Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Associate

Accelerometer Cable Cross-Section Area

06/25/2009 5:12 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the cross-sectional area of accelerometer cables. Does anyone know the average cable cross-section area of single-axis and tri-axis accelerometers? I need to know these values to roughly calculate the size of the hole I will have to open to a side panel of my structure for the cables of the accelerometers I will place inside the structure.

In other words; I have an enclosed test specimen, there will be accelerometers inside. I want to find the hole size that I'll need for the cables to come out, and for that I want to learn the average cable cross-sectional area.

Thanks in advance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Accelerometer cable cross-section area

06/25/2009 5:50 AM

Knowing the "average" won't help. Could be anything from 2-3mm to 10-15mm, depending on application, though 4-6mm would be more common.

Best way to go is select your accelerometers & work back from that. If they're pre-wired, you've got your answer. If not, you can chose your own cable (as long as it meets the supplier's recommendations re. current carrying & screening).

In reply to #1

06/25/2009 6:30 AM

Thanks for the answer. Are these values the diameters in milimeters, or are they areas in milimeter square? I'm asking because I don't know anything about the magnitude of the values either (and a 10mm diameter cable seemed thick to me for signal transmission, might be my lack of knowledge on accelerometers)

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #2

06/25/2009 7:38 AM

I've given the OD (in mm) of a complete insulated cable. The larger diameters I cited would only be appropriate where there was need for protection against physical damage.

The actual wire csa needed for the conductors is probably only about 0.1 or 0.2mm2 - but as I said, you should check with the manufacturer or supplier of the particular devices you're going to use.

Here's one I came across from Sherborne:

The block is 30mm x 30mm x 9.5mm, so you can roughly scale the cable OD.

Re: Accelerometer Cable Cross-Section Area

06/25/2009 10:16 AM

Yes, I'm expecting to receive an answer from the facility that has the accelerometers soon enough; I urgently needed an estimation on what magnitude it could be. Thank you a lot for the help! :)

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Mr   Next in Forum: Interfaced PLCs to SCADA/HMI

Advertisement