Previous in Forum: flare line study   Next in Forum: Painting for Hot Surface 90 Degree Celcius
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Active Contributor

Universal Color for HVAC High Pressure System

08/27/2009 1:51 PM

I need to know what color is used to identify a high pressure HVAC system. I mean, there are color-coding for almost anything, like green for safety, red for danger and emergency, yellow for caution, etc.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Color Coding
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

Re: Universal Color for HVAC High Pressure System

08/27/2009 6:47 PM

What do you mean by "high pressure" as applied to HVAC systems? You are referring to heating, ventilating and air conditioning right??

In reply to #1

08/27/2009 6:55 PM

Yes, I am referring to heating, ventilating and air-conditioning. I am not familiar with this topic and I've tried to google it but can't find the answer I need. You see, I am referring to the piping system. How will I be able to identify the pipes/ high pressure from other piping system, is there color-coding for HVAC system? thanks.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Hobbies - Fishing - Hobbies - Musician -

Good Answers: 19

08/27/2009 7:54 PM

What kind of piping? Refrigerant, chilled water, condenser water, hot water/steam? Refrigerant piping can be high pressure, but unless you are pumping extremely long distances or heights, chilled water is not usually very high pressure. Refrigerant, chilled water and hot water piping will typically be insulated, and should be identified on the outside of the insulation with system labels and flow direction arrows per code requirements. I don't recall that there are color requirements for these labels, but you might check your local codes to see if there may be some specific requirements.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

08/27/2009 8:09 PM

thank you, I think we're getting there, what I need to know is if there is universal color coding for refrigerant, condenser water, hot water/steam, etc. If there is, I want to know.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

08/27/2009 8:23 PM

No there is not a universal one. There are some companies that have made up their own codes for clarity. But as far as I know there is not a universal color code for HVAC sytems.

Hope this helps

Register to Reply

In reply to #5

08/28/2009 3:23 AM

In my company we are using SKY BLUE.....

But there is no universal code for coloring.... we are doing based on paintings available in plant.....

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 19

08/28/2009 9:07 AM

Check with Seton or Brady for pipe label information. http://www.bradyid.com/ There is an ANSI standard some facilities follow for color, size, and location of markers; other facilities have their own custom color coding and markings. There are also NFPA standards for medical gas pipe markings.

Power-User

Good Answers: 18

08/28/2009 2:20 PM

We use a standardized "master specification" library as the basis from which to create bidding documents all commercial construction projects.

In the HVAC Piping Identification Section (230553) we reference the ASME A13.1 - Scheme for the Identification of Piping Systems. The newest one (2007) is available here: http://catalog.asme.org/Codes/PrintBook/A131_2007_Scheme.cfm

We also typically use the products from "Seton" as our 'design base' for product equals, and they follow this color, size, and identification scheme for the basics you mention.

Whenever a piping system has zones, multiple branches, or loops that need to be further identified, we will create what we hope is a simple color-banding schedule and have that posted in the central mechanical room, and require that banding to be used on each side of each wall/floor/ceiling penetration.

United States - Member - US Navy Veteran

Location: Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Good Answers: 22

08/28/2009 3:11 PM

Sandman nailed it but you can look around here for info as well.

http://www.ashrae.org/

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); dac1267 (1); heatexindia (1); markar (1); Ried (1); ronseto (1); Sandman (1); Sinia (2)

Previous in Forum: flare line study   Next in Forum: Painting for Hot Surface 90 Degree Celcius
You might be interested in: HVAC Services, HVAC Controllers, Color Sensors

Advertisement