Previous in Forum: synchronizer rings   Next in Forum: Boat Oar Designs
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Participant

2000 Chevy Cavalier - Electrical Problems

03/11/2009 5:38 PM

It will not make any electrical signs at all, we jumped it --nothing happened...

I pulled The keyout the day it died and the radio and dash lights stayed on but in a weird way. Then we disconnected everything and left it for a week... we tried to get it going to day and absolutly nothing...

Is it a short or burned out wires?>.. i checked all fuses nothing.

the starter used to make a little electrical crunching noise when it was first turned over but then it worked but that was back when it drove,, now nothing no lights no radio no nothing... =even when we jumped it

help me I am puff"girl with no power....:)

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Sol solar system, Earth (not Giaha), USA, WA, N.E.
Good Answers: 13

Re: baffled- my cavalier 2000 will not work- jumping did not wrk.

03/11/2009 10:02 PM

Diagnosing over the web is problematic but you need to start with the basics.

a) Battery - with the cables disconnected use a testlight across the terminals. Is the bulb lit? Yes? Move on. No? Charge battery and retest. Replace battery if necessary.

b) Once you have a verifiable good battery, reattach the ground cable and with the ignition off and all lights off and doors shut (so dome lights are not triggered), connect test light between the positive battery terminal and the positive cable end. If the bulb lights there may be a short. If the bulb does not light move to next step.

c) Reattach the positive cable, making sure to remove any corrosion from the terminal and cable end first. Now open the door and see if the dome lights work. Turn on the headlights as a second verification. If all is well so far try starting the car. If the lights work and the car starts there is a good chance you have narrowed your problem down to the battery. If nothing works yet the next thing to look for is one or more fusible links. These are short wires that act as fuses. They can usually be found at the starter or the fuse panel or near the relay bundle or box near the battery. At this point I suggest you get a good manual or seek the services of a reputable mechanic.

In reply to #1

03/11/2009 11:23 PM

Thank you very much Shadetree. I will have my boyfriend try these things tommorrow, I always fall in love with carpenters never a mechanic ....:) well hope we get her started,

signed puff girl with no power!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #2

03/12/2009 12:47 AM

I'll bet you have nice shelves!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Participant

In reply to #3

03/12/2009 1:19 AM

lol yes great shelves .. but lots of check engine lights...lol

In reply to #1

03/13/2009 12:18 AM

always go to the basics first!-->GM loves fusible links; look at the starter for a bad fusible link. Whatever you think: Don't never unless you will!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

Re: 2000 Chevy Cavalier - Electrical Problems

03/12/2009 9:25 PM

Hello dodgecavalier you mentioned check engine lights. Have you had them checked?

IF so what were the codes ? that might help .

I have ran into similar probs. with same vehicle and found no problem with fuses but under fuse box in hood area found multiple wires shorted due to one bad fix on the A/C system bye another mechanic.

If you have code numbers from the check engine light please post them it will help.

Register to Reply
Associate
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

03/13/2009 8:58 AM

Often there will be no visible signs of failure such as smoke or flames. A common problem is the battery terminals. They will appear to be OK, but if they're removed you'll find a corrosion layer insulating the battery post from the cable. Clean the posts and cable ends with a wire brush and some baking soda mixed in water to neutralize the corrosion. The car might start right up.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/13/2009 9:01 AM

Dude- they are selling brand new cars with 10-yr warranties for $8,900! It's time to consider a newer car...

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User

03/13/2009 9:16 AM

I would check the fuse able links they should be on the drivers side with a black cover. If these are working check the ignition switch.

The relays in this black put your finger on them you should feel them click when somebody is trying to start the car.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/13/2009 12:06 PM

try installing a new battery. the battery you have is probably dead, no good.

Power-User

Good Answers: 6

03/13/2009 6:56 PM

Items to check:

1. Main Accessory Fuse - Located in fuse panel uder hood. Should be labeled.
  2. Fuseable Link - Located on starter solenoid main (+) terminal-The Small wire (#12AWG). Check with VOM or apply small amount of pressure by pulling on link. If it is open, the wire (link) will stretch/give.
  3. WARNING! IF EITHER OR BOTH OF THESE ARE OPEN, YOU MUST IDENTIFY THE ROOT-CAUSE OF THE FAULT BEFORE RE-APPLYING POWER TO THE SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO SO CAN AND WILL CAUSE MAJOR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM COMPONENT DAMAGE. IF YOU ARE NOT COMPETENT IN TROUBLESHOOTING A DC SYSTEM , HIRE A COMPETENT TECHNICIAN.
  4. Easy Things to Look for on Your Own:
  • New stereo or other electrical equipment added that exceeds electrical circuit capacity. (too much current draw) VERY COMMON MISTAKE AS HIGH CURRENT AMPLIFIERS REQUIRE A SEPARATE, DEDICATED, PROPERLY FUSED ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY AND CANNOT BE ATTACHED TO ANYTHING IN THE FUSE PANEL. AUTOMOBILE FUSE PANEL CIRCUITS ARE NOT DESIGNED NOR CAPABLE OF CARRYING ADDITIONAL CURRENT LOADING. NEVER INCREASE THE SIZE OF AN EXISTING FUSE IN AN AUTOMOTIVE FUSE PANEL.
  • Chaffed Wiring. - Check entire car body electrical system)
  • Alternator Failure. - Direct short-to-ground failure of the windings and/or regulator. (also caused by excessive loading of electrical system)
  • Battery Cell Failure.
  • Failed Ignition Switch.
  • If So Equipped, The Anti-Theft System.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

03/13/2009 11:49 PM

Thanks guys for all the input. I totally wish I could buy a new car... but dave ramsey says that you should only buy a new car when you can pay the payments...lol.. I am a little older and a little poorer than i used to be.... plus i love my crappy old cavalier...:)

Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); ddphillips (1); dodgecavalier (3); innvader (1); lyn (1); rhandwor (1); Shadetree (1); SHOCKISCAN (1); Wirefab1 (1)

Previous in Forum: synchronizer rings   Next in Forum: Boat Oar Designs

Advertisement