Previous in Forum: Measure TI/MIG Power Output   Next in Forum: Running a Heat Lamp Down a Well Casing
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

How to Determine Phase Relationships for Unmarked Motor Leads

12/08/2009 1:21 PM

We have a 480V 12 lead motor with no wiring information. I can find the windings ok with my ohm meter but I'm not sure how to wire the windings for the right phase relationships. Does anyone have any advice?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Active Contributor

Re: How to Determine Phase Relationships for Unmarked Motor Leads

12/08/2009 9:26 PM

Do you have the info off the name plate? Make, H.P., F.L.A., frame size? If you could get me more info i might be able to help

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774

12/08/2009 9:52 PM

Usually motors have the lead numbers tagged or printed right onto the individual wires. If there is no wire number markings you may have to have a motor repair shop open it up and retrace each wire to its proper winding and then renumber them again.

Its possible to do a manual trace with a lower voltage AC source if you buzz each winding and then find its matching winding and relative phasing polarity relationship.

Normally motors that are 12 lead are dual or multi voltage types that have each pair of windings for each phase together in the core so if you find one set that has a very close voltage match to the source thats most likely the right one.

Then move to another set and do the same until you have three sets that have matching voltages when powered up.

If the 1,4 and the 7,10 are placed in the right series connection you should get nearly double your input voltage from lead 1 to lead 10 as whats being applied to the 1,4 winding, 4 and 7 are the center tap.

Phase one should be 1,4 and 7,10. Phase two should be 2,5 and 8,11. Phase three should be 3,6 and 9,12

Unfortunatly this can be very slow and time consuming even if you know what your doing. And may not prove to be 100% correct the first time either.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

12/09/2009 3:41 AM

Yep. Get the motor manufacturer involved ASAP.

12/09/2009 6:48 AM
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/09/2009 6:48 AM
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); fastreden (1); PWSlack (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Measure TI/MIG Power Output   Next in Forum: Running a Heat Lamp Down a Well Casing

Advertisement