Previous in Forum: What Reading List Would Enable the Rebuilding of Civilization? - re-deux   Next in Forum: Sine Wave Generator Circuit - Loading Issue
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Associate
South Africa - Member - Member Shonver

Good Answers: 2

Quality Concepts

05/20/2009 1:24 AM

I am working on a project (for my studies) that requires me to explain the difference between quality techniques and quality tools. Easy enough. But I also have to break it down into 5 topics. Problem is, I find that there is no clear delineation between some of these concepts. If I can get a clear(er) definition of the respective concepts it will be plain sailing from there on. Can someone give me a start, or some references, please?

They are:

1. Tools (this one's easy)
  2. Techniques (starts getting a bit hazy)
  3. Methodologies (er...)
  4. Philosophies
  5. Approaches

I find that especially the last two terms (concepts) are used almost interchangeably in the texts I have found. I'm not asking anyone to write my paper; I just need a nudge in the right direction.

Help much appreciated.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Power-User

Location: united states, california san francisco bay area native
Good Answers: 8

Re: Quality Concepts

05/20/2009 1:56 AM

if i may:

allow me to present a thought on tools:

hardware: an standard

one companys , either 3 or 5 , is design their tool, wrenches, crowsfeet, gland nut wrenches.sockets...to engage the bolt

buy the flank of the head..

the , 4 , of that is by gripping the flank , we eliminate, the potential to " round " off the corners of the bolt..

vs. the method of gripping the corner of the bolts head..

well , hope that helps.. gl

e & oe

ahuha

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

05/20/2009 2:53 AM

Hmmmm, I'd write the essay, but also criticise the question.
Quality is an too important to be wasted with a load of verbosity.
It becomes an exercise in linguistics.
Take 4 and 5.
4.Philosophies.... what does you Qa system want to achieve? Good quality? Not necessarilly you might be making a cheap one use item for a non critcal appliction...say 3D glasses for a horror movie.
5. Approaches, I'm afraid I'd take the piss her and say 'up the front path and in the door' How do you intend to implement it in broad terms...

The problem with the question is that you can interpret the terms in your own way.
The question is merely using the linguistics to make you think.

So in conclusion, write the essay that you want to write and interpret the words and compartmentalise the essay to suit the question.

Del

South Africa - Member - Member Shonver

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #2

05/20/2009 4:10 AM

Del, I can agree with your comments. Problem is, I don't trust the lecturer's ability to engage intelligently with a student's clever response, so I'm stuck with having to answer the question as posed to me...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

05/20/2009 3:37 AM

Oh, yes, and I'd agree that trying to distinguish between techniques and methodologies is virtually impossible...
I daresay a PhD in English language could write a thesis on the distinction but I'm I'm afraid I can't fit a 5thou feeler gauge between 'em

If pressed I'd say a method is a description of how something is done in broad terms, techniques is the fine detail.
E.G. My method for roughing out a bow stave is by using an axe.
The technique is chop downwards from the centre, with the stave held vertically, the lower end resting on an old tree stump, proceeding on one limb, the the other, checking by looking down the bow and trying to flex it frequently.

So maybe 'technique' is the implementation of 'method'?

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Del

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62

05/20/2009 7:38 AM

Good guidance - Del

I am put in mind of having homework come from school mixing within a calculation ounces-volume and ounces-weight.

My kid looked me dead in the eye and said "I can be right, or I can get the grade - I'll take the grade since I know what is right."

Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

05/20/2009 7:57 AM

In a software world for FAA software, so DO-178B lots of this is assumed, but restated every time:

1. Tools
  2. Techniques
  3. Methodologies
  4. Philosophies
  5. Approaches

Philosophy - Software can be exhaustively tested without finding every failure mode. Software specifics vary between projects. The constant in the equation is the company. This does not mean the individual software should not be tested.

Approach - The company being my constant, I will measure that which doesn't vary between projects. The process the firm uses to produce software should not vary. I will develop standards to measure this tool they use for production (process). I will also test the software.

Methodology - I will take the statements of process policy within the firm (as they are updated to the specific project) and I will audit how well the firm complies with these. In the specific software - I will not measure how well it works, I will measure how well it complies with the requirements it is supposed to fulfill.

Techniques - Process will be measured with a combination of ad hoc inspection for compliance, and project specific inspections of work product against the process designed to produce these work products, in a series of Phases. Exit from one phase of production will be determined by compliance with the requirements of the previous phase. Software will be measured at multiple levels. The integrated system on the target software - against the requirements for that level. The hardware independent software requirements can be tested on or off the target hardware, but will be measured against the specific requirements for that level - a requirement at this level will be designed to tell the developer "what" the code shall do, not how the code shall do it. Beneath this shall be a level of requirements called the Design, the design shall be the product of analysis of the previous level, and will delineate "how" the requirement is to be fullfilled.

Tools - Specific tools shall be described in the top level documents //////////

Hard to make myself stop once I get started - I crank this stuff all day.

Note in the example - it IS hard to tell method from technique, approach from philosophy - up to you to decide where.

Good luck!

Good Answers: 196
In reply to #6

05/20/2009 11:17 PM

Edignan -- GA for this fellow. His course instructor needs to go out in the bush and spend some time watching carnivores hunt their dinner so he can get a grip on reality.

Ed Weldon

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #7

05/21/2009 7:46 AM

Appreciate the GA, but I am also a little frightened how easily I can sit down and crank this *stuff* now - as in found on your shoe *stuff*

And I appreciate the difference you refer to, but this IS what I generate for the feds, so if he wants to work in my field the question is spot on.

Guru

Good Answers: 243

05/20/2009 11:20 PM

You have rec'd good advice from all that have posted so far.

May I take a stab at it? Rather than answers, I will illustrate with examples...

They are:

Tools (this one's easy) X bar r chart using average and standard Deviation (species)

Techniques (starts getting a bit hazy) Using Statistical process controls (genus) (as opposed to sacrificing virgins like we did in the old days)

Methodologies (er...) How we choose to implement these (families)

Philosophies Continuous improvement through use of Statistical Methods (order)

Quality mission is a (class)

Management is a (Phylum)

And Work would be the Kingdom ...

What you were given was a partial taxonomy of quality discipline; Why not use what we know biological taxonomy to illuminate this assignment?

Hope this helps. Its a quick take, I'll be travelling a few days. Feel free to adjust. I'd love to get a copy of your finished report,

milo

In reply to #8

05/21/2009 7:49 AM

Taxonomy and hierarchy - wish there was *still* a web browser that did this - it would make looking for info so much easier.

Webcrawler sort of used to - but apparently it wasn't popular?

Anonymous Poster

05/22/2009 8:38 AM

Hi,Any Philosophy is the foundation guide line; does not tell you how to achieve what you specifically need;not offers you ready solutions, But highly essential for you to be on your right journey.This journey is the approach to problem solving.(You must define the problem before solving it.). You then solve the problem using right tools. This Process of problem solving with effective use of tools is the methodology you adopt to get the desired results. sanjay

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ahuha (1); Anonymous Poster (1); Del the cat (2); Ed Weldon (1); edignan (4); Milo (1); Shonver (1)

Previous in Forum: What Reading List Would Enable the Rebuilding of Civilization? - re-deux   Next in Forum: Sine Wave Generator Circuit - Loading Issue

Advertisement