Previous in Forum: Outlook Express 6 - Everything Has Reset   Next in Forum: Laptop Security
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Associate

Connecting Laptops to External Monitors

03/19/2010 12:08 PM

I need a little help with the general process of connecting one laptop to the monitor of another. I have a dell inspiron that won't boot up and I won't to connect it to a hewlett-pac laptop to see if it is the monitor, could someone help me with some information on this process. Thanks.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United States - Member - Member in Good Standing

Good Answers: 61

Re: hooking up external monitor

03/19/2010 1:40 PM

Can't be done. The external monitor port most laptops are provided with is for connecting to a desktop monitor. But, if you have a desktop monitor handy, by all means hook it up.

The only way you can connect the LCD panel from the HP to the Dell is to physically remove it from the one machine and install it in the other. And this is assuming that they are interchangeable parts, which is by no means guaranteed. And this would of course also disable the HP, which one assumes to be still functional.

A bit more information would be helpful. From your original post, it sounds like you have a Dell Inspiron laptop which behaves normally on startup except that the screen will not light up. Is this correct? Does it light up at all, such as during the Power On Self Test (POST), when you first switch it on? Please provide a complete description of the machine and the problem, and there are many here who will be delighted to assist you.

BTW, one quick and dirty check. Try turning your Dell on and, after giving it a few minutes, gently press a lit flashlight against the screen. If it's lamp has failed, this will illuminate the screen to some degree and show you the problem.

Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #1

03/19/2010 2:47 PM

Any ideas on hooking up an old toughbook touch screen to a newer toughbook without?

I was hoping to use the older screen as a remote in my truck.

In reply to #3

03/19/2010 3:24 PM

Best idea there is to contact Panasonic for part numbers and manuals, though it seems unlikely to me that it will work. At the very least, the connections are likely to be different, and the BIOS is probably different as well. However, stranger things are known to happen.

Your best bet is to check online for ToughBook forums, to see if anyone has ever tried this in the past.

Good Answers: 245
In reply to #3

03/20/2010 12:33 AM

A touch screen is both a display and an input device. If the newer machine does not have a touch screen, it does not have the connections for the input device, so it can't be done.

In reply to #1

03/20/2010 12:46 AM

GA!

There is just the very slightest of possibilities that the screens would be interchangeable. techrestore.com actually has some tutorials on screen replacement. I haven't actually viewed any of them, but I have replaced a few laptop screens, and suspect the real purpose of the videos is to show most viewers that it is worth the money to pay someone else (like TechRestore) to do the job. Usual disclaimer...

03/19/2010 2:20 PM

Thank you for your information. I got the computer to reboot and it came up just fine. It pulled this no booting trick on me the other day. I do no that I have a monitor problem as it flickers on me alot and I will have to tap or thump the lower center portion of the back of the monitor in order to get it to stabilize. Its working okay now after I took the battery out and reseated it. What i was doing, is going to the dell splash screen and instead of moving forward from there it would just go blank, but the white power light would still be on and steady. To be honest with you, I spilled a little liquid on a part of the keyboard. As soon as I did this I immediately shut the computer down and unplugged it, put it under a fan, in the hopes that would help prevent any arcing and such and give the water time to evaporate without anything running in the circuit. I was afraid that this incident would be related to that, but it worked for days after that with no problem, and it is working again now. So I'll guess I'll just have to see what happens, it is kind of difficult to troublshoot something that isn't broke anymore.

As for the screen sometimes it will just change its intensity by getting dimmer, or flicker a little bit, or just go completely black, but you can still see the shadow of the screen, I have give it a couple of whacks to bring it back up. Any ideas on that would be appreciated. I figure it is probably some sort of loose connection there, and I guess I need to take the monitor assembly apart and see what I can find.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

03/19/2010 3:20 PM

Unfortunately, for most laptops a spill on the keyboard is the beginning of the end. Very few machines can survive a spill, and no consumer class machines that I am aware of. In almost all cases, a keyboard spill will necessitate replacement of the motherboard. In all probability in this case, some of the spill made it's way to the monitor connection under the keyboard, which is why you are having this problem. You may get lucky, but I fear you must be prepared for this machine to die on you in the rather near future.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #2

03/20/2010 10:24 AM

To be honest with you, I spilled a little liquid on a part of the keyboard. As soon as I did this I immediately shut the computer down and unplugged it, put it under a fan, in the hopes that would help prevent any arcing and such and give the water time to evaporate without anything running in the circuit.

If you did not immediately remove the battery then press the power button to expend the capacitance charge then it was a waste.

Meaning the actual problem is the keyboard which can be replaced...

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #9

03/20/2010 10:41 AM

A good reply.

And immediately tilt its upside down.

Regards

Register to Reply
Guru

Re: Connecting Laptops to External Monitors

03/20/2010 6:08 AM

Laptop Display is not a StandAlone Device. It is fully integrated in system & cannot be isolated from anyway because you can only activate the Display by booting

and here is the hinderance that it will display the system of its own & their is no VGA output for external displays.

can you make an adapter which has built-in PowerSupply & VGA-connections from your Laptop.

use the other laptop in a way that it Display connections are [power & Vga] stripped & brought to your adapter.

OR

unless you try:

Get full Display with its Inverter & connecting cables.

Make External Power Supply [Alternately from your Laptop]

Make patching Adapter containing VGA signals from your Laptop & power from Ext-Power supply or your laptop

Can build this all?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

In reply to #8

03/22/2010 4:48 PM

Ok so if I understand this correctly, I can use the extra Toughbook screen if I can power it up separate from the new toughbook, and I can get a display by using a VGA adapter and plugging it into the external monitor connector?

In reply to #12

03/22/2010 5:04 PM

No. The external VGA monitor connection is for connecting an external monitor only, and it runs through the circuitry of the motherboard anyway. The only way to use the LCD panel from this old laptop is to turn it into an external monitor. This would entail adapting a power supply and connections from a DVI or VGA plug to the panel, and building a framework to carry the whole mess. You might find that it would be less costly to simply purchase an external monitor.

In reply to #13

03/22/2010 5:18 PM

this particular monitor is the perfect size for mounting in my Land Rover, I have looked into purchasing another suitable moniter, however they don't make them that small any longer.

In reply to #14

03/22/2010 5:24 PM

Then you will want to use this panel as the basis of you new monitor. Start by pulling the panel out and checking it's nomenclature. Research that to determine it's pin connections, power requirements, and so forth. Then go from there. I've no doubt it can be done.

In reply to #15

03/22/2010 6:26 PM

As my daughter like to say, been there, done that, but I have no idea what I am looking at, electronics were part of a former life way back in the 70's.

I will have another look at the display and see what I can find out, never know a memory my get stimulated.

In reply to #14

03/23/2010 4:07 PM

I have looked into purchasing another suitable moniter, however they don't make them that small any longer

You haven't been looking in the right places

here

here

In reply to #23

03/23/2010 4:20 PM

The second and third, same place, are a great option. I had looked at the rugged tablet idea, but the cost was way too high, and I have a perfectly good toughbook that is only a year old.

Hard to explain some things to my wife, as in I 'need' another computer...

In reply to #13

03/23/2010 4:59 AM

Yes

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

03/23/2010 4:58 AM

Sorry NO

I am telling you to the Laptops connectors inside it.

It will automatically diconnect the screen of your laptop and only externally arranged screen will work.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2

03/22/2010 4:30 PM

Don't forget that on that Inspiron you have to tell the laptop whether to display the laptop monitor, the external monitor, or both. There is a function on the keyboard to accomplish this. -Illya

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #11

03/22/2010 6:23 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied. I did manage to get an error code from the diagnostics which came out to the hard drive. Since it is is still under warranty Dell is going to send me a new harddrive to install which isn't to bad, and they also told me if I still have problems with the screen flicker after this to send it to them and they will fix it. So its not to bad I guess. I did reseat all of the display connections and attachements on the monitor assembly, I am hoping this helps with the flicker and dimming problem since the diag always said everything was fine with it. I does seem a little more sturdy and secure now. Luckily I wont use any valuable info, Msoft flight simulator, Msoft 2007 premium, instead of the works that comes with vista. I can reinstall the flight simulator. I'll lose the 2007 since it was bought on corp pack plan, and only allowed two copies, 10 bucks, not bad, didn't pay the extra 20 for the backup discs. Oh well.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

03/22/2010 9:54 PM

This worked twice for my customers, find a seal-able tub put a bag of cheap cat litter in bottom punch several holes in the bag place closed laptop on the bag and seal the tub for day.

In reply to #18

03/22/2010 10:21 PM

I assume this is to absorb water. I didn't realize that cat litter was that hygroscopic! Is one day enough time? There are a lot of nooks and crannies inside a laptop...

All of this is assuming it was just water that got on the keyboard. If the liquid contained sugar and/or acid, as most drinks do, then rinsing with clean water (ideally distilled for the last rinse) would be required before drying. And of course all of this with the battery removed!

In reply to #19

03/22/2010 10:33 PM

The OP said water was spilled on the keyboard...Sometimes I've done this to dry things and I use cat litter or oil dry which is the same and yeah if you pop holes in the bag then seal the tub it will dry fast. I do use a 50lb bag though.

When cat litter sets out in pan exposed of course the effect will quickly fade.

Once upon a time we were loading oil dry into a holding bay on a ship. The desiccant was augured from a barge into the hold and suddenly a man slipped an fell into the pile. Before the augur stopped he was covered by about four of the grains. The man was recovered for the hold very quickly within 5 or 6 minutes but he was nearly dehydrated an needed IV's while floating in a vat of water to save his life.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bwire (4); Dances with Trees (5); dkwarner (3); DrMoose (5); Haajee (4); illya Leonov (1); jrf (2)

Previous in Forum: Outlook Express 6 - Everything Has Reset   Next in Forum: Laptop Security

Advertisement