Previous in Forum: Generator Plant Mgr   Next in Forum: 220v/460v 3phase generators/motors
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant

Auto Cad 3d Modeling

04/19/2009 7:17 AM

Hello....All gurus......good afternoon. to all

Actually my problem is I nkow Auto Cad (2d) but i dont know 3D . Can any body help me please.

If i want to change dimension force fully as i like to define, then what to do..?Suppose one length is 5 meter. But i want to show it as 7 meter , what to do?

Hope u nderstand my question.

Thanking you.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Brazil - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - Hey there... interested in exchanging information about car performance? Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil 30deg01'39.73"S 51deg13'43.45"W
Good Answers: 28

Re: Auto Cad 3d Modeling

04/19/2009 3:52 PM

I am not a guru, but... If you want to change a dimension in the part, just edit the dimension in the sketch that is forming the body profile, or edit the feature that is composing the dimension. Edit the solid you have, and the drawing in the page to print will follow. Its that simple. All the 3D drawing softwares in the market today work this way.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

04/19/2009 11:03 PM

I think you are looking for autocad to be parametric... keep looking.

Register to Reply
Commentator

04/20/2009 12:37 AM

Depending on the version your using there are a couple of different things you can try, double click/right click the actual dimension which should bring up the dimedit window, hightlight the detail view ((XX)), highlight the x's and type in the dimension you need and close the window.

If right /double clicking has no affect on the dimension you can highlight the dimension and type "explode" (warning: last resort) , you should be able to manipulate the text as needed.

Register to Reply
Power-User

04/20/2009 2:41 AM

Change the drawing scale.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Next to the Prime Merridian (51°29'34.50"N 0°13'32.85"W)
Good Answers: 1

04/20/2009 3:59 AM

Just do what the first respondent said!

Edit the dimention without having the need to change the actual size of the object.

As for altering an object - just pick on the side you wanna change (inside the border lines) and start drawing it with your mouse and...alternatively enter the value difference you need to add or minus from the current size.

There are also a lot of help files to read about these things and bloody read them!!!

Good Answers: 4

04/21/2009 10:47 AM

You can't change dimension in AutoCAD 3D. Its not parametric.

You'll have to extrude a 2 meter section to add to your 5 meter part.

AutoCAD 3D is boolean solid. What ever you've drawn, its done and is really "solid". The ONLY way to "modify" it is add and subtract another solid. Its good to learn how parts get together but a pain for production.

If you really want to learn 3D, go to AutoDesk website and Solidwork website. They're both giving out free copy of their software for people to learn and help them get new job.

AutoCAD solid 3D is obsoleted so don't waste your time learning it.

In reply to #6

04/22/2009 7:54 AM

Thanks for u r suggestion........Actually i dont know 3D , i work on 2D .

I am going to join in an Auto cad Institute from coming sunday, you

told , "AutoCAD solid 3D is obsoleted so don't waste your time learning it." So,

what is the Latest software available in market for 3D sir........?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #7

04/22/2009 11:52 AM

Please read my earlier reply again.

In reply to #8

09/25/2018 8:07 AM

Several types of 3D modeling are available in AutoCAD. Each of these 3D modeling technologies offer a different set of capabilities.

• Wireframe modeling is useful for initial design iterations and as reference geometry, serving as a 3D framework for subsequent modeling or modification.
  • Solid modeling is efficient to use, easy to combine primitives and extruded profiles, and offers mass properties and sectioning capabilities.
  • Surface modeling offers fine control over curved surfaces for precise manipulation and analysis.
  • Mesh modeling provides freeform sculpting, creasing, and smoothing capabilities.

A 3D model can include combinations of these technologies, and you can convert between them. For example, you can convert a primitive 3D solid pyramid to a 3D mesh to perform mesh smoothing. You can then convert the mesh to a 3D surface or back to a 3D solid to take advantage of their respective modeling features.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #7

04/22/2009 12:32 PM

The 'Best' software is application dependent!!!

it depends entirely on what you want to do.

If you are doing product design, then Solidworks is awesome

If you are designing oil refineries, then Bentley

If you are doing residential architecture, then Chief Architect

If you are modelling for animation, esp. with organics, then 3D Studio Max and/or Maya

if you want to get into raytracing cheaply, try out Pov-Ray and Moray (open source + shareware)

I've tried to build things with Solidworks for which it is not the best.. like architectural stuff.. and it just won't work. There are also things that AutoCAD is going to be best at. like scaled 2D drawings.. There are things that Visio is best at, that others can't do.. or Corel, or Adobe.

the list goes on and on.. and every software does something special and unique, makes it excellent at a particular focus. This is the nature of software and of algorithmic design. It is all entirely dependent on what you want to create.. Like a technician, you have to choose the correct tool for the job.

Take this advice to heart. Find out what your application is first, before evaluating on whether it can do the job or not. Never make your decisions based on just video presentations, but on you actually being able to create what you want in that software, or someone you trust, who is qualified, to be able to create what you want, in said software.

AutoCAD also has add-on applications that amplify its capabilities for Civil, Architectural, Electrical, and Mechanical.. and with some advanced skills, good 3D can be done. I've seen it.. its difficult though, by comparison. Also be aware that Autodesk are the original authors of 3D studio Max and Maya.. and probably others.

Chris

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bhrescobar (1); biswanath.das (1); chrisg288 (2); Isti80 (1); JJSEEKER (1); Pineapple (2); sabitini (1)

Previous in Forum: Generator Plant Mgr   Next in Forum: 220v/460v 3phase generators/motors

Advertisement