Previous in Forum: Bugs and medicine   Next in Forum: DNA testing.
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

The Swine Flu Near You and Catch 22

10/30/2009 2:44 PM

I just learned from a friend who lives in a nearby community that the doctor's office is not seeing any "well" children today because of H1NI. I'm not sure if the problem is that the doctor's office is swamped with swine flu patients, or if the health care providers don't want to risk exposing healthy children to ones who are already ill.

The Catch 22 here is that the purpose of the "well" visit was to get my friend's healthy child vaccinated against H1N1.

Have CR4ers in other parts of the world encountered such a scenario (yet)?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: H1N1 swine flu vaccinations vaccines
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: The Swine Flu Near You and Catch 22

10/30/2009 3:28 PM

In a visit to the doctor with in the past week there where allot of patients wearing masks in the waiting area. Some because they were sick with the flu and just trying to prevent passing it on. The doctors office is even providing the masks in the lobby upon entry and request if you are sick to wear them. Others who were not just didn't want to catch it.

While in a room for patients they had flyers on what you should know and how help you not spread the H1N1 virus. What was ironic two of the five paragraphs mainly said stay away from sick people.

To answer yes as i saw it they are being swamp with patients. I believe people with any symptom of just a cold are showing up to have it checked out. Yes you maybe right as it being a Catch 22 situation. In how do doctors turn away patients that are sick that may really need their care. To see other that are not sick to administer vaccinations to prevent them from get sick.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #1

10/30/2009 5:37 PM

Swine flu vaccines are in short supply. When calling for a "Well-Baby" visit its best to ask if they even have the H1N1 vaccine. You might check the Public Health Dept or other sources like hospital outpatient clinics if they have the vaccine. I feel your dismay about the Catch-22.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 87

10/30/2009 8:55 PM

We have massive H1N1 paranoia here in South East Asia. I was on a train a couple weeks ago returning from a trip to Oman, and not having been home for a bit the flower pollen in the air got to me and I let go with a very large sneeze.

People all over the train scrambled to get their masks on, and even changed seats to move away from me. It was hilarious. And all for a itchy nose sneeze....

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #3

11/01/2009 5:44 AM

this guy who survived the swine flu didn't have to sneeze. he just got on the train and everyone leapt out.

Good Answers: 5

11/02/2009 8:51 AM

Well my family got "Swine Flued" My oldest 11 came down with flu symptoms Thursday night, Friday night around midnight my youngest 5 and then in the morning my middle boy 9 woke up with it. Very high temperatures 104.5, head and body aches, some dizziness. No vomiting or diearreah. Last night we ended going to the hostpital as we couldn't get the youngest's temp lower than 103.5. They do not test to verify that what they have was N1H1 but he said that these were the symptoms and many others in the area had similar symptoms. So he said that yes that is what they have. He perscribed "Tamaflu" for all of us and was surprised that my wife and I hadn't got it yet but was sure that we will soon enough so we got the tamaflu also.

So far so good, just tired from lack of sleep.

We wore the masks in the hostpital, used hand sanitizers and fortuanalty due timing we were the only patients, went straight in!

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #5

11/02/2009 9:53 AM

I would have been concerned with the high temperatures too, especially reaching 104.5. I remember an event vaguely when I was very young (6 or 7) and we were visiting relatives in Germany. One of my young cousins started a temperature one night that shot to 105, and looked like it was climbing. The parents didn't know what to do so my mom, who didn't speak German, took charge and prepared an ice bath and got his temp down. I remember the sobbing and screaming in the middle of the night.

In reply to #7

11/02/2009 10:01 AM

Yeah it is so hard on the little kids, they don't know what's going on and there is so little a parent can do aside from Tylenol and cold compress.

11/02/2009 9:42 AM

In one Northern Ontario city the radio announcements are saying that the local hospital is swamped and the health unit is saying if you are experiencing the symptoms of H1N1 then stay home and treat it as you would normally treat the flu. They only ones that should be cautious are those with compromised immune systems. The government did administer free vaccines last week at one particular announced location and there were a couple thousand who showed up.

In reply to #6

11/02/2009 9:58 AM

My wife called the hospital and they told us to come even though we were doing well controlling it at home, (we had no intentions on going and the older two were showing signs of improvement) They were concerned about our youngest.

I think the area you are mentioning was North Bay.

In reply to #8

11/02/2009 10:03 AM

and Sudbury

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Dr Tom (1); langyaw (1); ozzb (1); Part time thinker (3); Steve S. (1); TeslaFan (3)

Previous in Forum: Bugs and medicine   Next in Forum: DNA testing.
You might be interested in: Office Suite Software

Advertisement