrick Radden Keefe   Next in Forum: Big Gas Price Jump Expected
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
The Architect
Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

Good Answers: 5

Modern Marvels: Nature's Engineers 2

03/02/2005 10:32 AM

This episode is a very nice combination of two things I like: the typical Modern Marvels style of getting excited by tunnel boring machines, and a nature show (which I can watch almost endlessly... just ask my wife).

So, just how do naked mole rats organize to dig their burrows?
A: By forming a mole rat conveyor belt, with one individual moving his dirt behind him while moving backwards, while the rest of the workers climb over him, until they reach the front! Very cool.

Lots of fun stuff.

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Naked Mole Rats

03/06/2005 2:09 AM

My favorite Heroine, Kim Possible, has a sidekick that is a naked mole rat named Rufus. www.fantasykat.com/ shows/Images/Rufusthumb.jpg Rufus, the Naked Mole Rat (VA Nancy Cartwright): This offbeat animal companion is very close to Ron, who looks after the little rodent constantly. Rufus often plays a pivotal role in the plot despite his diminutive size.

Login to Reply
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Naked Mole Rat Cam at the National Zoo

03/06/2005 2:40 AM

The National Zoo has been running a camera on their naked mole rats for at least five years. It's recently been upgraded to streaming video. Check it out here, about halfway down the page

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Previous in Forum: "Chatter" - Patrick Radden Keefe   Next in Forum: Big Gas Price Jump Expected
You might be interested in: Boring Machines, Boring Tools

Advertisement