Previous in Forum: Connecting Wind Turbines to the Grid   Next in Forum: Increasing Transformer Capacity
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Anonymous Poster

440V 3Ph without neutral transform to 220V AC Single phase.

05/07/2009 2:12 AM

Hi mates,

For a marine vessel, where there is no neutral, we have 440V, 3 ph supply from owner.

We have a small 220V AC valve actuator.

I am only given the 440V, 3ph connection without neutral.

So how do I power up my actuator. Can someone please assist.

Thanks in advance.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: 440V 3Ph without neutral transform to 220V AC Single phase.

05/07/2009 3:00 AM

What is wanted is a transformer that takes the phase-to-phase voltage, and reduces it to 220VAC at its outlet terminals.

Suitable transformers are available from many sources.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

Re: 440V 3Ph without neutral transform to 220V AC Single phase.

05/07/2009 9:06 AM

You want to buy a transformer that has a little higher KVA rating than the loads you are going to connect. If your valve is a 3 phase monster, you will need three transformers. I suspect it only has two wires and therefore is a single phase device.

Look for the current rating on the device label. Multiply it by 220 (volts) and you have the VA rating. Divide by 1000 and then you have the KVA rating. Don't forget that you will need to comply with electrical codes which means you will need some type of fuse or circuit breaker and a disconnect somewhere near the valve.

Since this is a marine environment, I hope you are considering water tight devices as well.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Connecting Wind Turbines to the Grid   Next in Forum: Increasing Transformer Capacity

Advertisement