Previous in Forum: Aerodynamics Measurement Criteria   Next in Forum: Oil Purifier Project
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

Bird Control

01/07/2007 2:09 AM

Looking for specific equipment. Laser with random on/off and multiple white light beams to a distance of 300-400ft. Needs to run off a rechargeable 12volt car battery which is recharged by a 20-30 watt solar panel. This unit will need a timer for on/off. Can anything out there be put together that will come close to this? Thanks drld51

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: bird control lasers
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45

Re: Bird control

01/07/2007 10:08 AM

Oh yes there are plenty of things 'out there' that can do what you state...

Unfortunately it may not do what you want or need it to do... a random laser... would that be a semiconductor laser? infrared, visible, what power?

Whits light beams... to a distance of 300-400 feet.... a very small bulb can be seen at that distance, so what illumination would you require?

John.

In reply to #1

01/07/2007 12:48 PM

thanks for the reply. I am putting this together and I am not quite sure of power as long as I can get max. power using a car battery, as there is no ac near by. I think visible would be preference, some thing like what you see at concerts. I would have to experiment as the laser lights would have to be focused up to the tree tops where the birds roost at night. The random light would keep them out of the trees near the property line. It may be possible that infrared may work? thanks drld51

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #2

01/07/2007 11:51 PM

There was a military application a few years ago that sshone a low intensity laser at all points in a raster scanned sphere. When it detected a retroreflection of an optic or an eye is increased the output to startle, dazzle or blind. It was banned by treaty as unhumane, however if operated at the startle level it would make the birds move on. You would have to find the source for it.

Of course, you can startle at all times, and if you use an ultraviolet laser it will not be seen by people, but most birds see into the UV. I am not sure of their IR limits. IR laseres are a lot cheaper, and you can even use IR searchlights, as people cannot see them. No laser = no risk.

Re: Bird Control

01/08/2007 1:32 AM

Solar self powered startle lights, red LED, visible range are readily available at $25 each. Marketed for startling deer, rodents, racoons, opossums, etc one should recall that "startle" is only effective an initial limited duration startle window. After the training period, the startle affect is no longer effective.

Constantly moving and/or relocating the light source has shown limited success.

Birds are rather more difficult to manage. Audible noise, inaudible noise, predator noise, shotgun blasts, etc are all limited in success rate. Before investing too much time and resources, please be advised to consult with a "bird remedial" expert that can recommend approved methods for the specific locality.

Register to Reply

In reply to #4

01/08/2007 2:14 AM

Hi, this is an interesting problem. We have a huge problem with birds nesting and defecating on stock in warehouses in South Africa (mainly pigeons). Here's a list of things that we have tried and had no success with.

1) Flockoff - A plastic spike to prevent birds landing on the beams - result - the birds used the spikes for building secure nests!

2) Sonic waves - result - unaffective, and at frequencies where they may have worked, then they were harmful to workers.

3) Introduction of birds of prey pictures and kites. - Result - ok for a day or two and then they were ignored - and then attacked by packs of birds!

4) Bird nets across the warehouse roof (22000 m2) - Result - the birds became entangled and died - after a while the dead birds caused a health problem and could not be retrieved because of the nets!

5) Breeding of owls at the site to nest permantly in the warehouse - result - the owls didn't like all the activity and pushed off after the first day!

6) lasers lights - May be harmful to workers, so they were ruled out.

To date we have had no positive or meaningful results - CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP?

Allan - Cape Town, South Africa

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

01/08/2007 2:38 AM

Helo, my name is Jan Svensson running a Pest Control Company "Equs AB" in Sweden with experience of actually all the problems you describe in Bird control. I would recommend you to contact our supplier in the UK regarding this. Scarecrow Bio-acoustic Systems Ltd. www.scarecrowbio-acoustic.co.uk has a braod experience in acoustic repellence by the birds own "distresscalls".

Try them, we have very good experience of a good result by using this kind of equipment.

Regards.

Jan

Register to Reply

In reply to #6

01/08/2007 5:28 AM

Thanks Jan, I'll give them a go. Is the bird call option long lasting? One tends to find that the birds figure out the ruse and then just go about their business again. Also bear in mind that there is a fair amount of background noise with forklifts and trucks, will the sonic calls still be effective?

Thanks Allan

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #5

01/08/2007 5:12 AM

How about a team of marksmen, using air rifles to avoid damage to building and stock? A bonus is the proceeds from the sale of dead pigeons!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

01/08/2007 6:25 AM

Hi Allan,

This product is almost too good to be true. I have used it in place of spikes for reasons of decor and as you say, the smart pigeons build up the spikes with straw and other debris and nest on it- The product is called Tanglefoot- It's a clear gel in a tube- It can be found on the Internet under "Tanglefoot"- be sure to get the gel- there's also a Tanglefoot coloured strip that supposed to daze the little critters, but I sure dind't have any success with it- I had applied the Tanglefoot gel at various ledges, nooks etc. on a three story building and the pigeon would cease perching there and move on higher- we eventually reached the roof and the building owner requested I do it as well- I actually applied Tanglefoot gel on the roof ledge with the pigeons a few feet away- they would fly off and return and perch on the gel- The gel remains tacky for about two years- a small quantity of the gel seems to remains on the pigeons' feet and they don't return to the gel source. I think you'll be impressed and the product is well priced.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

01/08/2007 1:38 PM

Allan,

Nixalite of America Inc www.nixalite.com has a very comprehensive line of bird control products. They manufacture Nixalite premium Stainless steel bird spikes that are very effective for controlling all types of birds. Nixalite invented the first bird spike in 1950. The difference with Nixalite spikes is that there are 120 sharp points per foot and there no gaps for birds to get in unlike may other bird spikes available. The Nixalite spikes are made of all 316 marine grade stainless steel. You might also be interested in Fog Force witch is a bird repellent fog that teaches the birds not to return to the areas treated with the repellent. Check out Nixalite's website or give them a call (309) 755-8771.

Best of luck,

Cory

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/08/2007 7:16 AM

Poison corn work for sure. We use it at my workplace to control birds but they will not spread it on your property if you have children. May check state laws on it, I know california is tough on stuff like that.

Register to Reply

In reply to #10

01/26/2007 8:35 AM

Cory,

Thanks for the tip on the American bird spike system. I'll get in touch with them.

Allan

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

01/08/2007 8:15 AM

Best bet is to set up a couple robots in the upper areas of your warehouse. A flying robot, on a tether would actually help keep the birds from building nest and would keep them from staying around for any long periods of time. You can program it to fly and make a noise that would keep them from intruding.

Or you can do what we do most the time, just shoot them as they start to settle in the rafters. We have set up cat walks in most our big open buildings, and once a week the pest controller is inspecting the buildings for problem birds. They disposed of safely and the building workers go on with their routine.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/08/2007 9:00 AM

Orchard Farmers utilize fine mesh nets...to protect their fruit. might be worth a try.. without the wholesale slaughter..or the biohazards that some poisions could create....glue them down ? Q'uel concept !

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/08/2007 12:49 PM

See http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070108/ap_on_re_us/austin_shutdown . Al Queda may be able to help you out.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/25/2007 1:14 PM

Contact Willie Eckermans innoventek@telkomsa.net Fax: 0224612954 Cell: 0836606860 This system works by temporarily disorientating the bird in a manner that does not harm the bird. This system has been developed in conjunction with Cape Nature Conservation. This system is patented internationally. For more info, please contact me

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Allan (3); Anonymous Poster (7); aurizon (1); drld51 (1); Electroman (1); LordMaximo (1); Mogg (1); Pondman (1)

Previous in Forum: Aerodynamics Measurement Criteria   Next in Forum: Oil Purifier Project
You might be interested in: Counter and Timer Boards

Advertisement