Previous in Forum: Gas Pollution and Effluent Treatment   Next in Forum: Basic allowable stress S (Table A-1 ASME B31.3)
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

neem mosquito repellent

06/27/2009 7:42 AM

Reently I came across this posting on the internet...

1: Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 1995 Mar;26(1):180-2. Related Articles, Links

Field studies on the mosquito repellent action of neem oil.

Sharma SK, Dua VK, Sharma VP.

Malaria Research Center (Field Station), BHEL Complex, Ranipur, Hardwar, India.

Repellent action of neem oil was evaluated against different mosquito species. 2% neem oil mixed in coconut oil provided 96-100% protection from anophelines, 85% from Aedes, 37.5% from Armigeres whereas it showed wide range of efficacy from 61-94% against Culex spp. Therefore, neem oil can be applied as a personal protection measure against mosquito bites.

I mixed 125ml of coconut oil and 1.25ml of neem oil. Overnight the coconut oil seperates and settles. I am looking for an additive that would stablize and fix this mixture. Would benzoin help at all. Our company Pure & Simple Ways wholesales oils and I have access to hundreds of different oils and resins.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Re: neem mosquito repellent

06/27/2009 9:10 AM

Your neem oil may have lot of water and maybe very little neem oil or essence

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 103

06/27/2009 10:12 AM

Neem is not only in the mosquito, it is a general purpose insecticide.

I have read some 30 yrs back about its use in place of the chemicals. This was field tried - the extract of the neem seeds if sprayed over the crops, it has a very strong insecticide effect on the bugs. No it does not kill, rather worse, they prefer to remain hungry and die of starvation rather than eating tose bitter leaves.

Traditionally we even burn the neem leaves to get rid of mosquitoes.

Neem oil (in soap) is a very good skin care product.

and so on. In fact traditionally we put a neem tree in the garden from the direction the breeze flows in.

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #2

06/29/2009 12:29 AM

And Traditionally, in India, it is said that if you eat single raw neem leaf, you will be healthy.

No body in practice follows this, thus, symbolically, on 1st day of the lunar Hindu year (Gudhi Padwa), we eat a leaf of neem tree, as a ritual.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

06/27/2009 10:31 AM

I think partially hydrogenating your oil would work, and it should be cost effective.

Good Luck!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144

06/27/2009 5:47 PM

Tincture of benzoin is generally used as a preservative in cosmetics. You might not need it to fight spoilage in your insecticide product, since Neem oil has significant antibacterial and antifungal activity. Neem preparations are reported antibacterial for gram positive (eg Staph aureus) but not (or weakly) for gram negative bacteria (eg E. Coli). There's some data given in this abstract, about antibacterial activity at different concentrations and temperatures, that might be useful.

Spoilage with an oil product shouldn't be much of a problem anyway - as long as there's nothing aqueous mixed in. Cold cream type preparations are more prone to spoilage.

If you are looking to prepare a solid ointment or roll-on product, a little melted beeswax blended with your coconut oil-neem oil mixture should do it.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #4

06/28/2009 9:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I will study the abstract.

I have also been experimenting with a blend of neem and garlic for our cows and horses. Face flies are tough on these animals. I mixed 15% unrefined neem, 2% pharmaceutical grade gralic oil, 8% emulisifer (soap) and 75% water. It works great but the garlic is certainly strong. We have alot of customers in the argiculture business and are always seeking good formulas that they might use.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #5

06/28/2009 12:25 PM

You're welcome.

I can see that garlic oil might pose a problem with milk cows. The constituents that give garlic a strong odor and taste are absorbed through the skin as much as by eating, and they can affect the taste of the milk. Neem has a great medicinal profile for skin - many benign activities afaict on a quick read, so unless it affects the taste of milk it looks like a great choice for your purposes.

I don't have much personal knowledge about insect repellents, so I don't know what would be a good alternative to garlic. Now that I think of it, what about using garlic on those tags cows are often sporting attached to their ears? They use their ears to shush away flies anyway to some extent... ? Just a thought.

But I did have a nice insect repellent some years back which was made with essential oils: I used to put it on my hat brim when I was farming. Worked great, but it wore off after about half an hour though, so had to reapply pretty often. Unfortunately I don't know what was in it: it was a proprietary blend and actually smelled terrific.

I know of some great natural products for treatment of fly bites after the fact, but they're based on ethanol/water extracts rather than oils, so the extract profile is quite different. Keeping flies off in the first place is even better, though!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #6

06/30/2009 9:53 AM

I give my cow garlic about 3 times a week - a full bulb, which she treats like a lolly.

If she gets it before milking, some taste comes through.

Given after milking, the tase has dissipated before the next milking and there is no tainted flavor detectable.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Commentator

06/28/2009 1:59 PM

Anyone know where to get Neem seeds ? In North America or better in Mexico ?

Power-User

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #7

07/18/2009 7:30 PM

neem seeds: the last time i googled it, they were available in India. be warned though that it is a tropical plant and does not snow, freezing, etc. therefore it can not be cultivated as a perineal and would have to be replanted every year.

Guru

In reply to #11

07/19/2009 6:03 AM

Neem trees are growing well at Wondecla not far from here.

This is the coldest part of the Atherton tablelands and gets many frosts each winter.

The tree is deciduous, so has good tolerance of cold winters.

Neem is a relative of White Cedar, and you rarely get a tougher plant.

Once established, Neem will handle lengthy very dry spells also.

Power-User

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #12

07/19/2009 10:05 AM

thank you sceptic,

perhaps i will give them a try growing them here. i didn't realise their range was so great. if they are that hardy, they might survive here. i am in far northern california, near the coast at 3,000 feet. if they don't survive here, they probably would at mom's in east texas. thanks again.

joe

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

07/19/2009 9:56 PM

www.fineessentialoils.com has pure neem oil

Guru

06/30/2009 9:51 AM

You could try mixing some lecithin to keep the 2 oils together.

I believe that Neem oil has a limited shelf life (6months?), so freshness of supply will be important.

My understanding is that Neem interferes with reproduction. The current generations isn't killed, but they leave no offspring. If this is so, it would probably be effective to reduce the mosquito population, but not, say, green ants (the queen wouldn't get any).

An advantage would be that it shouldn't affect the local bees, which is a serious problem with most insecticides.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); artbyjoe (2); artsmith (2); gsuhas (1); Kuchroo (1); Pure and Simple (1); Raknruin (1); sb (1); sceptic (3); Stecool (1)

Previous in Forum: Gas Pollution and Effluent Treatment   Next in Forum: Basic allowable stress S (Table A-1 ASME B31.3)

Advertisement