Previous in Forum: Welding Filler Wire and 7018 Electrode   Next in Forum: welding
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Anonymous Poster

How to Stick Weld 410 SS to Low Carbon Steel

12/29/2009 5:12 PM

I want to stick weld 410 stainless steel to low carbon steel. What rod should I use to weld joint the two materials?

Thank-you,

Bob L.......

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Bob

12/29/2009 5:53 PM

Bob,

Short answer is yes. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are a million details that will dictate what you ultimately use that you havn't provided. If it is something that lays on the ground and you want to stick it together use 6013/11 whatever. It will rust, but maybe you don't care. If you want to build a structural something there are issues for sure.

Tell us what you are doing.

Guru

In reply to #1

12/30/2009 9:38 AM

YOU SHOULD NEVER ATTEMPT ANYTHING SIMILAR TO THIS FOR ANY REASON!!!

We have no idea what the OP is trying to do. It is irresponsible to suggest such a process except under highly controlled laboratory conditions.

You could kill yourself permanently dead as well as half the neighborhood.

This process was used to make the Ni clad Cu sheets they make coins from in the US.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #2

12/30/2009 11:41 AM

And also bonded steel/Aluminum used to weld Al superstructures to steel decks on ships. You hurt my poor little feelings to think I would suggest that some welder attempt this in his garage. These bonded materials are available in many configurations for joining dissimilar metals. Happy Holidays!

In reply to #3

12/30/2009 11:46 AM

Well, it doesn't matter since "Bob" probably never came back to the site anyway.

He'll never get to feel the exhilaration of explosively joining dissimilar metals using a chunk of C4.

Cheers!

Power-User

Good Answers: 9

Re: How to Stick Weld 410 SS to Low Carbon Steel

12/30/2009 11:14 PM

I'd use E318-15,,(might be sold as 318-AC/DC),, welds well, slag pretty much flies of by itself as the weld cools,, fairly inexpensive rod. I've used this stuff with an an ancient Lincoln AC welder with no problems..

Cheers

Martin

Power-User

Good Answers: 18

12/31/2009 4:20 AM

You have have not given the thickness, type of joint (fillet/groove butt ) and other details like application etc.

SS 410 being a martensitic steel, when welded, produces as hard martensitic zone in HAZ, the hardness increases with carbon content.The HAZ is more susceptible to cracking.

To avoid cracking you may have to preheat the joint to min 250 deg.C and also post weld heat treat the joint to get optimum properties.

However SS410 could be welded to itself and also to CS by using E 309 (or) E310. electrodes with size 3.20 and 4.00 mm (if required) These austenitic SS electrodes provide as welded deposit of greater toughness and higher ductility and avoid cracking of HAZ throughout.

By using this electrodes you can avoid excessive pre-heating of the joint as well as post weld heat-treatment.

If required an initial preheating of 100 -150 Deg. C will help to avoid contamination by, oil, grease and other hydrocarbons and a proper wire brushing to remove any rust particles on the CS surfaces.

This is more economical and easily done.

Sridhar.

In reply to #6

01/05/2010 10:22 AM

This is the best answer! There aren't many electrodes that will surpass the diversity of 309. Whether it is Flux Cored, Solid or Coated, it does very well for Martensitic or Ferritic material to Carbon steel. It also works well for joining Austenitic to Carbon material. We have been successful in welding some types of Cast Iron with 309.

Power-User

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #8

01/05/2010 11:19 AM

Thanks Mr. Profemeritus. We have done lot Chimney parts with E 309 and have not come across any failures due to welding.

sridhar.

12/31/2009 5:54 AM

Stick welding 410 stainless to low carbon steel is easier when you use a 6011 rod. However, just make sure you get good penetration, and the joint should last a long, long, time.

Also, use a good (at least $3 a can) paint and/or primer to protect the joint and carbon steel.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

baxterm (1); lyn (3); Profemeritus (1); RDGRNR (1); Redfairlane (1); SRIDHAR (2)

Previous in Forum: Welding Filler Wire and 7018 Electrode   Next in Forum: welding

Advertisement