Previous in Forum: Press Brake   Next in Forum: How to Make Double Dovetail Joints
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Commentator

Technology for the Rich and Famous: Anti-Paparazzi Shield

09/22/2009 11:07 AM

Barring winning the lottery or discovering oil fields under my house, I will probably never be rich and famous enough to need one of these: anti-paparazzi "shields". I will be checking to see how lasers affect paparazzi's pictures in Star Magazine once they catch on among the Glitterati.

I always say give me fame and fortune, but hold the fame.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 87

Re: Technology for the Rich and Famous: Anti-Paparazzi “shield”

09/22/2009 11:46 AM

"Infrared lasers detect the electronic light sensors in nearby cameras, known as charge-coupled devices."

I smell BS. Anyone care to speculate how this would work?

Also, only two swimming pools? Come on.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #1

09/22/2009 3:01 PM

I agree, sounds very fishy. The detection method as described does not make any sense. An IR laser hitting a CCD camera could blind it, but what happens when this laser hits a retina? Owner may need all his remaining money for the lawsuits. Even if this system existed as described, it would be easily nullified by any old film camera or a good IR filter.

As for privacy, if they DON'T want people to see what (or who) they are doing, then they should go INSIDE and close the curtains!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 182
In reply to #1

09/22/2009 3:12 PM

Sensors on bord detect the IR from the cameras (used for focus setting). This gives the position of the camera (by triangulation most probably) and allows a laser to send a low power IR ray direction lens or even a visible light ray which will disturb enough the camera's sensor (which is a charge coupled device among others). The ray has to be low power with respect to the eye sensitivity limits but powerful enough to harm the recorded image and make it not usable.

It seems to me feasible although risky, existing technology will allow it but I do not know how it could work at ranges as big as the telelenses work today.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Technology for the Rich and Famous: Anti-Paparazzi Shield

09/22/2009 3:29 PM

A quick google and patent search did not produce any results. With very little information (the main source seems to be the Times article written by a reporter based on marketing and PR information)

It could be a variant of the one below (except with a low-energy, non-visible wide angle infrared pulse or strobe to prevent the digital pictures from coming out in focus).

http://www.gizmag.com/anti-paprazzi-clutch-bag/12169/

I fail to see how it would detect and stop an SLR camera equipped with a zoom lens taking pictures from far away however.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119

09/22/2009 4:09 PM

I suspected the ship board detection/aiming system might try to use the auto focus IR emitted from most digital cameras. On my digital camera, longer range photos (beyond several meters) don't need or use the IR auto focus.

Wonderful idea from the gizmag link.

I've had friends and family wedding photos ruined by overlapping flashes. The slave flash seems an easy and safe defense for those annoying "night ambushes".

However, daytime ambush photos don't use a flash so both system have limited capabilities.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

09/22/2009 11:57 PM

Clip a strobe flash to your lapel set at 7 cycles per/second for a sustained burst. A 9-volt battery will suffice for power use and inline lamp switch, works on arrogant schmucks day or night too.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 36

09/23/2009 4:23 AM

A few years ago I read of a similar system for installation in cinemas to prevent pirating of films. This detected the characteristic IR reflections from a CCD and used a low power IR laser targeted on the CCD to temporarily blind the camera.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #7

09/23/2009 10:49 AM

Using a wide difuse beam or set of IR beams to scan the environment around the ship and detect CCD chips sounds like a good start. The old starwars system was using a difuse IR beam to locate and pinpoint the position of flying missiles at great speeds. The a colimated green beam to pinpoint and calculate missile speed and wind velocity/turbulances and finaly the acting high power beam to deactivate or assault the travelling missile.

A similar system could pinpoint the cameras asuming that there is a known reflective component in all cameras.

Once pinpointed there is no problem to target the lens specifically and avoid the photographer's eyes with a focussed higher power beam IR, visible or near visible.

In June I was reading about a device built by the Starwars system engineers that pinpointed male flies (or moskitos I cant remember) and as I remember castrated them, by ablating their reproductive tissues I assume. A bit too expensive for the average african, indian or indonesian suffering from malaria infested bug bites, but Abramovic wouldn't mind one on the boat. And if they can do that I'm sure they can blind a camera and castrate the camera man too if they need to!

Good Answers: 2

09/23/2009 7:00 AM

there is nothing like having a jar of old fashion grease less vanishing cream on hand

no batteries

and oh yea

a dash of sulfide perfume for up close whiffs

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bwire (1); Chankley (1); GlowStartled (1); jack of all trades (1); Johnny Flash (1); mjb1962853 (2); nick name (1); stevem (1)

Previous in Forum: Press Brake   Next in Forum: How to Make Double Dovetail Joints

Advertisement