Previous in Forum: Pump Sizing   Next in Forum: Stain and Sealers for an Outdoor Slate Patio
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Active Contributor

Corrosivity to SS316L with Sulfuric Acid

08/07/2009 1:06 PM

Hello,

I want to use 5-10% solution of sulfuric acid (38%) for cleaning a vessel of SS316L for about 3-4 hrs. How corrosive it would be for the metal?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Corrosion SS316L stainless steel
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 103

Re: corrosivity to SS316L with sulfuric acid

08/07/2009 1:31 PM

SS316L is supposed to handle sulphuric acid upto quite a bit concentration well. However the welds are another matter.

But why don't you use pickling solutions?

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 415

08/07/2009 1:33 PM

No one will give you an answer with a question posed like that.

Depends on what are you removing,

Contact you chemical supplier....if you have one, if not...try this.

http://www.ecolab.com/

They are pricey, but they know.

phoenix911

In reply to #2

08/09/2009 12:11 AM

Hello All,

We are trying to remove calcium scale/deposit from the vessel at ambient temp. The concern was whether it will have any corrosion on the body of the vessel.

Also interested to know any precaution to be taken.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

Re: Corrosivity to SS316L with Sulfuric Acid

08/07/2009 2:19 PM

As SB stated, in general 316SS should handle that concentration just fine. but you will need to be aware of ANY other components (gaskets, seals, O-rings, nuts/bolts, sensors, floats, ball valves etc etc) or weld seams which are not 316SS. It is also good to know what you are trying to clean from the SS.

In reply to #3

08/08/2009 11:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.

It is Calcium deposit that has to be removed from the vessel.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/07/2009 11:05 PM

SS316L is cofortable only in acidic but oxidising environment say not in HCl (a riducing character acid) and hence so far as you maintain oxidizing environment with this concentration of acid, you should not face any problem at ambient temperature.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

08/08/2009 10:51 AM

What temperature levels are you targeting? If ambient, it should be fine for the vessel, but as others note you need to look at the gaskets, welds and seals.

In reply to #5

08/09/2009 12:05 AM

It will be ambient temp. Thanks for the answer.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 5

08/10/2009 11:06 AM

Removing calcium scale with sulfuric acid sounds like a "no-win" situation to me. Calcium in the presence of the sulfates of the acid will form a relatively difficult CaSO4 scale which is difficult to dissolve. You may end up in a worse condition than you started with! I suggest that you determine the existing calcium scale composition and get some help to determine the best cleaning agent to dissolve that contamination.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #9

08/10/2009 12:19 PM

Yes, agreed. I am waiting for the scale analysis.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 103
In reply to #10

08/10/2009 1:00 PM
Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Active Contributor

08/10/2009 12:20 PM

Thanks a lot for so many links...!!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/19/2009 5:47 PM

Acetic acid would be probably a good choice.But remember: Do not scratch the surface of the stainless steel while it is immersed in acid.It will eat right through.SS relies on Chromium Oxide to protect it from corrosion.If the film is removed, and it is immersed in acid before it "heals" it will have a very high corrosion rate.

I have seen 8 inch ss pipes with holes eaten thru by acid, because a loose piece (nut) of machinery bounced around inside it while it contained acid.

Good Luck

EZStreet

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #13

08/19/2009 5:52 PM

PS:

I forgot to answer your original question:The corrosion rate for Sulphuric acid on 316 SS is greater than .020" per year.Acetic acid is less than .005" per year.

EZStreet

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (5); flynnstar (1); phoenix911 (1); RVZ717 (1); sb (2); sharadmandale (3)

Previous in Forum: Pump Sizing   Next in Forum: Stain and Sealers for an Outdoor Slate Patio

Advertisement