Previous in Forum: Need help building a ski rope tow   Next in Forum: Adult stem cells grown from nose cells
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Bioenergy in the Sunshine state

03/24/2005 5:26 AM

I'm truly intrigued by the bioenergy initiatives that are taking place across the country. I'm fascinated by the way that they are being regionalized. The Minnesota legislature recently passed a biofuel law that requires diesel fuel sold in the state to have a certain percentage of corn bi-products. It doesn't hurt that corn is one of the biggest commercial interests in Minnesota and that this will help to remove surplus stock from the supply chain, helping to stabilize corn prices. Trucking unions are against it, though, for a variety of unions (but that's another story).

Now, Florida is getting into the act. The Florida Hydrogen Initiative is working with a company Ener1 to produce bioenergy from common Florida waste - citrus and theme park garbage.

Is anyone aware of other such initiatives?

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Participant

E+Co

03/24/2005 10:46 AM

Interesting post. Here's another company that is pioneering energy development in the 3rd world E+Co

Login to Reply
Anonymous Poster

I beg to differ

03/25/2005 4:20 PM

[posted on behalf of Biogrrl] King Maryland is really confused. "Biofuel" can mean many things. Corn-based ethanol is one type of biofuel, but it is blended with gasoline, not diesel. Future ethanol may be made from cellulose, which is found in woody biomass like trees. Ethanol is a fermentation product, like beer. When you make it out of corn with the "wet mill" process there are a variety of other co-products, including animal feed, carbon dioxide, and good old corn oil. ("Co-product" implies a more equal importance than byproduct; they each have to make a profit on their own.) I also believe corn prices are relatively stable compared to crude oil prices. Biodiesel, or fatty acid methyl ester, is the stuff that Minnesota is requiring be blended with diesel at a "B2", or 2% level. Biodiesel is made via chemical reaction from oil or fat -- typically soybean oil, and sometimes used cooking oil. The federal government has more than one incentive to support biodiesel. Many states are also considering incentives for production, distribution, or use of biodiesel or biodiesel blends.

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Previous in Forum: Need help building a ski rope tow   Next in Forum: Adult stem cells grown from nose cells

Advertisement