Previous in Forum: 1977 Yamaha DT 400 - Seat Removal   Next in Forum: 2003 Dodge Ram - Smell of Radiator Fluid When Heat's On
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Infrared (IR) Remote for Car Radio

04/05/2009 11:48 PM

I wanted to put a Kenwood KDC-2022 Car Stereo on my motorcycle.And I was thinking that seeing that it has a remote control ,that I can put the radio in the back of the bike,behind the driver and useing the remote to control the radio.But I soon found out and also forgot that this worked from an " infrared " light source. and the receiver has to see the light. So now my question is ,Could I use any infered l e d and make a small wire harness and and place Just the new infrared l e d on the front of my bike where I could use the remote and just point it at the led, This new l e d would be wired into the same location on the pc board as the one that is in the radio.also could I LEAVE the original l e d in place. I call kenwood and asked them if i could buy the Male and Female connector that connects the face plate to the radio and they told me to call another parts place,so I did and they said that I could buy both connectors.Never thought that I would ever beable to get them that easy.I plan to make a wire harrness and install the face plate on the front of my motorcycle.

But I would like to know about doing it with just the l e d. I also Know that the sun can interfer with the infrared l e d.

Thanks

John

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

Re: Infrared (IR) Remote for Car Radio

04/06/2009 10:52 AM

I used to have a system that would allow me to play a VCR in one room onto another TV in another room. Part of the system used an IR remote transmitter and receiver to allow the remote control to work the VCR in the other room. I thought the system was called Rabbit, and was from Radio Shack. You might start there. Good luck.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

04/06/2009 11:54 PM

Why not just remove the LED from the remote & mount it in close proximity to the face plate? use a semi permanant mount on the left for the remote & wires in between...

Login to Reply
Commentator
Canada - Member - I am from Canada Eh' Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Condition Monitoring, Advanced Diagnostics and Engineering Services Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Aviation Aftermarket Services for Honeywell Aerospace

In reply to #2

04/07/2009 5:01 AM

Excuse the negativity....but coming from another rider.....are you crazy? You are just looking to run into something bigger than you rigging some Rube Goldberg device up on a motorcycle. If you must have music, I suggest an Ipod shuffle, it has no display to look at to distract you while riding, just hit play before you roll off and you are set.

My .02

Canada - Member - BC Born, Alberta Raised, Quebec (poutine) crazed... Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - An airplane is just a bunch of beams... Hobbies - Model Rocketry - Had fun as a kid...fun stuff Hobbies - CNC - dreaming of cutting Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - PID ME!

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #3

04/07/2009 7:04 AM

This might not be sport bike like in your avatar pic...perhaps it's a big cruiser that often do have speakers. The remote could be placed somewhere convenient so hands could stay on handlebars.

Someone out there has got to make a kit for this...remove the old radio and allow for an ipod to be inserted in it's place. Best to keep the lcd hidden though so eyes aren't straying from the road.

Personally I'd put it wherever the original radio was (if there was one) since the wiring is all there. I'd avoid the back since there's a lot of water issues back there. Moving the IR transmitter or reciever would both work...keep your wire runs (for these small components) away from your ignition or use shielded wire...it would get a bit funky to have your radio think your remote buttons were getting pushed at the same speed as your engine due to signal interference.

In reply to #3

04/07/2009 10:56 AM

The bike is a honda saber.When you say that I shouldn't have the face plate mounted up front, I dont agree, Dose your bike have a speed o? I think that when I drive no matter how fast I go that I know what Im doing.But that is not the point or question.

And thanks for your concern.

I just wanted to know if I could run a second led from the face plate and how would I find out what type of led or are all the same.except for size.

tks

John

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

04/08/2009 8:34 PM

Here's alink that came up on my gmail inbox:

http://www.hdtvhookup.com/irrepeaters.html?gclid=CKimkYPF4pkCFRxNagodZ2ueVw

A IR repeater for indoors, wonder what the voltage is?

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

In reply to #6

04/09/2009 10:43 AM

The components show a 115 volt power supply transformer, so it must be low voltage. If the unit is not 12 volts, Napa sells a DC to DC power converter that uses a cigarette lighter plug, and reduces to 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, or 12 volts. It also allows you to reverse the polarity on the plug. And has a choice of 4 male plug styles. It has part # 782-5001. Good luck.

In reply to #7

04/09/2009 10:46 AM

A closer look shows the unit is actually 12 volt powered, so the power converter in not needed.

In reply to #2

04/10/2009 1:41 AM

garth, this is what you said.
'"

Why not just remove the LED from the remote & mount it in close proximity to the face plate? use a semi permanant mount on the left for the remote & wires in between...''''''

Could I use any led, or would it have to be an infread led? And then how would I find out what kind,what size, etc . led to buy.And could I leave the led in the radio and just run two wires to the other led inferred . Would that work.

If I could just use another led,that would be the easiest.

tks

John

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

04/10/2009 2:19 AM

It would have to be an infra red led

I was thinking to remove the original led... if you have a soldering iron & compressed air. Blowing out the liquid solder, isn't standard procedure, but works.

I don't know how to match or if it would matter as long as it is a infra red?

Direct is probably not a good plan you would probably need a opto-coupler or some other kind of isolation device. Del the cat or Andy germany [& others] would know more than I?

Login to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/09/2009 11:04 PM

I have gotten my male and female adp. that go from the face plate to the radio. so Ill just make a harness.And then just plug in the face plate,and it should worlk.

Thank all

John

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

04/10/2009 1:09 AM

Hardwire is always more reliable than any wireless solution.... LOL

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bob c (3); conntaxman (2); Garthh (4); kkjensen (1); The Green Bastard (1)

Previous in Forum: 1977 Yamaha DT 400 - Seat Removal   Next in Forum: 2003 Dodge Ram - Smell of Radiator Fluid When Heat's On

Advertisement