Previous in Forum: Substations and Transmission Lines   Next in Forum: Selecting a Power Supply
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Participant

Running a Piston Compressor with a VSD

01/27/2010 6:04 AM

Good day engineers.

I have a piston compressor that I want to install and use a VSD for controls. A certain Engineer told me that one can not use a VSD on a piston compressor. Is this true? What are the disadvantages of using a VSD on the piston compressor.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 87

Re: Running a piston Compressor with a VSD

01/27/2010 7:38 AM

It is not unusual for piston compressors to run variable speed, however it is not a good idea to retrofit a machine designed for constant speed to variable speed without some serious engineering analysis.

Torsionals, pulsation, piston speed, lubrication, foundation design, valve lift and design, forces and moments all need to be considered.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796
In reply to #1

Re: Running a piston Compressor with a VSD

01/27/2010 8:47 PM

Good comprehensive answer.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Running a Piston Compressor with a VSD

01/28/2010 1:26 AM

At low speeds, whatever oil pump may be driven by the compressor might not be sufficient. This would be the main concern. However, piston machines typically have maximum rated speeds, but for long life are are often run slower, such as by selection of motor sheave. On large machines with few pistons, there might be resonance problems at some lower speeds, but I suspect that would be fairly unlikely. Your car engine typically runs fine from about 1000 to 5000 rpm, does it not?

Good Answers: 121

Re: Running a Piston Compressor with a VSD

01/28/2010 11:23 PM

MDLULIMD,

If I read your question correctly, the load is a constant torque type of load. You would need to choose a VFD (or VSD) suitable for this size motor and type of load. The manufacturers' literature should include sizing charts for your use.

--JMM

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jmueller (1); JRaef (1); Steve S. (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Substations and Transmission Lines   Next in Forum: Selecting a Power Supply

Advertisement