Previous in Forum: One Engine VTOL Aircraft Design   Next in Forum: Brown Coal Dewatering -Overview Techmology-
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Participant

Alternative to foil film structures for food packaging

11/27/2009 12:08 AM

I have a dry food product that is currently packed in a PET/AL/PET/PE film structure that gives a 24 month shelf life. I'm looking for alternatives to bypass the foil layer for possible recycling implications.

Our current bag is PET/AL/PET/PE and I have an alternative film structure sample PET/OPP/CPE which the suppliers says will perform the same as foil as the OPP layer is metallized. When I submitted the sample to my packaging supplier they replied that the air proofing quality of the original bag (denoted by 2.9) was superior to that of the alternative PET/OPP/CPE sample (0.93). They also noted that the metallized OPP laminate would transmit light, and therefore I'm concerned about potential photodegradeablity of my product.

Is there an alternative to the PET/AL/PET/PE that gives good oxygen and CO2 barrier properties? I'm interesting in a product that can be recycled.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

Re: Alternative to foil film structures for food packaging

11/28/2009 8:30 AM

Assuming the numbers you quote represent the diffusion coefficient of gas through your packaging film, everything makes sense. I don't know of any flexible plastics that can come close to your AL layer for blocking gas diffusion. That's why they coat mylar balloons with aluminum. Photo-degradation may not be a major issue if your product spends most of its life in light tight containers.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

Re: Alternative to foil film structures for food packaging

11/30/2009 10:01 AM

Contact these guys, they probably can help you :

http://www.polynov.com/

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: One Engine VTOL Aircraft Design   Next in Forum: Brown Coal Dewatering -Overview Techmology-

Advertisement