Previous in Forum: Charging Laptop Batteries with Solar Cells   Next in Forum: obtaining measurements
Close
Close
Close
42 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 663

Lawn Darts and Arrow Throwing

04/01/2009 3:52 AM

The little known sport of Arrow Throwing was popular in the West Riding of Yorkshire way back in the late 19th/early 20th century.
Big money changed hands as betting was rife and the special hand made arrows were highly prized.
They were propelled with the aid of a piece of string twisted around the index finger and looped around the shaft, and could be thrown huge distances...well over 300yards (372 yards has been recorded)
Arrows were carefully made of Hazel wands, carefully pared down untill little but the pith remained covered by a very thin layer of wood (hence the expression 'taking the pith' later corrupted to taking the piss)
The arrows were balanced by pushing pins into the pith at the head or tail end.

Lawn Darts just doesn't give you the same range! Although Darts and lawn darts probably evolved from games played by the medieval archers of merrie England.
Del

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

Re: Lawn Darts...Arrow Throwing

04/01/2009 4:31 AM

After the roman senate cut the romans military budget in 500 ad. a question arose...............What are we going to do with all these surplus ballista's? Lets bring accounting in on this, I hear their pretty sharp people.

04/01/2009 5:51 AM

So this was a big sport? Maybe we have it in your olypics 2012

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #2

04/01/2009 7:49 AM

Yes. It's called the "javelin".

In reply to #5

04/01/2009 7:50 AM

04/01/2009 6:13 AM

"in 1530 Anne Boleyn presented Henry VIII with a set of ornamented darts"

In 1536, Henry presented everyone with her head.

According to QI, he lost at a game of '101' at the time, and this is the reason bad things have been associated with 101. Being a Northerner, Orwell would have been well acquainted with this fact. Wiki is not always reliable.

Kris

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

04/01/2009 6:27 AM

I'm not a great darts fan, but I've played throwing a BIG HEAVY crossbow bolt back and forth with a mate of mine...it certainly concentrates the mind.
I've even stood down range while he shot it into a wooden panel from a 275lb crossbow of mine....
It sounded like an aproaching steam train.

Could george throw an arrow over the river I wonder?
Del

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

04/01/2009 10:08 AM

did both of you do this while having an apple on you head..

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62

Re: Lawn Darts and Arrow Throwing

04/01/2009 9:05 AM

I am ever in awe of the things members know....

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #7

04/15/2009 5:41 PM

because of google I know???

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

04/01/2009 9:52 AM

Lawn darts were not allowed at our house after my wife, son and daughter returned from a trip to visit relatives. Turns out that a couple of hours prior to their return flight, they were playing "Jarts" with my wife's cousin, when my son "caught" one with the side of his heel!

I'm a little curious about the distances obtained -- did the arrows have extra fletching to keep them airborne for a long time?

In reply to #8

04/01/2009 9:59 AM

No, they had no flight at all!
They were long and tapered, the string has a little knot at the end, the string is wrapped around the shaft about 2/3 of the way back and pulled tight against its own knot, the tension is maintained as it is launched, once the arrow is ahead of the launcher the tension goes and the string falls off.
The string used to launch them acts a bit like an Aborigine throwing stick.
I've not tried it myself but I recall as a kid seeing lads throwing arrows using a string to launch them.
Del

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #9

04/01/2009 10:02 AM

So will a modern version be in the 2010 KrisDelTM catalogue, then?

In reply to #10

04/01/2009 10:10 AM

Indeed! Special kevlar sting has been sourced.
Each length of string comes fitted with two ends...yes count them TWO, one end even has a carefully engineered knot secured...errr...by a knot.
We have a new employee, Ms Hazel Coppice who has a supply of suitable wood for the arrows. The arrows are usually a handmade item by the participant in the sport, however we are considering making a small number for selected gullible victims customers.

Del

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #14

04/01/2009 10:12 AM

And what pray thee, are these tipped with?

In reply to #15

04/01/2009 10:23 AM

Depleted Uranium.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

04/01/2009 10:41 AM

I think the wooden tips were just hardened in a fire.
Del

In reply to #18

04/01/2009 12:18 PM

I'm so glad you clarified that bit. I'd never have been able to explain how to get really hard wood.

Kris

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #10

04/03/2009 3:50 AM

We've got Nicky's Nursery !

I'm guessing it's easier to pick up darts from people, rather than the briney. There's a sort of logic to that.

Kris

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

04/01/2009 10:08 AM

Got a drawing?

In reply to #11

04/01/2009 10:15 AM

I do have references which you could Google...but If I give them up today...will people still think this is an April fool's post.
Bluff or not???

What do you think?

I'll let you all know tomorrow.
Del

In reply to #8

04/01/2009 10:10 AM

A common scenario, I think they were pulled from the market for this reason - actually catching them with one's head.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #8

04/02/2009 7:12 AM

We had a set of Jarts back when I was a kid. They where great. we used them all the time. Even after one of m,y sisters friend caught one in the foot. Back then people took responsibility for their actions and there was no law suit.

Ahhhh what fun

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - BSME Clarkson University 1992 Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - BSME Clarkson University 1992 Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - DataRock 1.0

Good Answers: 3

04/01/2009 11:01 AM

Hey Del - Thanks for taking me back to the early 1970's Upstate, NY (Latham) with your reference to Lawn Darts. :) I fondly remember sunny days at family outings where this highly dangerous game was played, and sometimes think "did that really happen?". Were they outlawed in the U.K., like they were here? And if so, do only outlaws play lawn darts in the U.K. nowadays (I can picture Ben Kingsley playing a wicked game of outlaw darts)? Please say hi! to our glorious leader for me. - Larry

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #19

04/01/2009 12:50 PM

I was working the Sports Dept. at Caldors at the same time. 'Central' had loaded us up with these wicked looking Jarts and my immediate reaction was that someone was gonna get killed or loose an eye with these things. About a month or two later we shipped them all back. Some toddler had wandered into the playing field and gotten hit in the brain.

'Adult Supervision' is not enough to keep stupid people from doing stupid things, or manufacturing them.

Carl

In reply to #21

04/01/2009 1:00 PM

Whilst any kid getting hurt is terrible, I think that on that same day many more kids were hurt by guns, cars, stones, sticks, people, animals, food, water, glass etc.
I don't think the objection actually holds up to scrutiny.
Sport and 'keep fit' activities cause huge numbers of injuries.
I have spent time in a spinal injury unit and as I recall there were injuries due to Rugby Football (like American footaball), horse riding, falls & car accidents.
Del

In reply to #22

04/01/2009 1:07 PM

I agree,

There is one thing I remember when I was a toddler. My Mom told me not to touch the stove, its hot I'll burn myself, well I did and I did, I still remember that.

Quite a lesson, And in adult life, I have learn your worst experience is usually your best.

And this goes no matter how old you are.

Don't take that away, otherwise your children will grow up to be accountants and attorneys. Burn

phoenix911

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #23

04/03/2009 10:50 AM

To crib from a wise kid I knew when we were 14 years old ...

Experience is a teacher

But here's what makes me burn

She's always teaching me the things

I do not CARE to learn!!

In reply to #40

04/03/2009 11:00 AM

funny

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #22

04/01/2009 2:58 PM

Del, I agree with you completely. But this was an occasion where a particular company was held responsible, and thus liable to a lawsuit. I don,t remember the outcome of the lawsuit, but I have a feeling that this is where Tort lawers first got thier nose under the tent.

Speaking of which, here in the US it is estimated that for every dollar one spends, some lawer gets a quarter. They'll be the first ones 'up against the wall'.

Carl

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #21

04/01/2009 2:15 PM

Why not outlaw horseshoes while you're at it? They can also be deadly and I'll warrant there have been some tragic incidences with them. Who was supposed to be watching the toddler?

In reply to #19

04/01/2009 1:08 PM

You might remember these, april05

I don't think the ones sold in the UK had a base plate. End result was some pretty random jumping ! With Space Hoppers, and Clackers, it was like some king of Newtonian acid-trip.

Kris

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #24

04/01/2009 1:39 PM

Oh yeah! Clackers! Nun-chucks in bright colors for children!

In reply to #24

04/01/2009 1:39 PM

I remember clackers. in another time they were called bolos or something

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31

04/01/2009 4:51 PM

I remember making them arrows when I was a kid! We called them 'Yorkshire Arrows' or 'Dutch Arrows' and boy did they fly! I hurled one right the way across to the island at Broadlands Lake on the Mountbatten Estate! Really dangerous but great fun!

In reply to #29

04/01/2009 5:47 PM

Blimey..yeah...I remember now they were called Dutch arrows when we were kids...dunno where that name comes from ...errr Holland?
Del

04/02/2009 7:17 AM

BTW... No-one thinks I'm bluffing or that it's and April fool joke.
You are all quite right...it's absolutely true, except for the 'taking the pith' bit.
I'm such an honest cat, it gets me into no end of trouble.

Del

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #32

04/02/2009 7:55 PM

However, the fad of arrow chucking became so popular that it led to a surplus of unused bows. However, to identify yourself as a "true" archer, chuckers would come to meets with the bows hanging around their necks, thus giving rise to the fashion of... Don't make me say it!!! bow ties

In reply to #34

04/03/2009 1:51 AM

It's a bit like the Boleyn family I mentioned before. One school of thought says the name originated from the Bow line of families. Another, that it is to do with Bowling. I'd add that it's all wood related, except that Bowls originated with cannon balls. Original stone balls worked well enough, but it was only the use of Iron that allowed the game to really take off in a big way. The Mall, London, was specifically constructed for this purpose, but the upper classes decided to play a croquet style game.

Kris

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #34

04/03/2009 4:31 AM

And the groans could be heard echoing throughout the land

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31
In reply to #37

04/03/2009 8:39 AM

......and across the seas as far away as Spain.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

04/02/2009 10:37 AM

In the USa, many things are "back to front", like the Lady who got hot coffee from MacDonalds, poured it in her own lap (while driving?) and got a big payout from MacDonalds, because they did not mark it as being hot!!!!

DDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How crazy can it get??????

...and you make the Jart company also responsible for who uses them??????

How can that happen?

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #33

04/03/2009 10:49 AM

Same way the anti-gun ownership crowd in America wants to make the gun manufacturers responsible for the crimes committed with guns, even the ones stolen from legitimate owners, in home breakins, while the owners are away!

Stupid lawyers!! Throw 'em out.

If all the lawyers on the planet were laid end to end ...

It would probably be a good thing!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agila (1); Andy Germany (1); Anonymous Poster (7); april05 (1); Bill (1); Del the cat (10); edignan (5); micahd02 (2); Mikerho (1); Mr. Truman Brain (2); phoenix911 (5); PWSlack (2); rlindey (1); Tippycanoe (2); vermin (1)

Previous in Forum: Charging Laptop Batteries with Solar Cells   Next in Forum: obtaining measurements

Advertisement