Previous in Forum: Capacitor Bank For Chiller   Next in Forum: Variable Frequency Drive
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Power-User

Illumination with LED Tube Lights

05/04/2010 11:46 PM

Dear friends. Our company is planning to replace the existing fluorescent tube lights (4 feet) with LED tube lights(4 feet). Please let me know in case we can use the existing reflectors of F tube light for LED tube light. In case the solution is NO than what is the

Reason for it and in case we have to use new reflectors than how to design the new reflectors for LED tube lights. thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Re: Illumination

05/05/2010 1:59 AM

I think you can use old reflectors........their is nothing which Detroit in reflector with time....and that way you can reduce the cost also.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18

Re: Illumination with LED Tube Lights

05/05/2010 11:02 PM

If they're like the LED-tubes I sell here in Canada, which mount directly in fluo fixtures without modification, then you don't need to change the reflectors as long as the LED-tubes generate enough light.

To see how much light they generate, just replace one fixture's fluo lights with LED-tubes to see if the light level is close to the same. Reflectors don't matter very much for LED-tubes because the LED are mounted on a flat strip that faces downward ... they send no light behind the strip towards ceilings, so reflectors make little difference.

Apart from that, the main thing to watch out for is colour temperature. Make sure that it's close to the same as the old fluos. Either that, or take the change as an opportunity to change to a more suitable colour.

For the lights I sell, one four-foot replaces one four-foot T8 or two four-foot T12s. One of our foor-foots can also replace one eight-foot T12, but in those cases it's best to change the fixtures so that the LED-tube gets centred where the centre of the T12 is.

Hope this helps. Cheers! DZ

Good Answers: 293
In reply to #2

05/06/2010 3:53 AM

I guess that when fluorescent fittings were designed it didn't make any difference whether the pins were arranged horizontally or vertically:-

So now, if you're trying to replace them with "LED tubes" it will be a matter of luck as to whether it works well or not.

OR were all fluorescent fittings designed the same?

OR can you get both configurations of "LED tubes"?

OR am I missing something?

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #2

05/06/2010 4:51 AM

So these LED fixtures leave the old ballast in the circuit?

I suppose that allows future use of either, but that also means the ballast losses continue.

In reply to #4

05/06/2010 6:15 AM

GA: well, good question really. It seems to me that you'd need to worry about both the ballast and the starter when substituting an LED tube.

Don't some electronic ballasts increase the frequency.

I hope someone who knows about these things posts some answers.

In reply to #4

05/06/2010 9:41 AM

Hi Aurizon.

For the LED-tubes I sell, the ballasts and starters get taken out of the power circuits; 110/120 and 220/240 Vac go straight to one fitting (two pins on one side of the LED-tube). There's no power connected to the other side, the LED-tubes don't have power coming out the other end (fitting), and the fittings don't have to be change to ones that are short-circuited internally.

That last thing is significant. Several school boards that I'm seeling these to upgraded T12s to T8s, which required them to change one of each fluo-tube's end-fitting to a short-circuited one. The problem: doing so invalidated the fixture's UL (and CSA here in Canada, probably CE in Europe too) safety certification, so each type of fixture had to be tested for use with the replacement fittings. ANd of course, this was brought up in a mass broadcast AFTER most school boards had upgraded. And one week before I visited the one I'm seeling a 20,000-unit batch to .. very convenient timing ...

Cheers! DZ

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #9

05/06/2010 9:45 AM

One thing I forgot to ask ... Does anyone know of anyone who buys used ballasts?

We have a choice of either removing old ballasts once we wire them out of LED-tube power-circuits or to leave them behind, unused. If they can at least pay for themselves, we'll remove them and resell them; but if they have to be junked, we'll likely leave them there for demolition to pick up the cost of disposal.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

DZ

In reply to #10

05/06/2010 10:11 AM

GA for post #9

In reply to #2

05/06/2010 12:33 PM

dear friend

thanks for the information.

s.zia

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 4

05/06/2010 7:15 AM

You can get a retro kit that allows you to easily, but not cheaply, convert your exisiting four foot fluorescent fixtures to linear LED's It is pretty simple. Take out the old lamps and ballast. Screw in a couple mounting bars and a new transformer. Pop in the LEDs and connect the wires. You don't even have to remove the old mounting hardware. However, as I said, it is not cheap. Our payback would have been over 24 years. The new lights do come in a good range of color temperature and you can get cheap (value) lights or bright lights. Check out Albeo Technologies. They are certainly not the only maker, but I just happened to have looked through their product.

Register to Reply
Power-User

05/06/2010 9:02 AM

Once you install your first 48" LED replacement in an existing linear fluorescent fixture, you will immediately understand why the reflector is irrelevant.

The LED replacement will be a series of small point-source LEDs in a row along the length of the 'lamp' assembly, with the driver electronics onboard. Each individual LED has it's own 'lens' formed directly onto the substrate, and all of the light energy is directed downward with a limited dispersion.

NONE of the lighting energy is directed upward (to the rear) through the back of the LED lamp board, so the reason for the reflector used in a fluorescent lamp does not exist. This is one of the reasons for the higher luminaire efficiency numbers using LEDs as compared to other sources with similar source efficacy or overall
luminous efficiency numbers, as very little of the electricity used ends up wasted by producing light at angles that cannot be used. There is still some wasted energy producing heat, however, so this must be accounted for in the design and/or in the housing, and unlike some other lamps, high temperatures are NOT good for LEDs and waste heat must be vented outside the fixture (i.e. fully sealed fixtures may have a problem), but you will not have any issues whatsoever with reflectors.

In reply to #7

05/06/2010 9:33 AM

Well said, Sandman.

Good Answers: 10

05/10/2010 1:17 PM

The ones i picked up on EBay use no ballast. The light is also directed straight down. It does not matter if you use reflectors or not

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #13

10/12/2010 3:59 AM

We are a professional manufacturer that produce the led display, led panel light ,led tube and other led components.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); aurizon (1); DGCYS (1); DreadZontar (3); ieshiv (1); Jim Cartwright (1); Randall (3); salahuddin zia (1); Sandman (1)

Previous in Forum: Capacitor Bank For Chiller   Next in Forum: Variable Frequency Drive

Advertisement