Previous in Forum: HART Multi-drop Connections   Next in Forum: Instrument Loops and ILD Generation
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Bad Experience With OpLink

12/15/2009 11:26 AM

I just had a bad experience with OpLink, a test equipment service outfit in Georgia, and I wanted to share it.

I have a LeCroy WS454 scope which needs service, to the tune of $1500 from the factory. When I checked with OpLink they showed that they service that scope and that I needed to ship it there for an estimate. About a week after it arrived they told me three things: they couldn't obtain parts, the repair would be $2228, and it was "beyond economical repair". I'm not sure which of these actually applies. For this evaluation they charged me $100, and I had to pay return shipping also. The whole thing took 3 weeks, cost about $150, and I got nothing for my time and expense.

They say that they service the WS454 scope. It seems to me that if they can't perform the service for some reason, that's their problem and they should not charge me to tell me this. This whole procedure was just a little profit center for them, but cost me a fair amount. When I voiced my objection they disagreed and charged me the full amount anyway.

I will not be using OpLink again, and will recommend against them to anyone who asks.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: equipment OpLink service
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Bad Experience With OpLink

12/15/2009 1:52 PM

Was the fault one of the key components like the display or main board? I had this with a multimeter, the screen died and a new screen was more than the multimeter.

Manufacturer's spare parts can be notoriously expensive (and for good reasons) even before service center mark ups are added. This is especially the case for mass-produced products now days.

The whole thing took 3 weeks, cost about $150, and I got nothing for my time and expense.........They say that they service the WS454 scope. It seems to me that if they can't perform the service for some reason, that's their problem and they should not charge me to tell me this.

Standard service and transport charges, nothing abnormal about this at all (especially for a service centre). These are fixed costs regardless of the outcome of the service findings.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

12/15/2009 2:02 PM

In the interests of fairness, I've contacted OpLink about this post and have informed them that they are welcome to respond. The Everlast Plasma Cutter That Didn't Last is a good CR4 precedent here. I don't know whether OpLink will (like Everlast) join this discussion, but they are certainly welcome to do so.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

12/16/2009 6:27 AM

I am happy you posted, bad service should be publicised. It looks like they are a sort of "Con" company.......

This way, many customers might just say keep it and they then have all the rest of the scope for spares........very cheaply!!!

Next time make sure that you have a proper contract that shields you from such con artists!!!

Good Answers: 63

12/16/2009 7:57 PM

Oplink's repair policy with regard to its evaluation charge is easily found and clearly stated on its web site:

http://www.oplinksolutions.com/repair.asp

An image of their web page statement is inserted below:

I see nothing unusual about their evaluation policy or their policy for the prospect/customer to pay return shipping when repair is declined. The industrial control manufacturers, with whom I deal, have similar, if not identical policies.

From the episode described above, I don't see Oplink's actions as unethical, wrong, or a 'con' in any sense. It appears to me to be standard business practice.

For the record, I have no affiliation with Oplink.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #4

12/17/2009 11:23 AM

I disagree. If they can't service an instrument which they claim they can, I should not be liable for their full charge. What if they said they service the Gimmick 100, but only have the ability to replace the fuse? You send in your Gimmick, they say "sorry, can't fix it", and you're out the whole fee. Meanwhile they've charged their normal burdened rate and have suffered nothing. This is a silly example, of course, but the principle is the same. If they can't service an instrument they say they can, they should not charge their evaluation fee.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #5

12/17/2009 12:57 PM

GSA from me.

Sadly many con companies do this!!!

I could tell you some great tales in this area from here!!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Carl_E (1); gerritb (1); jack of all trades (1); Steve Melito (1)

Previous in Forum: HART Multi-drop Connections   Next in Forum: Instrument Loops and ILD Generation

Advertisement