Previous in Forum: Sizing a Cable for an Inductor Heater   Next in Forum: Bad Bubbling - Fluidized Bed Boilers
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

Valves and Flow Coefficients

05/08/2009 4:01 AM

Does anyone know how to calculate a Cv value or a butterfly valve. I can find plenty of examples of how to calculate the Cv that you require a valve to be for your process but what if you design a butterfly valve and want to calculate/predict the Cv value.

Which is what I'm trying to do any help would be appreciated.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Cv flow valve
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 28

Re: Valves and Flow Coefficients

05/08/2009 9:46 AM

You could intially take a simplistic approach and use an Orifice - Cv calculator.

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/calculators/orifice/orifice-diameter-to-flow-coefficient.asp

OR

Multiply the effective area S calculated in mm2 by a constant to produce a supposedly equivalent Cv.
The most common conversion is S=18.45Cv.

Neither is a perfect solution by any means ...but perhaps a start point.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 130

05/08/2009 4:20 PM

Why would you need to? Information from manufacturers is readily available, and over the full range of opening, 0 to 90°. This information comes from actual tests on the valves, not calculation. I assume valve design is on mechanical and construction considerations, not Cv (maybe one eye kept on streamlining the disc if low pressure drop is wanted). Cv is then what's measured on test.

Cheers.......Codey

Location: Johannesburg South Africa in a quiet Garden Suburb of Edenvale

05/09/2009 12:38 AM

Hi John:

The comment from Woody is relevant as a first step calculation ie measure (calculate) the flow area of your Butterfly valve and use the Spirax Sarco calculator to obtain a CV Value. Because a Butterfly valve does not look at all like an orifice as the disc provides obstruction and turbulence the calculator can only be used as a first step calculation to give you an idea of what the Cv could look like.

The only way to get an accurate fix on Cv is to have it measured on a flow rig.

I hope this helps

Best of luck with you new design - I would like to have a look at it when complete

Peter

05/09/2009 8:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's been a great help in that it confirms what I was beginning to realise that it can't be accurately calculated but measured on a test rig.

Thanks again.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/10/2009 3:53 AM

Hi! If you know the Cv of the required valve, ask the manufacturer to give you his catalogue with Cv values listed with sizes. Choose the one you need. That's it. Anyhow, even for other valves as well, we actually don't calculate Cv of valve but take vendor value. initial guide of 11 X (port)2 is only a guestimate figure. cheers//Goyal

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Codemaster (1); JohnSuton (1); Peter Telle (1); woodygb (1)

Previous in Forum: Sizing a Cable for an Inductor Heater   Next in Forum: Bad Bubbling - Fluidized Bed Boilers
You might be interested in: Gas Valves, Industrial Valves, Solenoid Valves

Advertisement