Previous in Forum: intel cpu cooler   Next in Forum: Community Wireless Internet - What Can Customers Do to Improve Performance?
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Active Contributor

Poor PC Sound Quality

12/20/2009 3:34 PM

Hi people!

I have one problem with my sound on computer. It start like this. I bought a cable to connect my computer to my TV. It`s a VDI-HDMI cable. I understand that this is for transfer an image and not sound, because my video card don`t support the audio transfer throw the same cable(N-vidia Geforce). But I want this, that I have an image on my TV and sound on my speakers that are connect directly to computer. The problem is when I play a song, I just hear some tones... i hear bass, treble... but I don`t hear people that are singing or some higher levels of tones.

What can I do??? It`s something wrong with my settings?

thanks for help

Also posted in: also posted in Software & Programming
Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: computer sound
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Australia - Member - Igor...pull the switch!!!

Good Answers: 11

Re: Problem with sound

12/20/2009 9:19 PM

change sound quality to 2-speaker or 4-speaker or similar

United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #1

12/21/2009 9:04 AM

CraziestOzzy is likely right. Typicaly most sounds cards, or integrated sound, have different setting for 2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc. If you are hearing tones but no voice, then your speaker setup is likely on 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1 and your sound card is trying to send voice to the center channel (which it should), however if you do not have a center channel speaker, then you will not hear voice. If you have two speakers (left/right) and no subwoofer, select 2.0. If you have 2 speakers + subwoofer, select 2.1.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

12/21/2009 12:38 PM

hmm... I already do that but didn`t work. The funny things is that... i have in background open winamp, which play a song and when I change sounf quality from list of different speakers (like from 2-speakers to 4-speakers or to 5.1 system) and when I try to test this, because you have a button to test the speakers, then it`s all normal, I can hear the people singing but only for the time when my speakers are running the test. When the test it`s finish, theh you don`t hear singing...

It`s possible that when I connect the HDMI cable, something got wrong and my sound it`s not the same as before... becouse I can not figure it out what went wrong

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

12/21/2009 6:02 PM

Assuming you are running a version of Microsoft OS, your system sound (located in Control Panel) AND your program you are using to play video AND the software that setup your soundcard must all have the same sound quality. All other programs must then be closed when playing video with your selected program, to prevent any conflict,

There is no need to do anything fancy...just connect video cable to your TV and sound to your speaker inputs (using output from your sound card).

I suggest using a bare minimum of 2-speaker for all apps and work your way up the ladder to better sound quality.

In reply to #9

12/21/2009 7:32 PM

Not quite correct.

If system sounds interfere then turn them off or use media center, other programs should continue without interruption. The speakers need to be self powered or an amp should be used.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #10

12/21/2009 11:50 PM

mate, please read again my suggestions before misinterpreting them as inapplicable in real life. You cannot turn off system sound and expect same to run

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #11

12/22/2009 12:49 AM

Yes you can, system sounds = windows sounds they have nothing but interference with media so turn-off windows sounds.

The OP's issue is of splitting the signal from the computer to two individual inputs, the signal isn't strong enough and the HDMI is monopolizing it exactly as designed.

The OP can run both audio and video to the TV but choose not to use the TV as the audio source; configure as passive or use a signal boosting splitter or use the electronic architecture's designed connection protocol ie the correct interface/adapter.

In reply to #13

12/22/2009 2:05 AM

i made reference to system sound configuration found in the control panel...not the system sounds "bells and whistles" that relates to emanating a sound when loggin off, opening a folder et cetera ...there is a difference between that and the system sound configuration found in the Control Panel that involves changing speaker configuration....read...speaker configuration.

I also will not go down the path of putting words in the OP's mouth...the OP stated that music can be heard and not voices...no amount of amplification or other proposals is going to change that situation unless all software issues are resolved

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68

12/21/2009 12:45 AM

Mr.simke,

Right, lets take this slowly...........

Right click your volume and you should get a choice of volume controls which you can alter. But you should also get a choice of how to configure your sound system. I would go through each setting, living room, theatre, church etc, and also choose the number of line out. This is the connection between the computer and your TV. Choose stereo, at least.

You can alter, or mute, and or balance the sound from the window that pops up when you right click the volume.

Alter just one slider at a time and click ok. See what happens. If you want to get back into it just right click the volume control and alter another sound slider.

Please note. Be certain you leave the lines out to your TV with the slider at mid way. When and if you get the sound as you like it you can adjust the treble and bass to your liking.

You should be able to get a wire set that goes from your computer via a transfer lead which has red, blue green and maybe yellow lines leading to your TV. This may not be part of the HDMI set up. Sorry but I just do not recall this detail.

Can you tell me exactly what you want to do and what sound and or video cards you have and whether they are separate?

Do what I suggest and let me know what happens and what you want to do. Because you say you do not want a separate cable from your computer to your TV for the sound? Well you may not have the choice?

Get back to me please when you have tried this.

Good luck

Look at these sites. You will see some have 'convertors' to allow sound through your HDMI cable.

1. Dvi hdmiwww.cabling4less.co.uk HDMI / DVI Cables and Adaptors 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Google Checkout

Search Results

Results include your SearchWiki notes for dvi-hdmi. Share these notes
    Copy and paste this link into an email or IM:

See a preview of the shared page
  1. HDMI to DVI Cables and DVI to HDMI Cables - Cable UniverseHDMI to DVI Cables and DVI to HDMI Cables available in a variety of lengths, styles and colours to fit all budgets. HDMI to DVI cables or DVI to HDMI cables ...
    www.cableuniverse.co.uk/.../hdmi-to-dvi-dvi-to-hdmi-cables/ - Cached - Similar -
  2. HDMI / DVI Adaptors - Cable UniverseBrowse our entire range of HDMI / DVI Adaptors Including VGA to HDMI Converters, DVI to HDMI Adaptors and HDMI to HDMI adaptors. ...
    www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cable/hdmi-dvi-adaptors/ - Cached - Similar -
  3. Shopping results for dvi-hdmi
    DVI-HDMI 2 Meter 6 Feet Super High Resolution Cable
    £1.51 new - Store.bargaincell.comStarTech.com DVI and Digital Audio to HDMI Converter Video converter
    £103 new - 65 storesBargaincell - Premium High Resolution DVI - Hdmi Male to Male Gold ...
    £1.13 new - Store.bargaincell.com
  4. DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?14 Feb 2005 ... As DVI and HDMI connections become more and more widely used, we are often asked: which is better, DVI (or HDMI) or component video? ...
    forum.ecoustics.com › Message BoardArticles - Cached - Similar - HDMI to DVI Conversion?‎ - 18 Dec 2008
    Is DVI to HDMI connection ok?‎ - 13 Dec 2008
    HELP!!! vga vs component vs s-video vs dvi vs hdmi‎ - 24 Jul 2005
    More results from forum.ecoustics.com »
  5. HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIn Europe, either DVI-HDCP or HDMI is included in the HD ready in-store ..... Both HDMI and DVI use TMDS to send 10-bit characters that are encoded using ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI - Cached -
  6. DVI to HDMI Adaptor : Pure Connectivity - HDMI and Digital : MaplinAllows a DVI lead to be converted to a HDMI connection; 24K hard gold-plated ... HDMI and DVI are both digital video connections that can be used together. ...
    www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97886... - Cached - Similar -
  7. DVI to HDMI Adaptor : Pure Connectivity - HDMI and Digital : MaplinAllows a DVI lead to be converted to a HDMI connection; 24K hard gold-plated connectors ... Q- will i still recive sound using DVI to HDMI Adaptor - thomas ...
    www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=97886 - Cached - Similar -

In reply to #2

12/21/2009 12:49 PM

Yes, i already try this different settings... living room, theatre... then rock, pop,... and I will try again, just to make sure, that I didn`t miss something.

I just bought the VDI-HDMI cable and I have nvidia graphic card which only transmit the graphics to my TV and not sound, it˙s not like ATI technology which have this to connect sound throw graphics car with S/PDIC... I just want to have my sound on my speakers, which are connected directly to my computer.

MY graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

12/21/2009 2:14 PM

This is a common effect of signal theft when connections are combined such as you're doing. You need and amplifier inline between the computer and the speaker and possibly a simple clean-box between the computer and amp. Or you could connect the devices as the architecture's designed.

In reply to #6

12/21/2009 11:51 PM

Hi me.simke,

You say your computer is acting strangely? What do you mean by this?

When you run the sound test on your computer, where you click a button and it does the test, and if you hear a certain sound it means you are correctly configured, that applies, as far as I know to the connections and settings on your computer only.

I misunderstood you. I thought you had the graphics working to your TV and also wanted the sound on your TV from any video played on your computer?

If as seems likely your now have the picture or video on your TV and you have the sound from your computer speakers............. Ummm, is this not what you want?

I may have read your original post on this thread wrongly.

Get back to me.

You know you can get a lot of help on this and other things by clicking the help button and picking a word, or typing a work or phrase?

The the to do is to try and set up your pic and sound as you want, then run a sound test, assuming that is what you are having problems with. If the sound test is fine, then you know you have the sound configured correctly. What may also happen is you may get a feedback from any connection to your TV or any other electronics which may alter and perhaps rectify the sound and or picture quality in accordance with your settings of your graphics card and general sound and graphics card on your computer. Though this is just surmising.

Please get back and tell me how close you are to getting the right set up you want, OK?

Good luck.

12/21/2009 4:36 AM

What advice is available from Nvidia?

In reply to #3

12/21/2009 12:55 PM

I have this graphics card GeForce 8600 GTS and only transmit image to TV. Well this much I know about it. I can say that my computer is acting strange lattly :)

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Re: Poor PC Sound Quality

12/22/2009 3:19 PM

It`s working :)

I try again this different settings... living room, theatre... rock, pop,... and I have found that I didn`t check carefully all of this settings. So, now I re-configure it and now it`s working properly

Well, it was my mistake that I didn`t check carefully this settings.

Thanks all of you for your answers and for your help

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

12/22/2009 10:22 PM

Good work! Thanks for the good word and Merry Christmas to you and yours

In reply to #15

12/23/2009 5:47 PM

glad to hear you fixed your software settings

In reply to #15

12/24/2009 4:52 AM

Hi mr.smike,

I thought it would be that. And am glad you have everything working as you want!

It is never easy trying to configure something that, for the most part you cannot see, is it? All you can do is ask a question here on CR4, and or read all the related details on the help section on windows?

Well done.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); babybear (3); bwire (4); CraziestOzzy (5); mr.simke (4); Vandarye (1)

Previous in Forum: intel cpu cooler   Next in Forum: Community Wireless Internet - What Can Customers Do to Improve Performance?
You might be interested in: Cable Laying Services, Cable Assemblies, Sound Cards

Advertisement