Previous in Forum: absbuild   Next in Forum: Drying Equipment
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Active Contributor

Wind and Solar Hybrid energy system

05/16/2009 2:49 PM

Hi friends, I'm working on a project to upgrade existing 2.5KWe Solar Energy system on a offshore platform at Malaysia to a hybrid of Wind and Solar, reason being during Monsoon Season( october to december, the solar do not produce enough energy for the equipments use. The Battery installed are 1400AH and the autonomy of 5 days are required.

I plan to install a 2.5 KWe Wind Turbine for the upgrade and will install Lighting as Dump Load. the challenge I'm facing is to select the correct Hybrid Charge controller.

The wind turbine comes with its own control panel and Batteries ( 1500AH )

I'm considering the MSRx6 Charge Controller, anyone can help please.

Thank you.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 31

Re: Wind and Solar Hybrid energy system

05/16/2009 4:35 PM

This is very a very interesting concept with the potential for wide spread applications. I hope you receive a lot of input.

I am anxious to see what will be written regarding your problem.

Hobbies - Fishing -

Good Answers: 20

05/16/2009 11:03 PM

Hi

What is the voltage of the wind turbine and system/battery voltage? Outback makes an 80 amp FX-80 charge controller and Appolo Solar makes a T100 100 amp charge controller. It is generally not recomended to use lights as a dump load as the bulbs fail and fail more often with the variable input from the diversion. Heater (water or air) elements are more reliable.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #2

05/17/2009 1:33 AM

I agree on the lightbulbs problem,

I'd go with electric water heater element, you always need hot wayer, and if the wateris already too hot you have a whole ocean of water you can try to heat.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #2

05/17/2009 1:42 AM

I don't think they need any more hot air in Malaysia, or at least not enough for a serious dump load. Perhaps a heat driven ice maker/air conditioner? If the dump lighting circuit is separate, use over voltage bulbs?

That's all the hot air I have!

Good Answers: 3

05/17/2009 4:17 AM

Hello Multitech.

We went to see my wife's favourite beach at Terendak (Malacca) where she used to work.

As it was now an oil terminal we were unable to enjoy the solar radiation in quite the same way, nor see her school there.

Regarding the wind, she said the wind always dropped when they went sailing.

05/17/2009 11:18 AM

The system voltage is 24V dc, and the charge controller is 160Amp, the idea of installing a light as a dump load is because heater are not allowed on a platform with high risk of explosion.

Hobbies - Fishing -

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #6

05/17/2009 12:18 PM

I still wouldn't use lights. Sink an element into the ocean or put a hot water heater in. As for the charge controller, I'm not familiar with that particular model, although, if it has diversion load control it should be suitable.

05/18/2009 12:01 AM

What is your peak load? What is your average load? What is your minimum load?

What kind of batteries are you using?

Why are you dumping load?

How does the wind generator normally prevent over spinning if load or excitation field is lost?

05/19/2009 12:54 AM

If you just can't efficiently size your power production and storage mediums and you must dump load then perhaps a water pump would work. It sounds like you have access to plenty of water.

Perhaps a small hydro storage scheme is practical where the water would be pumped up to the platform when excess power is available and then used to power a generator during peak or low supply periods. It would be a great way to study, on a small scale, the practicality of using hydro storage in a solar and wind power application.

How far from shore is the platform? If it is close to shore and if the topography would allow you move your storage reservoir to the shore.

OR

If I were lucky enough to have your problem and resource I would hybrid my storage system. I would look at dumping my power into a massive low tech flywheel. Dump your load into a motor coupled to one end of the flywheel axle and pull power off a generator coupled to the other end of the flywheel axle. Use that device as your primary storage/power averaging device and use your batteries for your backup storage. This will reduce the charge/discharge depth on your batteries thus extending their lifespan.

Because it sounds like you can support massive weight and would not be very volume sensitive, the flywheel can be quite large thus reducing the requirement for using high tech materials for the flywheel. I haven't done the math for flywheel storage concepts for many years and I don't recall how much energy could be stored but I would imagine it would be considerable, especially if the flywheel could be made very massive.

Gavilan

Good Answers: 2

05/26/2009 10:38 PM

Use a radial fan on a vertical axle and pick the largest turbine blade (cups etc) and paint one side with reflective material and the other with a heavy black out. Because your using a larger windmill use a large ring gear if the generator requires gear matching (rather than design matching). If it's on a bigger installation you may consider a design such as a helical savonius rotor with the solar panels built into the turbine to drive it as a flying module. To improve upon that each blade and mdoule of the savonius could be seperately flown by computer control so that the wind and solar inputs are optimized; but that complexity is only useful for developed countries designing new power installations.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brett Johnston (1); duikerbok (1); Gavilan (3); lighthasmass (2); MultiTech (1); NSS (1); Tippycanoe (1)

Previous in Forum: absbuild   Next in Forum: Drying Equipment

Advertisement