Previous in Forum: how can i convert mmscf to sm3 & convert nm3 to sm3?   Next in Forum: Faraday Rotator
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Anonymous Poster

Alcohol and Chlorine Pools

05/18/2010 10:20 AM

Can you use alcohol to warm a chlorine pool?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Anonymous Poster

Re: alcohol and chlorine

05/18/2010 10:32 AM

Only by burning it.

Recommend you drink it before swimming - you won't be any warmer - but you won't notice the cold.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 53

05/18/2010 10:33 AM

Yes, I can.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

05/18/2010 10:37 AM

Location? What kind of pool? Why is warm chlorine required? What size pool? What are the wetted materials of this pool's structure? How is the chlorine contained? Temperatures? Pressures?

Alcohols and chorine don't react easily and the reaction products are toxic. Then, so is chlorine.

Alcohols are combustible, so it would depend on the burner design, though why burn alcohols when other fuels are cheaper? Which alcohol or alcohols? And where is it coming from?

In reply to #3

05/18/2010 1:40 PM

Our swimming pool always is cold. We have used a liquid solar blanket that has some rubbing alcohol. I wanted to know if another product had to be used other than alcohol to ensure that it did not harm a vinyl lining.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

05/19/2010 7:09 AM

All jokes aside - Isopropyl Alcohol mixed with the water in your solar blanket is there to prevent it freezing - and splitting the vinyl. You could use ethylene glycol, or any other anti-freeze compound to achieve the same end, but, I suppose, rubbing alcohol was used to cause the least contamination of the pool in case of leakage. Zydok.

Power-User

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #5

05/19/2010 10:35 AM

The "liquid solar blanket" products contain a liquid which is slowly released into the pool.

The ingredients only list isopropyl alcohol, which is why some people think that rubbing alcohol is warming their pool.

The active ingredient is not listed. After a little research, I found that the active ingredient is a compound such as Polyoxyethylene (2) lauryl ether. This compound spreads out as a very thin layer (a few molecules thick) over the surface of the pool. this greatly reduces water evaporation, which is a major source of heat loss for a pool.

The rubbing alcohol is just a carrier. It does nothing to warm the pool..

Tad (pool owner/chemist)

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283
In reply to #9

05/19/2010 11:47 AM

Excellent answer, Tad. GA

Every time I read your stuff, I learn something. Thank you.

05/18/2010 11:05 AM

My guess would be - Yes but you must drink large quantities to feel the effect.

Guru

Good Answers: 60

05/18/2010 3:57 PM
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #6

05/19/2010 8:00 AM

My neighbor put a solar heating unit in. Both of our backyards face the south, so they lined the solar heating panel all along his roof. Works great in spring and fall after you run the water for 2-3 days. We have a Propane Heat wish it was Natural Gas it would be a lot cheaper.

We also have a standard solar cover and use whats called solar fish.

The solar fish are bags that look like fish and release a chemical that acts like a solar cover depending on the size of the pool they can last from 2-4 months.

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Pool-Covers/Solar-Covers/Solar-Fish/D/30100/P/1:100:10001:800020/I/70701

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Ace Boeringa (1); Anonymous Poster (4); bakerjohn (1); Doorman (1); peterg7lyq (1); PWSlack (1); Tad (1)

Previous in Forum: how can i convert mmscf to sm3 & convert nm3 to sm3?   Next in Forum: Faraday Rotator

Advertisement