Previous in Forum: Bushing Capacitance   Next in Forum: Difference of ELCB and RCD
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Participant

Utility Maintenance

05/17/2010 7:41 AM

i m working with a company, our power factor is going low for few weeks, how can i check capacitor capacity and how much rating capacitor should i install to improve power factor

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Commentator
India - Member - PROFESSIONAL Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - electrical planning - designing

Good Answers: 1

Re: utility maintenance

05/17/2010 8:21 AM

TYPICAL CALULATIONS ARE GIVEN FOR IMPROVING P.F Q1 TO Q2 FOR 567 KW

CAPACITOR SIZING CALCULATION FOR CAPACITOR BANK

Here,

KW=567.00KW
Q1=0.85
Q2=0.91

C

=KW X (TAN (COS

- Q1) - TAN (COS-Q2) )

=567 X TAN (COS - 0.85) - TAN ( COS-0.91) )
=567 X (0.62 - 0.455)
=567 X 0.165
=

KVAR

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 245
In reply to #1

Re: utility maintenance

05/17/2010 6:54 PM

See this recent thread for detail calculation: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/54230/Capacitor-value

- MS

"All my technical advices in this forum must be consulted with and approved by a local registered professional engineer before implementation" - Mohammed Samad (Linkedin Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/msamad)
Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Re: Utility Maintenance

05/18/2010 11:11 AM

From your question, I understand that the problem is started for few weeks only. There were no problem before. So that means your existing design for the selection of capacitor bank is correct. Now, how did you find out that power factor is going less. From the Pf meter?...The solution for your problem is not to add capacitors. But you have to find out the reason for this and rectify it. Investigate the type of load and what are those load when you noticed low power factor. Inspect individually these equipments for example motors, UPS, flouresent lamps etc. If really the initial selection of your capacitor bank is correct, you can find the reason of problem from these equipments. Rectify it.....otherwise ill you add capacitors again, if tomorrow the power factor gone less again??, ( or you just posted for getting information of capacitance selection??

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Alanvaderi (1); msamad (1); nascon (1)

Previous in Forum: Bushing Capacitance   Next in Forum: Difference of ELCB and RCD

Advertisement