Previous in Forum: Cosmology: Sumerians Look On In Confusion As God Creates World   Next in Forum: chemical passivation in hvac chillers
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

Evinrude 15hp gearbox lube change

01/10/2010 1:51 AM

We have an Evinrude 15hp motor, and would like to change the lube in the gearbox as it has never been done since we have had it for last 3 years. Can anyone tell me how to go about this, and the best gear lube to use. The motor runs great. Just thought we should do this to keep it healthy. Thank you

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Evinrude 15hp gearbox lube change

01/10/2010 6:12 AM

Never had anything that small, but on the lower housing you should find two screws somewhere on the side of the housing. One near the bottom of the housing (drain) and one about a foot above it (upper level). They are probably countersunk so they will be flush with the housing surface.

Remove them both and the old oil should run out the bottom one. Drain completely. This may take a while.

The lube, get whatever the boat place recommends.The bottle should have a tapered spout. Cut the spout off at a point that the spout can be pushed/screwed into the bottom hole and gently squeeze the oil into the housing till it runs out the upper hole. Then, reinstall the lower and upper screws and head to the lake.

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

01/10/2010 6:45 AM

Great..Thanks for that..I will go into town tomorrow and check out the local boat shop and get the recommended lube. Thanks again for your help, Regards, Kerry

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1663
In reply to #2

01/10/2010 6:52 AM

When you are at the boat shop, you might just mention that you've never changed the oil in this particular motor before and they should give you some pointers if you ask.

Remember to recycle that old oil. If you have a chain saw, it'll make good chain lube.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202
In reply to #1

01/10/2010 11:50 PM

Make life much simpler and CLEANER, after you have filled the lower leg with the recommended oil through the lower drain hole BUT BEFORE you remove the bottle from the drain hole--> 1) thread the upper plug back into the lower leg, 2) remove the oil bottle from the lower drain hole and 3) thread the lower drain hole plug back into the lower lower leg. This avoids the oil draining out the lower drain hole while you are fumbling around to get the plug back into it while the oil is draining from it. The oil is thick enough and the passages in the gear box are small enough that the oil will not drain out the lower hole with the upper hole plugged.

Been There, Done That. Still works on my 30 year old Johnson and my 50 year old Evenrude which get used every year.

01/10/2010 11:13 PM

The gearbox oil should be changed every year regardless of whether the engine has been run or not.....the same applies to the water pump impellor

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); lyn (2); old salt (1); Wannabe Fisherwoman (1)

Previous in Forum: Cosmology: Sumerians Look On In Confusion As God Creates World   Next in Forum: chemical passivation in hvac chillers

Advertisement