Previous in Forum: DC-DC Converter: 12VDC to 250VDC 25ma   Next in Forum: Power Surge, Noise and Harmonics
Close
Close
Close
7 comments

Residential Energy Meters in India

09/02/2009 10:11 AM

Hello

I have a question about Energy meters for Residential consumers. In the past Electro mechanical Energy meters were used and reading were taken physically by a reader.Now those meters are replaced by Electronic e- meters and readings are taken by handheld computers. Does anybody know roughly in which year this transformation has occured in India?

Thankyou

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 13

Re: Residential Energy Meters in India

09/03/2009 1:37 AM

Answer depends on which State electricity board since it falls with in its jurisdiction.

Bangalore Electricity Supply Company launched hand-held computers to generate monthly power bills effective Jan 2004, where as state of Madhya Pradesh is currently in the process of implementing spot billing technology.

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

09/03/2009 4:10 PM

Thank you ver much for the information.

Actually I searched for that information in google but I find for other countries I didn't get information about India and I dont' know any site to search for such type of inform. so finally I left my question here.

you said that Banglore started using handheld device for energy measuring.Is it the first place in India using that device? Does they start using Automatic meter reading(AMR) also ?

Thank you

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #2

09/03/2009 9:57 PM

In Spot Billing following steps are followed,

# Hand-held computer is pre loaded with a set of records / information based on which the meter data needs to be collected. This includes parameters like consumer Number, House Number, Meter number, Previous Reading etc.
# The meter reader moves around collecting the required data. He can enter the current reading and generate Bills on spot and give it to consumers.
# At the end of the day, the meter reader downloads the data into a Computer, where the master data base gets updated.
# Using the updated data base, the Computer can generate the various MIS reports as asked by the Distribution companies

www.bcits.co.in refers.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

09/05/2009 9:48 AM

The quick and dirty answer... it's technology and supply determined. Since the technology (for radio read [self reporting] and scannable meters) is recent, it is safe to generalize: that all mechanical meters that have been replaced were replaced as part of recent, some still ongoing, emeter programs. There can be not year "in which this transition has occurred" because the transition in all localities worldwide, for the greater part, has not finished occurring and is still in progress.

It would seem that your question might pertain so some sort of dispute or legal/administrative matter. Are you free to state your "issue" in that regard??

Register to Reply

In reply to #4

09/05/2009 11:35 AM

Hello

Thank you for ur reply

I am not related to any legal issues. I am doing my college project. so I want to know more about latest information in energy meters.

Thank you

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

09/09/2009 7:48 AM

I can't really speak to "transformation(s)" in India, other than to say that here (USA states and local jurisdictions), conversion programs are a matter of local (mostly county-/city-/district-level) concern and jurisdiction. There would by little or no reason for any interest (thus for any statistics records keeping) of local billing issues (after all, it's billing that metering is all about) at a nationwide level. So any nationwide-collective study of conversion program progress would by highly impractical due to its being largely irrelevant...yielding only the most generalized (and probably not very accurate) results. Now, where vending of metered service is a national government function (that wouldn't include India, would it?) the story might be different...but I still suspect it would be quite difficult, if not impossible, to come by national statistics you seek.

Yours would seem to be a college project that will yield best to actual, face-to-face interviews with concerned parties at several utilities. Those are the people who can provide answers and steer you in the right direction to find answers about various systems in use. Seeking info of this kind via the internet is apt to prove far too time consuming...and time spent largely in vain. Try going directly to the source(s).

Good luck with it.

Register to Reply

In reply to #6

09/09/2009 10:05 AM

hello

Thank you for your suggestion.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); krishnan.ng (2); sowji (3)

Previous in Forum: DC-DC Converter: 12VDC to 250VDC 25ma   Next in Forum: Power Surge, Noise and Harmonics

Advertisement