Previous in Forum: Bottle Jack Primer   Next in Forum: Hardened Sodium Silica in Car Engines
Close
Close
Close
40 comments
Active Contributor

Ford Explorer - Balding Rear Tires

08/20/2009 1:31 AM

HI, I wonder if anyone knows about this. I have taken it to the mechanic and they had it for three days and they can't find anything mechanicly wrong with it. They guy at the tire store says there is something wrong with the car and won't take there word for it. The tire guy say's that I have to take the car to nelsons shop and if they say nothing is wrong then he will give me my tires (I have a warranty). I know the tires are over inflated. I have only had the tires for about four months. I feel stuck. OH, my dad is Jerry Hathaway of SM World. He's great. I live in spokane wa. or believe me I would take it to him. So, does anyone have anything to help? Please! Thank you, summerrory (michelle).

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: bald tires explorer Ford help
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Australia - Member - Igor...pull the switch!!!

Good Answers: 11

Re: Ford Explorer Help Balding rear tires.

08/20/2009 3:20 AM

you will need to describe /draw/photograph the wear pattern before any help I could offer

In reply to #1

08/21/2009 4:55 AM

Hi, this is michelle (summerrory), with the 1994 ford explorer xlt that has rear fast balding tires. The driver side rear tire balded mostly on the middle of the tire all the way around , while the passenger rear side tire balded on the inside of the tire (completly bald). I purchased the set of 4 tires brand new (I even upgraded) only about 3-4 months ago. Does this help any, so you can maybe help me? Thank you, Summerrory.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

08/21/2009 5:36 AM

Hi, This is Summerrory and I just want to say Thank you to all the help you all have gave me. It does'nt really matter what the mechanic of the guy from tire store says because if he says something is wrong mechanically wrong, I will walk away, go buy some tires and check pressure often. If he does happen to say it's ok, then I'll get my tires. Then I switch tire stores for putting me through the mechanic thing. I'll let you know what happens, ok. Thanks again

Register to Reply
Power-User
Australia - Member - Igor...pull the switch!!!

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #5

08/24/2009 7:55 PM

Always check wheel nuts and tyre pressure yourself after getting new ones fitted and inflate to correct pressure based on the load you are carying...and happy to see issue resolved to your satisfaction

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

Re: Ford Explorer Help Balding Rear Tires

08/20/2009 1:06 PM

Generally maintaining a correct tire inflation pressure is the vehicle operators responsibility...the warranty will most likely not provide coverage to mitigate an error of an operator.

In reply to #2

08/21/2009 5:21 AM

Well since I just bought the set only 3-4 months prior I did'nt feel that I needed to check them. I trusted the tire store to much. When I drove out of there that day is how they still are. I take my suv to there mechanic on monday at 2:30, I am to curious as to what they will say. Although, when I spoke to there mechanic he tried to tell me I need some kind of kit. (over the phone!) I called my mechanic and they said that it did'nt pertain to my vechile. Thanks much summerrory. P.S. I'm curious, do you check you air level every time you get gas? And run home to check the air level right you have them put on?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

08/21/2009 8:44 AM

However, 4 months should not be sufficient to "bald" (wear all tread off) tires unless (in addition to severe over inflation) the tires are carrying excessive loading (and perhaps a trailer, too) (are you living in the explorer?)...or are being smoked by a heavy foot on the pedal; or are being dragged (think, parking brake engaged or malfunctioning such that rear wheels are grabbing and releasing).

I would suggest that many brake mechanics checking a problem such as this might be prone to overlook parking brake (components) function, wear, and adjustment -- more than once I've had to take a car back after a brake job because the parking brakes were overlooked.

So, if I may hazard a guess: it would seem most likely that the tire guy is gonna win this one...if for no other reason than that the alleged defect is occurring in the two driven tires (both of them!) but not in the steered tires...which, presumably are inflated same as in the rear.

But good luck with it anyway. You did not say where you purchased the tires (or what brand); but one idea might be to take the tires to another (same brand) dealer to see what satisfaction....etc. I have seen it where national franchise dealer (America's Tires, ...) will replace a questionable tire (with or without tread wear allowance) merely because they wish to capture you as a repeat customer. (You would be looking for a place where tire dealers are fairly close together and have an incentive to keep you from going "up the street" to replace the tires.

UG

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Ford Explorer - Balding Rear Tires

08/20/2009 7:10 PM

"I know the tires are over inflated." Did you over inflate them? Why? How much pressure?

If they are worn out in the middle after 4 months, you must have really pumped them up.

Some answers and a picture, please.

Register to Reply
Guru
Brazil - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - Hey there... interested in exchanging information about car performance? Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil 30deg01'39.73"S 51deg13'43.45"W
Good Answers: 28

08/20/2009 8:00 PM

Yep. Quite simple. Wear in the middle of the band agrees with the finding of overinflating the tire. Causes an increase in the contact tension in the middle of the tire and excess wear.

If you're still curious and do not believe us, check out some information at http://www.carbibles.com/tire_bible_pg2.html (there's a title called "diagnosing problems from tire wear") and then get back here if you're still lacking some information.

BTW, why for the love of God did you run your truck with overinflated tires? If all else fails, read the manual! (this is an old rule in aviation... ).

In reply to #4

08/21/2009 5:27 AM

Ask The Tire store why they let me drive out of there like that. And the Passenger rear tire is worn on the inside, not middle. The driverside is worn out in the middle. And I totally believe it. It's the one guy at the tire store, I have thought he is a manager but he might not even be. Tomorrow I'll make sure I speak to the other guy who knows me and is a definate manager. If the guy I've been dealing with isn't a manager, I'll crawl under a rock. Thanks, summerrory

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

08/24/2009 7:47 PM

Well well, I called the main manager at the store and spoke to him, he told me to bring in my vehicle and he would look at the tires and give me a second opinion. So I did. Immediatly after he saw the tire still on my suv (driver side rear) he said, TIRE DEFECT!!!!!!! The passenger rear tire was in back of my rig, he looked at it and there was a screw in it causing low tire pressure. So He is replacing the defective tire and I am replacing the one with a screw in it. He is also replacing the tire on my son's suv that had a blow-out when I was driving it. Thank-you Everyone who helped I really appreciate it. Summerrory.

Register to Reply

In reply to #33

08/24/2009 7:58 PM

Do not forget the Nitrogen, you can get it filled at costco if you have one around you

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

08/21/2009 7:28 AM

There is "over" inflation and "over" inflation.

If you run say 40lbs. pressure instead of 35, it just extends the life of the tire and makes the ride a bit harder.

But if you run say 60lbs of pressure, you will most probably wear the tires in the middle......

"Normally" inflated tires run hotter as they "work". On a hot day with the vehicle extra heavily loaded, you can get a tire to explode......which is why I always use the fully loaded pressure......

I get much better tire and diesel mileage than all my friends and even on hot days, my tires run only luke warm, not hot......I check them relatively often with the back of my hand when I stop. Its far better test than a pressure gauge.....

I am sure this comment from will really get the "Crazies and the guests" going and jumping down my throat (metaphorically speaking!), but I stand by my comments after over 40 years good experience using it, after an (then!) old mechanic clued me up.....

Let them get the same amount of experience with no problems, using both cars, truck, trailers and caravans.....

In reply to #9

08/21/2009 9:25 AM

We crazies & guests don't need to jump down your throat, you did such a great job cutting it in halves yourself with such a comment.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #13

08/21/2009 9:37 AM

Can you explain yourself better please?

You made no point that I could see.......or was that THE point, there was none?

You just interrupted and forgot what you intended to say maybe?

Small children often do that when visitors are seemingly taking up too much of Mummie's time.....

Please have a nice pointless day anyway.

In reply to #15

08/21/2009 9:48 AM

Have no time to explain better myself, (busy visiting someone's mummie ).

Don't leave your toys at the front yard when I'm gone.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

08/21/2009 9:52 AM

Thats up to you, we cremated her some years ago, but you can have the ashes if thats what gets your rocks off....... She'll appreciate your efforts in that direction I am sure......

In reply to #18

08/21/2009 10:05 AM

Wow ! You're a serious case. I don't even know if you're pissed off or just amused.

What else can I say? er.. do I have to take my own urn ?.

Man you made me laugh real loud this time and I thank you for that.

Have real good day.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

08/21/2009 10:18 AM

I thought that my comment would get you "Tooting" again, as your chain is very easy to find and rattle....

May I suggest that you take a little more time to "aim" your comment better as you are seemingly almost useless in "shooting from the hip!"

Lets see what you do this time!

In reply to #22

08/21/2009 10:21 AM

I DIG the picture Big Time, do you mind if I copy it? I can think of several other people I need to send it to!!!

Have a great day.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

08/21/2009 10:24 AM

Be my Guest! (Oh! I am REALLY funny today!!!!)

Seriously, copy and do with it what you will, thats what I did in the first place as well, but I have no idea where I first saw it ......

In reply to #24

08/21/2009 10:49 AM

You surely saw it as a reply to one of your posts, HA HA HA !!

(Or at least you should have).

Why don't you change your avatar for it ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

08/21/2009 12:29 PM

I seem to be able to rattle your chain even when the guest I am replying to (at least) appears to be at worse, your schizophrenic other half!! Or maybe someone quite different (more likely)...

I must admit I do prefer usually a more difficult problem to deal with, you are seemingly so simple to annoy (even without trying or addressing you directly) that I fear for your general mental stability in this case.....do continue to take the prescribed medicine please.

I must also ask:-

"As a complete outsider, what do you think about the human race in general?"

Please try to reply in an amusing non childish (for us all here) manner!! Its much more attractive and far more fun for both you and us!!

Have a great day in spite of my (usually unintended) annoyances to you personally.

We are all aiting on a really great and amusing reply from you......

In reply to #28

08/21/2009 12:50 PM

Hey Andy, please, please believe, its not me replying in that childish manner, really......

I am someone else who wants to remain anonymous, but who likes reading yours and other CR4 member's posts.

I am not that guest who just makes stupid comments and attacks people for no logical reason.

(I have also made a few stupid comments when I was young, but not on CR4 and not so inane as these are either.

He appears to be almost deranged in his attitude to any/all of your comments. I believe I have seen him (impossible to be certain) haranging other people`s posts as well, certainly the interlectual level (for want of a better word!) appears to be similar.

I know it appears that we are one and the same person when posting as guests, a "split personality" as you already mentioned, but there is little I can do about that. I expect that the tone of our posts will differentiate us quite well though, don't you agree?

I do expect him to eventually get fed up with always getting the short straw at some point in the future and go and look elsewhere for an easier target than either you or the rest of CR4 are. Then we are rid of him for a time at least.

Bad mannered Trolls appear on all and any blogs, one just has to accept that and wait till another pretty toy somewhere else attracts them more.....

Have a great day Andy and all the rest of you fantastic CR4 people. Don`t lose the faith!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #28

08/25/2009 10:28 AM

For someone who talks about schizophrenics and mental disease you surley must have some experience in being just that! You also must be on some meds because a normal person not on meds would probably not even think of something like that. The human race is very scattered with different people, the good, bad and the UGLY! I happen to know alot of good people and I just pray for the others. Summerrory.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #37

08/25/2009 10:50 AM

Andy was a fine well adjusted young man when he first posted on CR4. This site has been linked to some side effects, Most of which you have already mentioned. Also related is rash, swelling, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, shortness of breath, rage, insomnia, flaky skin, redness of the eyes, loss of memory, loss of meals, loss of marriages, loss of weight, loss of caring, irritation, irritation around injection site, numbness, euphoria, lazynes, drunkenness, carpel tunnel syndrome, and redundency again. Symtems lasting longer than 4 hours require immediate medical attention.

Conditions may, or may not be covered by health plans.

In reply to #37

08/25/2009 10:52 AM

I guess you were the "mystery guest" then.........wow!!

In reply to #9

08/21/2009 9:33 AM

"my tires run only luke warm, not hot". That's because a diesel vehicle doesn't heat up the tires as much as a gasoline vehicle. For this I'm giving the same explanation you posted:

An old mechanic clued me up.

Yahlasit

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #14

08/21/2009 9:49 AM

Sorry, but this must rate as the single most brainless, un thought out and stupid comment ever posted on CR4:-

That's because a diesel vehicle doesn't heat up the tires as much as a gasoline vehicle.

Ask yourself what effect does the fuel have on the load on and the pressure in a tire????

Ask ANY truck driver around with a Diesel engine as to how hot his tires can get!!

The pressure is lost slightly (slow puncture for example) for some reason and the next thing they explode all over the road.

I have seen this happen on Interstates many, many times. I have also followed trucks with smoking tires (just before they explode!). They make quite big bangs when they explode too......

You are obviously NOT a good Engineer, nor will you ever be.

Probably never was an Engineer at all when I think about it.

Its not even the slightest bit funny even if you meant it jokey wise.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #17

08/21/2009 9:56 AM

Yes that post is all that you said, and is clearly intended to piss you off and it sufficed at it.

Have an accordingly day

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

08/21/2009 9:59 AM

Well put. I would have been a little blunter/ruder probably, because it was so idiotic as you said, but you said it well enough for me, thanks. GA.

I have also seen such bits and pieces of them on the Motorways and Autobahns here.

Though I have not actually seen a lorry tyre explode, but seen the results often enough! (as probably any driver with a few years experience and knowledge has I am sure....)

Have a great day in spite of some "other" Guests.....

Good Answers: 1

08/21/2009 7:47 AM

Is this an older Explorer with a straight axle? They had problems with drivers side tires, the Firestone Wilderness tire is famous for having failure at this position. Something about axle "windup" due to the one peice Explorer body being placed on a Ranger frame that was designed for a two peice body (cab and bed) that allowed flex to transfer to the rear axle. See lawsuit details for more info.

P.S. I would sell that truck before it rolls over!

08/21/2009 9:10 AM

Did your old tires wear like this? I would think there was some indication of a problem with the vehicle based on the wear on the old tires. If there was atypical wear on the old tires I would think the tire store would point it out to you to get fixed before you mess up your new tires.

It seems to me there is a problem with the new tires or the tire store messed something up when they put the new tires on.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #12

08/25/2009 10:35 AM

Your right, it was tire defect in one of them and the other had a screw in it so it caused low tire pressure which caused balding on the inside of it. Thank you, summerrory.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

08/21/2009 11:12 AM

Assuming the tires are as they should be, i.e. correctly made;
it becomes reasonable to assume there is a fault with the alignment.

Over inflation is possible and likely for the one, not likely for the other.
More likely, I would suspect, is the rims are distorted; which can happen,
usually by a kerb hit or similar, and since it's to both, possibly a rollover.

Has the car been driven by others? Has it been written for an accident?

I would ask a good tyre outfit to check the wheels first, for their alignment
and balance, and if they are alright; ask them to check the tracking, and
finally the axle and hub plate alignment.

It maybe they were originally the front wheels, and have been moved
around the car. I actual know a case where the wheels off another car
were substituted for the originals, when the car was in for servicing!

Hope this helps.

jt.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #26

08/25/2009 10:03 AM

Yes, you are right. I called the main manager last thursday, he said to bring in the vehicle and he would give me a second opion. (The assistant mngr looked first, he's the one who kept insisting that it was mechanical) So I took my suv in. Right when the mngr. looked at the driver rear he said "that tire is defective". He then looked at the passenger rear, it was off the vechile because it wouldnt hold air anymore. Anyways, the passenger side had a screw in it and when it was on the suv it was leaking air and causing low tire pressure and thats what caused the wearing of the inside of that tire. Thank you, summerrory

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/21/2009 11:50 AM

I have a feeling a heavy foot is to blame. 25 years ago I burned a 1/2 worn out set of tires in one night on a 1967 Olds Cutlass. The inspection was going to expire at midnight and with a rusted out frame I wanted to use up the tires!

Register to Reply

In reply to #27

08/22/2009 3:58 AM

Michelle, What ever the outcome is with your tires, Once you sort it out, on your next set, fill them with nitrogen, I did so on one of my vehicles a Ford 250 which ride was very bumpy when empty, fully loaded very smooth. I could not believe the difference with the nitrogen instead of air, I also believe it will have an implication with tire/tread longevity.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

08/22/2009 2:29 AM

summerrory:

This may be redundant (haven't read all your responses) but I suggest you look real carfully at your rear suspension--if the axle is "racking" on acceleration or you have uneven braking at the rear axle which can cause "racking" when stopping, the suspension problem will cause major tire wear. When I say "racking" I mean the rear axle is "twisting" out of alignment with the front axles under these conditions. With you stopped you may not see the "racked" condition , but many times a person following you can see the vehicles' rear axle rack under hard acelleration causing the vehicle to look like it's tracking "sideways" (I'm shure you've followed someone whose car looks like it's "tracking" at an angle going down the road. This condition is caused by the right rear wheel, being the predominant "drive" wheel putting wear and strain on the right rear suspension--expecially if you like to get "off the line" quick.

Let me know what you find.

Donzi

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

08/24/2009 10:59 AM

Are you towing a trailer that may be overloading the rear tires? If the repair facilities are not seeing the trailer, they may not think of that problem.

If there is no trailer, check balance, and have a four wheel alignment preformed.

The people that may have to pay for the replacement of your tires will come up with as many excuses to "pass the buck" as it takes for you to get disgusted and just but new tires. A person that has been selling and maintaining tires for any length of time should be able to give you a reason for the tire wear from the type of tire wear. Tow in or tow out will cause feather edging. Camber out of specification will wear inside or outside edges of a tire with little feather edging. Over or under inflating will wear center grooves or outer edges. Loose suspension parts tend to leave tires cupped in places. If you have to take your car to a few tire shops and get an explanation as to why the tires are wearing that way. After about six trys there should be one answer that starts to repeat more often than all the rest. That is probably what is wrong with your truck. Good luck.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (8); Anonymous Poster (12); bhrescobar (1); bob c (2); bwire (1); CraziestOzzy (2); Dave864two (1); donzi (1); Dr. Ozone (1); jt (1); lyn (1); Nano-Oil.com (2); summerrory (7)

Previous in Forum: Bottle Jack Primer   Next in Forum: Hardened Sodium Silica in Car Engines

Advertisement