Previous in Forum: Working Fluid for Higher Temperature Heat Pipe?   Next in Forum: Muriatic Acid
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Food Grade Oil for Hard Boiled Candy

03/19/2010 8:06 AM

We are producing hard boiled candy by passing a high temperature sugar cooking mass on a SS rotating belt for cooling puprose. We would like to use some food grade oil to prevent the sticking of the candy on the belt and like to have some sources for the same for food grade application.

Also if any one has information on chemical coating to avoid usage of oil is also welcome. The coating need to be done at the work station only without removing the SS belt with a width of around 500 mm.

Any information for sourcing with application details is apprecaited.

thanks

shivaram

+91-9845756340

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

Good Answers: 10

Re: Non sticky oil for use to avoid sugar sticking on ss belt

03/19/2010 10:21 AM

First thought would be vegetable oil sprayed onto the stainless just prior to the application of the sugar. a drip pan could be installed under the line to capture the excess oil and send it back for re-use.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Good Answers: 48

Re: Food Grade Oil for Hard Boiled Candy

03/19/2010 11:59 PM

Your best choice is to treat your belt with either teflon or one of the newer non-stick coatings used for fry pans.

The material can be applied through a plasma spray system directly onto the stainless belt (even ON the machine with a qualified installer).

This will totally eliminate any risk of contaminating your product with any release agent and will last a very long time.

03/20/2010 9:15 AM

Non-stick Teflon coating will work up to 250ºC. There are many who do this as a vendored activity in Mumbai. I am afraid it cannot be applied in sitamu.

There is a medical grade high viscosity (20,000 cps) silicone oil available in the Indian market for lubricating disposable syringes. This is also limited to 250ºC. The belt probably has perforations. Food tends to catch on any burrs on the edges. Electropolising the contact surface helps.

Almost all vegetable oils have smoking point around 180-190ºC. There is a fire hazard above this.

I am away from Bangalore for the next few days. Please mail me through my profile if you need more info.

bioramani

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

03/20/2010 4:37 PM

Food grade mineral oil?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #3

03/21/2010 10:21 PM

Bioramani

Please get me in touch or send me your contact details

shivaram

03/21/2010 4:13 AM

You can try an elephant oil,the physical propety of this is liquid but when you spray it thinly,its texture becomes just like a thin powder,we used it before on our wrapping machine to prevent the hard boiled candies from sticking into the feed table.

And for the cooling tunnel,we are using molds/die set which is made of non stick material,i am not sure if this teflon or plastic but it is colored green.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

03/21/2010 10:27 PM

Hi

Can i have the elephant oils specification and contact details.

shivaram

+91-9845756340

03/21/2010 4:35 AM

1. The oil supplier and specifications if any would be appreciated. 2. Since the candy is at high temperature the oil used can not be recycled. 3. Any spray or chemical would be better.4. The sticking problem is faced even in packing machines. 5. Require a chemical,oil,spray coating with vendor and specs.

Register to Reply
Power-User

03/21/2010 10:19 PM

Following are the issues

1) Earlier Gemini make without refined oil was being used. It was stopped as the supply was stopped. This was changed to other refined oils and found to be non satisfactory.

2) Any equivalent oil with cklear specs and vendor would be appreciated preferably in and around bangalore. Other vegertable oils not foudn to be satisfactory like soyabin oil etc. Most importa lintly like to know the clear specification of oil to be used .

3) Since the oil sticks to high temperature candy on ss belt, it can not be reused.

4) Also any food grade spray and chemical coating- equivalent to fry span non stcinj coating- details if any would be helpful

5) Any plasma coating vendor who can do the job at site would welcome with his own tool and tackles as a permanent solution

The temperature of the mass is around 100 c and falls on rotating SS belt cooled by chilled water - 6 c spray. The oil need to be sprayed on ss bvelt to avoid stickling to the belts.

Any idea/inpouts welcome.

shivaram

+91-9845756340

Banaglore

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); Dances with Trees (1); energygod (1); shivaganti (3)

Previous in Forum: Working Fluid for Higher Temperature Heat Pipe?   Next in Forum: Muriatic Acid
You might be interested in: Flat Belt Pulleys

Advertisement