Previous in Forum: Sizing a Parabolic Reflector   Next in Forum: Lawn Darts and Arrow Throwing
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Charging Laptop Batteries with Solar Cells

04/01/2009 3:03 AM

Hi Guys!

Will anyone help me with some questions I have about charging laptop batteries with solar cells?

I want to make a homemade solar charger as compact as possible. I want to know how many mono-crystalline solar cells (each cell is .5v, right?) it would take to charge a typical Lithium Ion laptop battery in 5hrs. How small could I make it?

I was told that I can cut cells (making the whole module smaller), wire them together and up their voltage. Can anyone help me to understand/provide a diagram of how to do that?

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer any assistance.

Many thanks in advance!

Julie

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: battery charge solar
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58

Re: Charging a battery with solar cells

04/01/2009 4:17 AM

Hi jadejulz,

another DIY fan. :D

look it up from here:

google for more!

HTH!

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

Re: Charging a battery with solar cells

04/01/2009 8:17 AM

page cant open. help me pleese.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Charging Laptop Batteries with Solar Cells

04/02/2009 1:13 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23

04/02/2009 7:29 AM

If you follow this link you will have a circuit. http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/solar-batt-chgr.htm

Do not try cutting the cells they are brittle , you can buy many different sizes, but do not use any that are larger than necessary or power will have to be dissipated as it is not good to overcharge lithium cells it can be dangerous .

google up some studies on Lithium cells and charging before making anything up.

Good Answers: 10

04/02/2009 9:13 AM

Here is the specs from a pre-made solar charger for laptops.

• 830mAH current output
  • DC 6V output voltage
  • Lithium polymer battery
  • 8 - 10 hours of charging time

12V averaged 4 - 5 hours charge time on most solar chargers.

04/02/2009 10:19 AM

go to harborfreight they sell for 39.00

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 10

04/02/2009 3:03 PM

If you want to do it yourself and make sure it works, check the output voltage and current on your wall plug converter. Simple math and circuit design after that.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

04/10/2009 10:32 PM

hello,

i am going to beg the question. you should not do this. it is the wrong approach. you should use standard solar panels. voltage does not matter. then buy a "Lind" Dc to Dc converter. i have done the math. i have also done the dollar math. "Lind" is the answer. just call them up. tell them what laptop you have. they will sell a converter. most are 12 volt, but other voltages are available. my girlfriend makes her living off of her laptop and cell phone. i was faced with adding two more solar panels to keep up with her power demands. by switching instead to a dc to dc converter, i did not have to add panels. cost difference, lets see two more panels would have been $1500. Lind converter $100. i think i chose the better way.

by the way the math is as follows. if you use solar panels and the standard power adapter, then what you need to compare is the difference between changing the 12 volt from your batteries or solar panels to 110 at 65 percent efficiency. then running it thru the power adapeter again at 65 percent efficiency. wound up i was using almost 200 watts per hour for a computer that was pulling 50 to 70 watts depending on weather it was charging or not. the lind is 95 percent efficient. that means i am pulling 55 to 77 watts per hour. my battery bank almost never runs out of power now.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agila (1); Anonymous Poster (2); artbyjoe (1); garth (1); langyaw (1); PhysicsProf (1); WWkayaker (1)

Previous in Forum: Sizing a Parabolic Reflector   Next in Forum: Lawn Darts and Arrow Throwing
You might be interested in: Photovoltaic Cells, Solar Water Heaters, Solar Mounts

Advertisement